From prestige to low end? anyone?

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I know that pickups don't matter in a guitar. I'm saying that an average RG7321 is a great guitar, but it can stand up to more expensive guitars with better pickups. I got a bad RG7321, but the other 7321s I've played were great, and stayed in tune fine.

pickups DO matter! but your right hand (or left) matters more. so much more

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jason2112

I'm old school
Reaction score
My primary guitars are 6-string Prestige models, and when I decided to get a 7 I felt I HAD to get a Prestige.... just because. Well I got a 7620 and honestly it's my 2nd favorite guitar to play now. It's not a Prestige but it hits on everything that I was looking for - comfortable neck, low action, solid trem, and awesome tone. So don't get so hung up on a Prestige if you find something cheaper that meets your needs.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I know that pickups don't matter in a guitar...but it can stand up to more expensive guitars with better pickups.

tumblr_lhjqp5ivNG1qc6bd7.jpg

Universe74

Reaction score
I had a Universe and sold it to get an 8 string. Picked up a 7321 to replace it..changed pickups and I'm super happy with it.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
You can find a used 1527 for slightly more than a new 7321 if you keep your eyes peeled. I bought a 1527CB on ebay for $400.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I really really really regret selling my 1527. I sold it 3 months ago. I really love the feel of the guitar and that prestige basswood weight its very different its heavier than an mij non prestige and also the quality. but what matters most was the action of the guitar and hardware.
now Iv been gassing for it again but im out of budget. I was thinking of grabbing a 7321 just to heal my gas for another 7 but am afraid if ill be disappointed.
anyone here who has played a higher end ibby and a 7321?
quality does not really matter. what matters most is the feel, action & fit of the guitar and the neck too!
please share :)

btw, no 7321 near me that I can try. im in a remote island :lol:

I sold my 1527 and 2570 after coming to the final conclusion that double-locking trems and I just don't get along (even after learning to do a proper setup).

I replaced the 2570 with a PRS SE Custom 24 and the 1527 with a Cort Viva 7 and I could literally not be happier. Both instruments just fit me better and have vintage style trems which I just prefer.

Personally, I've found the Prestiges to be very nice, but I've found equal playability much cheaper. I had enough leftover from my sales to purchase my Blackstar amps (HT20 and HT1).

Bones43x

Reaction score
I've found that any time I settle for something, I'm not happy in the end. You may be satisfied for a short while, but you'll eventually become discontent. Get what you really want the first time, and you'll save money in the long run.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
A Nicely set up Prestige is going to shit on a another prestige with an average set up job. What do you think it'll do to an Indonesian (Excl. Premium Series) RG7321?

Save for what you want and don't settle for less.

Reaction score
Before I switched to Schecter I had a 1527 as my main guitar and a RG7321 as a backup. Honestly the 7321 was just as much fun to play and a lot more stable tuning wise. Not that the 1527 was bad, but after tightening the tuners and such up on the 7321 it wasn't possible to knock it out of tune. It was my go-to guitar for any different tunings and the guitar I found myself writing on. If I had to go buy another Ibby right now I'd totally go for the 7321. Hell you could buy 2 for the price of one 1527. lol

In my country you can get FOUR RG7321 and THREE RGD7320!!!!!!! ... by the way!!! how about the RGD7321 or the RGD7320, do they rape the RG7321???:ugh: and what about the EDGE ZERO trem on 7 syrings??

Reaction score
Just recently I started researched the wood used for the different types of import guitars, (China, Korea, Japan) and I hate to say it, for the sake of my wallet, but the wood is softer on the lower end models.

First post btw, whats up. :)

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
Meh. Currently i'm using 3 guitars (and trying to get rid of the rest).

Main players: xpt707 and rg7321 (i shit you not!)
Otherwise: RG2228 and RG2127 (Vova's)

Configuration: Xiphos standard with D-Activators and the RG with an Air-Norton and a D-Sonic. Funny thing: I use the RG for most of the riffs (technical death metal) and the xiphos for the leads when recording. :lol:

I've had an RG1527 and 2 sixers prestige models and i can play my roommates custom Les Paul anytime. I tried a lot of high-end guitars, seen a lot of custom models but i still prefer my good old RG7321 and my Xiphos. I guess that i just like how they feel and sound.

From my point ov view there is no problem in switching from High-class to low-end gear as long as you're happy with the feel and how it sounds. And no, i wouldn't have told you this 2 years ago. Back then i'd say something like "better gear -> better tone. Period" :wallbash:

Reaction score
Probably has to do with what you're use to and what kind of music you play

I used to play crap guitars and upgraded to an RG570 and never wanted back, then bought a K7 and Universe and never touched the RG570 again.
Bought an RGA7 for practice purposes ( to take to rehearsal so I wouldn't ding the nice guitars) and used it for a few months but eventually went back to bringing my UV to practice.

I absolutely love the RGA7 but it cannot even stand in the UV/K7's shadow playability wise. Once your used the the high end feel you always feel there is something missing when playing cheap guitars. (at least I do)

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
while there may be a difference in the high-end vs. low-end stuff, I find I will go with whatever feels and plays right in my hands. Getting a better tone is easy with pickups and some hardware changes, both of which are easy to do.

I sold my UV7BK for an LTD M107 and had EMG 707's put in it and it has been the best guitar I've ever owned by far. There was nothing wrong with the Universe (besides the Blaze's going microphonic and the trem wouldn't stay in tune if you dive bombed with it...), but the ESP felt way better in my hands and played the best between the two. Then once the EMG's went in it, that was what sealed the deal for me. Crazy, maybe. But it's all personal preference. I'd say try and find a 7321 or 7421 to play before you buy it because I find the neck profiles are never the same from one guitar to the next. Then again, the 7621 would be better as it's got the best neck and good pickups from the rip so it'd need nothing...

Reaction score
I have an RG1527 and I have the chance to play a 7321 in a music store and they are a whole different worlds, the neck is not as confortable as in the 1527, and the finishing looks really cheap.
maybe was just that guitar (indonesian made), but i have the chance to tryout some indonesian ESP and were way better than the indonisian ibanez.
I would´t buy the 7321 made in indonesia.
Probably the older ones made in Korea are better.

it´s all i can say about that

dwilk

Reaction score
The more effort you put in, the more appealing results you'll get. I saved my life away to get my dream gear, and with good maintenance, I'll never have to upgrade again. A lot of musicians I've worked with have been fond of "placeholder" gear to get them by until they can upgrade to the really good sounding stuff.

That just always seemed like a waste of money to me.

')