Fret Buzz

alexjg391

Reaction score
Hi, I have an Ibanez S7420 (the one made in Japan in 2000) and I have terrible string buzz on my 7th string (tuned to G#) which is making the string almost dead sounding and unplayable. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of it: raising the action (no matter how high I put it, the buzzing still remains), shimming the floyd rose saddle and shimming the nut (this made it slightly better, but then the action was so high off the first fret, it was quite uncomfortable to play). Also, the truss rod looks ok to me, so I haven't touched it. Strangely, if I press down on the string where it is locked in place by the saddle, it seems to get better... I use a 64 for this lowest string. I had used a 62 and a 66 before in the same tuning with no problems, but even though I didn't changed anything between restrings, the 64 just wouldn't work. I have also checked for any loose screws or parts, but everything is fine. Does anyone have a clue what is wrong and what I can do to fix it?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, all the other strings play perfectly now I've set the guitar up, so I don't think its anything to do with the frets or the neck, otherwise I guess all the strings would be affected.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the frets level?
What's the neck relief look like?
Have you played around with the neck angle?
Is the trem sitting at the proper zero angle?
Have you cleaned/replaced the string lock?
Are the trem posts true?

alexjg391

Reaction score
The frets all look level to me.
The neck has a little bit of relief in it, but not too much.
By the neck angle, do you mean adding shims to where the neck meets the body? I guess I could try this, but it doesn't make sense that all the other strings are perfect if this were the problem.
I have had a fiddle around with the string lock (haven't replaced it though), it looks fine to me, no damage.
And I have the trem blocked off, so the trem posts wouldn't really affect it too much would they? (I don't have a huge amount of experience in trems as I always block them off on my guitars, so I may be very naive in saying this).