Fretwire - Help!!

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
So, I need fretwire for a 6 string 28.625 scale neck and I have two questions:

1- What fretwire is used on Ibanez guitars (6100? 6000?)

2- How much fretwire do you usually need to fret/refret a guitar? Stewmac sells 2ft sticks and LMI sells 4ft sticks... Also, are these lenghts the total fretwire length or just the length of which the sticks are cut to?

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
pretty sure the stewmac wire i buy in the tube is 2 foot lengths, it takes about 3 lengths to do a neck if i remember correctly...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I need fretwire for a 6 string 28.625 scale neck and I have two questions:

1- What fretwire is used on Ibanez guitars (6100? 6000?)

2- How much fretwire do you usually need to fret/refret a guitar? Stewmac sells 2ft sticks and LMI sells 4ft sticks... Also, are these lenghts the total fretwire length or just the length of which the sticks are cut to?

Thanks.

Ibanez doesn't quite have a standardized fret wire size. It depends on the model, and what factory the guitar is built at.

For the record, JEMs use 6105's.

Neil

Reaction score
Stew Macs 2ft and LMIIs 4ft is the total length you get, so you need to order more than one set, 3 sets of the Stew Mac (6 ft) or 2 sets of the LMII (8ft).

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
I believe Ibanez bounces between 6100 and 6105 fretwire depending on the model

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Ibanez doesn't quite have a standardized fret wire size. It depends on the model, and what factory the guitar is built at.

For the record, JEMs use 6105's.

the older Jems (I have a '92 BFP model) have much smaller fretwire than the new ones so it's indeed a bit confusing.
My UV7BK (which is also pretty old, certainly pre 2000) has massive frets.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the older Jems (I have a '92 BFP model) have much smaller fretwire than the new ones so it's indeed a bit confusing.
My UV7BK (which is also pretty old, certainly pre 2000) has massive frets.

Yeah, the frets on my UV7BK are bigger than a lot of my other RGs and UVs, it seems that they were experimenting with different sizes constantly. That or a couple factory workers weren't in the loop. :lol:

I'd say go with 6100, as they're kinda the middle ground of Ibanez fretwire. If you want something a tad on the larger size 6105s are were it's at. Honestly though, you really can't go wrong with the bigger wire. Especially considering dressing and crowning will take a little height off them anyways.

')