Fret buzz issue on a single fret

• Thread starter elkoki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elkoki

Reaction score
I’m having fret buzz when fretting down the first fret of the B and G and only on these strings , all the other strings are fine . For whatever reason there is a high spot there , I don’t know if the fret lifted up or something ? What would something like this cost to fix ? What’s a fair price for a luthier / tech to charge for something like this ? The frets are stainless steel frets , so this is not an issue of wear . Would it be safe for an inexperienced person such as me to try an tap the fret down with a hammer ? Lol

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the fret actually high?

That would be my first recommendation, check to see what exactly you're dealing with. A low first fret, or a high second. It might not even be a seating issue, but a crowning issue, or even a hump in the board. Straighten out the neck and check with a straight edge, rocker, and notched straight edge.

You're welcome to try tapping the second fret down a little. Use a small faced, hard plastic mallet. But keep in mind, if the fret itself isn't bent right you could just "see saw" it into being a different problem.

Taking it to a pro, having them evaluate the issue will probably cost whatever their minimum is, and depending on what needs to be sorted the price can vary significantly.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I’m having fret buzz when fretting down the first fret of the B and G and only on these strings , all the other strings are fine . For whatever reason there is a high spot there , I don’t know if the fret lifted up or something ?
The second fret may be lifted. On both of my Ernie Ball Music man the first fret b and G buzzed like hell and was fixed by adjusting the relief in the neck slightly. I like super low action but on that guitar for tapping etc
as it is a 10 inch radius it is kind of high.

What would something like this cost to fix ? What’s a fair price for a luthier / tech to charge for something like this ? The frets are stainless steel frets , so this is not an issue of wear . Would it be safe for an inexperienced person such as me to try an tap the fret down with a hammer ? Lol
Even if you had to have a luthier pull the fret and reseat is that is like a 10 minute job. Crowning/levelling the rest of the frets is crazy talk and as you said stainless. Tapping it with a hammer may work. Worse comes to worst will be a setup but I see even that as gouging.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elkoki

Reaction score
The second fret may be lifted. On both of my Ernie Ball Music man the first fret b and G buzzed like hell and was fixed by adjusting the relief in the neck slightly. I like super low action but on that guitar for tapping etc
as it is a 10 inch radius it is kind of high.

Even if you had to have a luthier pull the fret and reseat is that is like a 10 minute job. Crowning/levelling the rest of the frets is crazy talk and as you said stainless. Tapping it with a hammer may work. Worse comes to worst will be a setup but I see even that as gouging.

Yeah I found that giving the neck a tad more relief and slightly higher action makes the buzz go away as long as you don't hit the strings too hard but I would prefer to have the neck a little straighter with slightly lower action. As it is it plays good but it would be amazing if I could rid of the buzz on that spot. The first 4 frets rock but i'm not sure what's high and what's low, i'll likely take it to a tech and hope it's not too expensive.