Fret buzz

totalnewb

Reaction score
have my guitar tuned to D standard. I am getting fret buzz only on the 8th fret of the top D string. ( the thick one). Doesn't happen anywhere else. Doesn't come out of the amp as far as I can tell.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Senior

Reaction score
9th fret is probably a shade high at the bass end. Either its worked a bit loose from the fingerboard wood or its just too high. a hammer will fix the former, sandpaper and steel wool will fix the latter.

Thrawn

Reaction score
A little bit of fret buzz isn't a bad thing. If it plays well and you can't hear it out of the amp then I wouldn't worry about it.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
You don't want to play some of my guitars then :lol:

Yeah, if you cant hear it then .... it.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
To give you some perspective, I've got a little buzz all over the place on all my guitars... but it's what most would consider "acceptable" buzz because it's nearly impossible to have action as low as mine without some buzz.

When you change the tuning of your guitar, you'll need to adjust the truss rod and string height to compensate. The looser string tension will allow the neck to bow backward more than when it was in standard tuning, which can cause buzzing. Also, the looser D string (formerly E) has a wider vibration arc, and will naturally buzz if the setup isn't adjusted. Depending on the guitar's scale length, string gauge, etc. you may never be able to eliminate that buzz completely when you use dropped tunings--especially if you switch back and forth a lot. If you switch a lot, you'll have to accept that one tuning will buzz (or will buzz more than the other tuning).

And, in the end, as others have suggested... don't worry about it if you can't hear it through the amp :D

totalnewb

Reaction score
Thanks guys, not sure how to give you all 'thanks' but will like and add rep to each of you.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
You might want to have someone comfortable doing a setup on your guitar take a look at it.

If it is only one fret on one string buzzing, it may be a lifting or high fret. If you notice more buzzing in the same area (around that side of the neck near the 8th and 9th strings) you might need a bit more relief in your neck (a truss rod adjustment).

totalnewb

Reaction score
I took it to a guy in town who does a lot of work around here ( live in a small town) he said he didn't see anything wrong with the frets, upped the action just a tad on it ( I think) and it went away. Doesn't really play much different so I can't complain. The upper D string is a tad looser, but not much comp to the other strings now, but the buzzing has stopped. It was just on the 8th on the thick D string. Nowhere else.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
I took it to a guy ...upped the action just a tad on it ( I think) and it went away. Doesn't really play much different ...
That's exactly what you needed then. It's such a relief when you find someone who knows what he's doing. :hbang::shred:

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is "If you don't have any fret buzz, then your action isn't low enough."

')