Fret Buzz Issue - Frets 1 and 2

Spawned

Reaction score
Hello,

Maybe this is in the wrong section but couldn't find a more appropriate one.

I have just changed my strings on my new guitar to some heavier gauge strings (EB Beefy Slinky 11-54 for the 'standard' 6 strings) and a 68 for the low string (tuned to ADGCFAD).

I also had to add an extra tremelo spring as I could not get the guitar to tune correctly wthout it.

I have noticed that I have some fret buzz on the 1st and 2nd frets (mainly on the 2 low strings - A nd D), nothing major but could do with getting rid of it.

One thing I haven't done yet is adjust the truss rod as I wanted to wait a few days to see what effect the new strings and added spring will have on the neck.

I figure that a small adjustment of the truss rod will sort out the fret buzz but not really sure whether I need to tighgten or give some relief to the neck? Any suggestions please? (will be my first time potentially adjusting a truss rod but you gotta start somewhere).

The action seems ok at moment and the bridge is slightly higher on the low string side, which is to be expected i suppose due to the thicker strings.

Any suggestions as to what I need to adjust or a combination of things that I should try to get rid of the fret buzz?

Thanks!! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Bile

Reaction score
You probably don't have enough relief. What I do is fret at the first fret with one hand, then fret at around fret 22 with the little finger of my other hand and reach over to fret 10 with my thumb to see how much relief there is. Adjust the truss rod in 1/8 of a turn increments. Repeat as necessary, but with small adjustments and leaving it to settle you should have no problems.

Spawned

Reaction score
You probably don't have enough relief. What I do is fret at the first fret with one hand, then fret at around fret 22 with the little finger of my other hand and reach over to fret 10 with my thumb to see how much relief there is. Adjust the truss rod in 1/8 of a turn increments. Repeat as necessary, but with small adjustments and leaving it to settle you should have no problems.

Ok cool, thanks for the reply. I shall give your technique a go and see how much relief there is.

It's weird because I always thought that adding heavier strings would require a tightening truss rod adjustment, but I suppose adding the additional tremelo spring aswell has altered that!

Fringe

Reaction score

This is absolutely the right way to do it, found a vid a while back where it is explained really good:

Spawned

Reaction score
This really is an excellent video.....made me feel a lot more comfortable about truss rod adjustment!!

Cheers :)

')