Fretboard oil trouble?

• Thread starter mizfi7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mizfi7

Shreddin it up!
Reaction score
So i clean and oiled my fretboard with dunlop guitar fingerboard kit and ever since my guitar sounds pinger when i play and the and the first couple frets buzz a little more and the middles barrely buzz anymore(they use to buz more.)But can oiling a fretboard do that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
if the necks never been oiled before.. theres a possibility of some kind of movement,
whether the fretboard has swollen or the temperature has done something to it...

another thing could be .... you have taken off your strings to oil it...
and the new ones need time to settle in....

:)

Solstafir

Reaction score
^^ Precisely. Oiling shouldn'd do a thing to change ur neck's condition. But considereing you removed the old strings (relieving the neck of any tension) and restringing it (re-issueing tension) could do that, at least til the new strings settle. Did you stretch them enough after restringing?
There should also be slight variations in your tuning stability til they settle, shouldn;t be any problems

vansinn

Reaction score
I was more thinking even worse.. that with strings off, the relieved neck could've made the frets come loose, if they weren't glued-in correctly, and the board was somewhat dry, and too much oil was used and excess not wiped off shortly after being applied.. YMMV..

')