Fret Ends!!!!

• Thread starter dansk_84
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dansk_84

Reaction score
Hi guys

One of the things that has really frustrated me with my previous builds is the fact that i am never able to file my fret ends down so they are exactly flush with the side of the fingerboard without damaging my finger board, even when they do appear to be flush i can still feel them as i run my hand up and down the side of the neck.

Can anybody give a method of filing down the fret ends that ensures the fretboard is undamaged and will give a perfectly flush finished, also is there any tools out there that can help with this?

I hope someone out there can help

Dan

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnroach

Reaction score
Hi guys

One of the things that has really frustrated me with my previous builds is the fact that i am never able to file my fret ends down so they are exactly flush with the side of the fingerboard without damaging my finger board, even when they do appear to be flush i can still feel them as i run my hand up and down the side of the neck.

Can anybody give a method of filing down the fret ends that ensures the fretboard is undamaged and will give a perfectly flush finished, also is there any tools out there that can help with this?

I hope someone out there can help

Dan

Hi
There are a few pretty good tools for this thing.
The factory one:
STEWMAC.COM : Fret Beveling File
the cheapo home-made stuff(it will do the work fine enough)
35 Degree FRET BEVEL FILE OAK LUTHIER TOOLS GUITAR TOOL - eBay (item 290485060559 end time Nov-06-10 12:33:05 PDT)

I hope this helps! post some pics!

Self Bias

Banned
Reaction score
I recently installed a buncha' Evo Gold in my cobbled together SG thing. The file i used to bevel was quite a bit straighter than the sides of the fretboard. Resulted in an improvement to the fretboard-haha. The high spots are no longer visible after a small amount of follow up work. Rosewood is very user friendly like that. Maple- not so much.
The StewMac file will still knock down any high spots out of the sides of your fretboard, leaving open wood. Take the frets to just the point of wood, then clean the minor blemishes left from the file.

dansk_84

Reaction score
That looks like it would be exactly what i need, i recon ill try and make my own though as im trying to do every thing on a budget now.

All im really looking for is a block that can hold a file at 35 degree angle, how hard can that be

Cheers dude for quick reply

dansk_84

Reaction score
Im sorry, you must have replied when i replied so i never saw your message.

Dont want to come accross rude

Andrew_B

Reaction score
i just bevel mine by eye with my leveling beams... clean up with a small jewellers file.
before that i used a flat bastard file... and cleaned up with a self made cant saw file.
never had a problem.

dansk_84

Reaction score
What exactly is a beveling beam.

Now ive asked this its probably something really obvious

Andrew_B

Reaction score
leveling beam

stewmac sell them, come in a couple of lengths, just heavy steel tube with surface ground sides, you stick sandpaper to the sides, for leveling finger boards and frets.

i have a thread on fretting on here somewhere

dansk_84

Reaction score
For some really i read Beveling beam when clearly you wrote leveling beam, mmm i may need glasses i recon.

Basically its just a large perfectly straight sanding block, i think i need to get me one of them.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
buy two... one can be your beveling beam and the other your leveling beam :lol:

but seriously....
i have two,
thats 4 flat sides,
and 4 different grits of sandpaper to alternate between,
which makes jobs go faster....
i use them for leveling fingerboards ready for fretting,
leveling frets, bevels, and various other odd/general uses...
a flat sanding beam is very handy to have around.

Latest posts

')