Fretless piccolo bass solo

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

Let me se if I get this straight, He has a lefty but he still has the lower strings toward the floor. Thats cool.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Go with what works I guess. I've seen other bass players (Jimmy Haslip for instance) who play with that arrangement without any apparent problems.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
that´s what happens when bass/guitar companies don´t make lefty instruments... lefty people just flipém over and playém the wrong way...

this guy seems to have gotten used to that, and when getting the bass he´s playing, he had it strung up that way, cuz´that´s what he´s used to now :p
(notice it IS a lefty bass, just strung the right-handed way)

happens alot, really...

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
So...what again is the difference between a piccolo bass from a guitar with a long scale, minus electronics of course.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say the main differences are tone & feel. Even baritone guitars are usually well under the 34" scale of a bass, and coupled with the convention of bassists playing with a much higher string tension & therefore string gage can lead to a very contrasting tone even when playing the same pitch.

There's also string spacing & action issues that would suggest that bassists could be more comfortable playing a piccolo bass than a guitar - so they can use their same finger techniques.

Think of the sound of a normal bass and how easy it is to distinguish it from guitar even when the bassist plays on their high D & G strings which overlap the range of a guitar.

D

Desecrated

that´s what happens when bass/guitar companies don´t make lefty instruments... lefty people just flipém over and playém the wrong way...

this guy seems to have gotten used to that, and when getting the bass he´s playing, he had it strung up that way, cuz´that´s what he´s used to now :p
(notice it IS a lefty bass, just strung the right-handed way)

happens alot, really...

my thought aswell

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
:yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: Wow... that was really stellar. I love his use of atonal stuff.

Let me se if I get this straight, He has a lefty but he still has the lower strings toward the floor. Thats cool.

It's called upside-down-backwards. My first guitar teacher played that way, because that was the way he first had a guitar handed to him... Dick Dale plays this way also. It doesn't help the necessitation for a left-handed guitar however. My teacher simply had a LP double-cut (which is symmetrical) that had the electronics reversed in it.

Latest posts