Fret rehydration???

• Thread starter rob_707
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
hey guys im kinda stuck in a jam, im in the process of restringing the fret board, and i ran outa the hydrating stuff from planet waves. i need something that i can use that is a everyday household item is there anything that will work???? i dont have lemon oil and its sat so the music store is closed and isnt open sundays!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what you mean by "Fret rehydration", but I'm assuming you mean rehydrating the fretboard wood? If so, I just clean the fretboard and use a little lemon oil every time I change the strings. If I didn't have lemon oil... Well, I'd go out and get some, because I'm not sure what household item I could use for that.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Lemon oil is pretty good for that. I use Ernie Ball's fretboard conditioner wipes, and a local music store stocks them so I don't really worry about running out.

Of course, I play bass and I only change strings about every 6 months...so I don't use very many.

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
lol sorry i shoulda put a better discription, i am rehydrating the fretboard, but the thing is the music store is closed atm, and they dont open sundays. i dont have lemon oil on hand

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Many grocery stores sell lemon oil. It's usually with the cleaning products.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regular mineral oil works great. In fact thats typically the oil used in most "Lemon Oil" blends/products.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Regular mineral oil works great. In fact thats typically the oil used in most "Lemon Oil" blends/products.

He said it before I saw this... Walmart open 24/7 and you get a huge bottle for $3. It's clear so you don't have to worry about it staining your board like you have to with many other oils. :yesway:

aiur55

Reaction score
I use Gorgomyte and it is BY FAR the best fret and fretboard cleaner and conditioner!

Way better than any lemon oil.

It polishes your frets, cleans your fretboard and conditions your fretboard.

Wow, I sound like an advertisement.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Dont re-oil it everytime you change strings, it's not healthy for the wood. Once every 4-6 months is more than enough

rob_707

but will it Bethesda?
Reaction score
Dont re-oil it everytime you change strings, it's not healthy for the wood. Once every 4-6 months is more than enough
ya i know, but i havent changed the strings on this bass for about a year haha, havent had time to play it and now i do :)

Daiephir

likes peanut butter
Reaction score
I use Gorgomyte and it is BY FAR the best fret and fretboard cleaner and conditioner!

Way better than any lemon oil.

It polishes your frets, cleans your fretboard and conditions your fretboard.

Wow, I sound like an advertisement.

I just love how you say that as if it's an undeniable fact without any proof to back you up :nuts::noplease:

Latest posts

')