Fretting hand thumb placement

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've poked around online trying to find the best way to place the thumb on the back of the neck. Some suggest the thumb should point towards the headstock while others place it in conjunction with the ring and middle finger. I figure its a matter of choice but I am experiencing minor pain in my thumb and index finger. My thumb lags as I go up and down the neck sometimes and I feel I am inadvertantly tensing up and straining my wrist. Tips? Tricks? Maybe some excercises to work this stubborn digit? Maybe just cut off my thumb and offer it as tribute?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Unless you are playing a guitar with a Stephen's Extended Cutaway, you are probably going to find that your thumb will move to different parts of the neck as you progress up and down the neck. This is just the result of the neck joint combined with the cramping of the frets further up the board. If you are feeling strain, that is because you are gripping the neck too hard. You should only be holding down just enough to cause a clean note. I would suggest doing exercises where you do scales and runs as lightly as possible. Find the spot where the note goes from rattle to clean and focus on what that feels like - it is all you need. If you are tense, you are probably playing something that you are not quite ready to play at that speed. Slow it down and build it up with the light touch in mind. The thumb will move to accommodate where you are on the neck. It is okay if it moves around, but not when it starts to act as a vice.

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would suggest doing exercises where you do scales and runs as lightly as possible. Find the spot where the note goes from rattle to clean and focus on what that feels like - it is all you need. If you are tense, you are probably playing something that you are not quite ready to play at that speed. Slow it down and build it up with the light touch in mind. The thumb will move to accommodate where you are on the neck. It is okay if it moves around, but not when it starts to act as a vice.
Thank you!! I never thought about gripping it too hard. I will definetly give this a try as soon as the pain goes away.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Thank you!! I never thought about gripping it too hard. I will definetly give this a try as soon as the pain goes away.
He's pretty much correct. Not that this is practical or that I would ever recommend it but technically you dont even need a thumb to play guitar. It's just kind of a guide for me that goes there naturally.

Latest posts

')