Fretboard inlay.. What to do?

• Thread starter SnowfaLL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I been trying to finalize a design for my fretboard, but I have no idea if I wana go thru with my current idea.. This is the mockup I got back from the dude.. It will be on maple fretboard (might try to do a flamed fretboard)

I dunno tho.. Can you tell me guys what you think of it? Would it look cool (its going on most likely a 7 string BC rich Stealth shape, Dark blue quilt body/HS, Edge Lopro7 + 2 hum) or should I think of another inlay? It will be a 12th fret inlay only though, I know that for sure.

NICK.jpg

Of course, here is my mockup of it, on a Kelly (no stealth mock)

NickKelly4-1.jpg

I think in my mockup, it looks badass, but the mock the guy sent me... doesnt look as cool.. Obviously in terms of dimensions its very hard to get them close, but I dunno.. I dont wanna keep bugging him to change everything (which I already did like 5 times).. but maybe I'll just resize the mockup I did, and copy dimensions exactly from that and put it on his board mockup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Put pentegrams and demons raping virgins and shit. Come on, you know you want to.

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
Never mind, just went into your post and got it. Pretty cool, reminds me of Marty Friedman :p I wouldn't put a star on my guitar but it's cool

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think somewhere between the two would look best. His mockup has the yellow star too small, yours has it too large, at least for my tastes. It's your guitar though.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's missing a major design element:

BAM!

SOK!

KAPOW!

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO the first one is better (smaller yellow bit)

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck that, I demand EVERYONE know exactly how I'm thinking and feeling at any given moment. Oh wait, I'm not a woman, scratch that.

EDIT: I'm finally 1337. I have to create a new account now to make sure that this glorious post count is preserved for all eternity.

Reaction score
jj rodriguez youve got 1337 posts! :yesway: :lol:!

anyway, you could obviously tell he was joking.

I dont know if I like the idea of a yellow and blue inlays on the FB tho... :ugh:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
its suppose to be orange, just looks yellow o-o.. and coloured inlays on maple FB = pro

black inlays on maple is retarded, and MOP blends in so you cant even really tell its an inlay from any distance past 3 feet

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
What does that star design mean? Does it have any significance behind it? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I've just never seen it used before. I think it's a little big, if I were going for a 12th fret inlay only I might make it smaller, but that's just me. :yesway:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO the first one is better (smaller yellow bit)

+1 the first one looks better :agreed:

What does that star design mean?

I'm curious as well. I know it has several meanings/uses in the occult, but no idea if that's why or using it or just because it looks cool.

If I get another KxK one of the things I was considering was a seven pointed star for the body inlay...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
black inlays on maple is retarded, and MOP blends in so you cant even really tell its an inlay from any distance past 3 feet

Tell that to Jeff Loomis. No, really. Also, abalone on maple = owns your soul.

What does that star design mean? Does it have any significance behind it? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I've just never seen it used before. I think it's a little big, if I were going for a 12th fret inlay only I might make it smaller, but that's just me. :yesway:

Yes - it's on one of Marty Friedman's guitars. :flame:

')