Fret Buzz Issues? (Cheap China Guitar)

Reaction score
I have a cheap guitar from China I have been having issues with (I know, its cheap, its chinese, but I like it more than more expensive guitars I own and have owned for some reason). Its a no name Douglas, so its straight from the factory before Rondo Music gets ahold of it I guess. Anyways its like no matter what I do with action and the neck I am having fret buzz SOMEWHERE.When I got it the dude had the neck so straight that all my lower frets were just buzz city. Loved the low acion but it wasnt logical. The way I have it setup right now I am no longer getting buzz in my lower frets (1st through 5th) but now on my 17th fret and up I am getting buzz. I dont play on those frets really as I am just a lame rhythm guitarist but I am curious as what is going on here? The neck seems fine, better than Ibanez GIO necks I have seen by far but my action isnt that low. Is there too much relief in the neck now causing higher frets to buzz? Taking my guitar to a professional is not an option as there is no good luthiers around me.

Does this come down to just needing some frets filed because I know if I tighten that rod even a quarter of a turn my lower frets will start buzzing as they almost ALWAYS buzz a tiny tiny bit no matter what? I figure it is straight from the factory it doesnt even have the conductive paint in ANY of the cavities and the headstock was completely unfinshed when I got it. I can not take it to a professional as the only one around me made a few of my guitars even worse and didnt even touch my action and the other one is the dude I got this guitar from and his setups the necks are too straight and its buzz city.

Sorry for the book/essay and thank you to anyone willing to read my ramblings and give me some input.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Yup, a fret level/crown/dress can do wonders to an instrument, and it's one of the things most noticeable between a custom shop & an import with regards to how much attention they provide to an instrument beyond simple assembly & intonation.

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Yeah honestly you are going to need to do a leveling or a partial fret leveling at least. Not the end of the world considering your taste. I like pretty low action so most guitars I come across sub $1000 (indo) need a fret dress or partial dress. So for me factoring that on a cheap Chinese instrument is no problem as I’d have to do it anyways on a “higher end import”

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I basically factor in the cost of a fret dress into every guitar purchase. It's common to need it from the factory that I don't even bother getting upset at fretwork out of the box anymore.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
Sounds like it needs a fret dress if when the neck is straight and has had a setup still buzzes on the lower frets sounds like the frets are not even and such. Although if I was in your position I wouldn't spend the money on something like that for a chinese guitar, but you say that you like it compared to some of your more expensive stuff so do as you please

Reaction score
So I imagine all the frets would probably need filed down a bit? They do look untouched (I think?) as I can look at my Conklin and the fretson that look a little filed and not so rounded off like on Chinese junker. Could that be something I learn to do myself? I dont have the best of choices for luthiers around me and if I bring them a cheap chinese guitar they wont take it/me seriously haha.

Thats just it, I dont think I would pay someone to do it. If anything maybe experiment and try and learn. If i mess up the guitar I could care less really as its dirt cheap but I like the scale length and IDK I dig it for some reason but if I messed it up its really whatever.

lewis

Reaction score
So I imagine all the frets would probably need filed down a bit? They do look untouched (I think?) as I can look at my Conklin and the fretson that look a little filed and not so rounded off like on Chinese junker. Could that be something I learn to do myself? I dont have the best of choices for luthiers around me and if I bring them a cheap chinese guitar they wont take it/me seriously haha.

Thats just it, I dont think I would pay someone to do it. If anything maybe experiment and try and learn. If i mess up the guitar I could care less really as its dirt cheap but I like the scale length and IDK I dig it for some reason but if I messed it up its really whatever.
There are plenty of excellent tutorials on youtube showing how to do all kinds of luthier style jobs.
You will need a few specific tools for the job. But they are not that expensive and its a good investment because once you learn how to do it, you will likely always want to and will then have the tools to on hand.

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score

If you are planning on doing yourself then go ahead! Especially since it is a cheapo guitar it wouldn't matter if it gets trashed or whatever, but I highly doubt that would happen if watch a couple of videos, read some articles, and get the proper tools you should be good!

Latest posts

')