Fretboard Wisdom Needed

LapseGuitar

Reaction score
In short, I'm new to the process of building guitars and currently attempting to build a electric 8 string. I'm hoping to hear what all you experienced builders use as a process once you have the frets freshly installed on your fingerboard. In what order do you:
  • Level Frets
  • Crown Frets
  • Install Nut
  • Cut nut slots
  • File Fret ends
  • Bevel Frets
  • Install Inlays
  • Attach Neck to Body(it is going to be a Bolt-On)
  • Set Action
  • Adjust Truss Rod
  • Set Intonation
Obviously some processes have a forced order,and I'm forgetting to put some steps in. I'd like to hear what you more experienced builders have as a process. No such thing as too much information here. Thanks so much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Probably will hear some different answers, here's mine:

I start with a shaped fretboard, but not radiused
Run it through my slotting jig
Install dots/inlays etc
Glue it to the neck then shape neck to my fretboard
Carve the neck - wait a week for everything to settle or shift
Radius the fretboard with beam sander - any shifting from above step will be taken out here
Re-slot the fretboard with a depth stop to follow the contour so I'm not cutting any deep than I need to from the previous step
Cut frets - slot the tangs on a jig
Press in several at a time, with a super small amount of super glue dabbed on the tang
Bevel frets
Level frets
Crown the frets
Use fret corner file to take the sharp edges off
Tape fretboard and polish frets - starting at 400 grit, working up to 1000, then on to micro mesh pads from 1500 - 12000
I don't cut a nut slot in the fret board but instead sandwich it between the fretboard and headstock laminate - will make a rough version of a nut here
Test action height before committing to bridge installation/placement
Then install bridge
Then place pickups on string centerlines

Hope that helps, just kinda spewed that out but basically what I've been doing each build.

LapseGuitar

Reaction score
Helps a ton KR250. Thanks for the info! Love hearing everyone's process.

adrianb

Reaction score
I would say installing the nut and cutting nut slots (which includes adjusting the overall height of the nut and depth of its slots) should come after fret leveling and crowning.

')