From blackouts to JB/59 question

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm really hankering for the JB/59 combo into the Carvin.

what I'd like to know is, would I have to change the output jack on the guitar as well? apparently the blackouts came with a stereo input jack, wondering if i'd have to get a new input jack as well or something of the sort..

kinda OT: what's a good price for a set of (barely) used blackouts P1?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purist

Contributor
Reaction score
You would just have to change the pots. the stereo jack would work fine with the passives. May i ask, why the change? Not happy with the blackouts?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
not really, no.

we'll see what i think after they've been put back in the proper positions, but the times i've played the guitar plugged in, its not really my thing.

and thanks for the typo shoutout, max :lol:

invertedtremolo

Reaction score
Hey,

Don't quote me on this one, but you might be headed for trouble if your guitar doesn't have a bridge ground. A bridge ground is a wire that generally runs from either your trem claw (if you have one) or one of your tuneomatic studs. I've never seen a guitar with blackouts, but I know EMG equipped guitars from factory don't have one, seeing as they're internally shielded. Passives, from personal experience, do better with one since it channels off some of the excess noise. I worked on a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser that came stock with EMGs, wired passives in and it buzzed like mad! The bridge ground sure quieted that one down.

Duncan's wiring diagrams show it on some configs, but not others. I'd say just pop open your guitar and check. It'll be the wire coming from nowhere...

Feel free to tell me I'm stupid if I'm wrong.

Just a friendly heads up!

Thanks.
Craig.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Carvins only ship with their own horrible pickups, so the bridge ground should be there. Unless, of course, someone removed it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
would i be able to get one put back in at the shop then?

many thanks for the heads up :)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Typically, aftermarket moves to active pickups generally involve unsoldering the bridge ground wire inside of the control cavity, since it is easier to go back that way. Look in your control cavity for a loose wire.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
sometimes im glad i dont have a cover on the electronics cavity :lol: