From prestige to low end? anyone?

bklixuz

Reaction score
I really really really regret selling my 1527. I sold it 3 months ago. I really love the feel of the guitar and that prestige basswood weight its very different its heavier than an mij non prestige and also the quality. but what matters most was the action of the guitar and hardware.
now Iv been gassing for it again but im out of budget. I was thinking of grabbing a 7321 just to heal my gas for another 7 but am afraid if ill be disappointed.
anyone here who has played a higher end ibby and a 7321?
quality does not really matter. what matters most is the feel, action & fit of the guitar and the neck too!
please share :)

btw, no 7321 near me that I can try. im in a remote island :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't make intermittent purchases attempting to appease gas for something very specific. It doesn't work AND you will still be dreaming about that other piece which will now take even longer to acquire. Just hang tight, save up, and get what you really want. I spent about a year without a guitar amp as I wanted a Mark V and gave my practice amp to a friend to learn on (I ran a modeller through my basses power amp, it worked but was hardly ideal). In the end I couldn't be happier with the outcome, sure I had to wait but such is life.

mountainjam

Reaction score
i play a 1527, and my band mate plays a 7321. its honestly not that bad.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Ive both a 1527 and a 7321. Ive had the 1527 longer but since getting my 7321 about 3 months ago its never out of my hands. I was shocked at how good the quality was. I actually prefer the 7321 neck to the prestige one.

brutus627

Givah some!
Reaction score
i personally think the 7321 is horrible...that is strictly my opinion though. i know a lot of people love them and for the price who can blame them? i have owned two 1527's, two 7420's, and 2 7620's. i would put the 2 7xxx's right between the 7321 and the 1527. like the guy said buy what you want and you'll be way happier in the end. if you can play a 7321 make your own determination i think that the ones i play sounded dead and fought me while playing them.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
7620/7621 or a 7420/7421 off ebay or craigslist. after having a 1527 i dont think you will be happy with a 7321 ;)

what remote island of michigan you on Mackinack?

Ice4600

Reaction score
I've noticed a huge difference in quality between the RG 7321 (which I don't have any issue with) and the IMO supperior RGD 7321 which I bought instantly. The RG plays really well, but the RGD blows it out of the water. If I was in your situation though, I'd hold out for the 1527. I spent 18 months looking for my Roadking.

MatthewK

Reaction score
Don't do it man, Prestige and non-Prestige are completely different worlds. I love Ibanez, but IMO their lower end stuff is pretty bad.

bklixuz

Reaction score
alright im gonna take your advices and wait. I hope this 7 string gas wont kill me first before ill buy another 1527. :lol:
im pretty sensitive to how thin the neck is especially when its an "ibanez" that what I want in it is the thin neck. its like a bang for the buck! the 2 ibby's I had before were 1527 (ultra prestige neck) and one with a wizard 2 neck (6 string) and I ended up playing the 1527 a lot coz of how slim the neck was.
I have just read that the 7321 has wizard II-7 necks which is a NO to me :(

@jymellis Im actually in asia.

edsped

Reaction score
I went from a Carvin to an S7420, which I decided to get after trying out a lowly S420 and really liking it.

I'm sure there are bad apples as there are in every bunch, but it seems like low end Ibanez stuff gets more shit than it deserves.

And also the Wizard II-7 feels quite thin.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Get a used 7420, or 7620. To be completely honest, I think i like the look and feel of my rg7420 than i did of the rg1527 i used to have.

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
My RG7321 feels like crap compared to my friend's RG7321, but it's good anyways, so it depends on your luck as to whether you get a bad apple or not. Throw in some decent pickups into it and it's as good as any guitar up to the $800 mark.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
+1 to getting a 742X or 762X if you can't hold out for another 1527. I've hated every RG7321 I've played, especially the ones with the newer, cheaper bridges, but I still love the necks on my 7421s.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I have a prestige 2027x, and a 7321 made before they swapped to the new bridge. I actually prefer how my 7321 feels. The neck is nicer, the basswood body means that it is a bit lighter and has a smoother tone while retaining clarity, and overall it's very good quality for such a low end guitar. I modded mine up so now it can hold up against most prestige guitars. They're good for modding like that.

That said you could always get a bad model like some people have, the quality control of non-prestige guitars isn't going to be as good.

Ckackley

Reaction score
Before I switched to Schecter I had a 1527 as my main guitar and a RG7321 as a backup. Honestly the 7321 was just as much fun to play and a lot more stable tuning wise. Not that the 1527 was bad, but after tightening the tuners and such up on the 7321 it wasn't possible to knock it out of tune. It was my go-to guitar for any different tunings and the guitar I found myself writing on. If I had to go buy another Ibby right now I'd totally go for the 7321. Hell you could buy 2 for the price of one 1527. lol

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
another +1 for RG7620 > RG1527.... the combination of the lo-pro edge 7 bridge and the old bubinga striped wizard 7s make it a total win over the 1527 IMO

Reaction score
My RG7321 feels like crap compared to my friend's RG7321, but it's good anyways, so it depends on your luck as to whether you get a bad apple or not. Throw in some decent pickups into it and it's as good as any guitar up to the $800 mark.
pickups dont make a guitar any better or worse. if you add your favorite pickups to a guitar that feels like shit to you and will never stay in tune, its still ganna be a piece of shit that will never stay in tune.

and OP, im an rg1527 owner and i say either wait it out and get another, or get a 7620. same quality with a slightly better trem. although, my edge pro 7 has locking studs so mines on par with an original edge. but just stock, the lo-pro is a bit better

hell, theyre even the same price as a 7321. its just ganna be a bit beat up but then you can make us all a nice NGD/Refin. thread :D

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
pickups dont make a guitar any better or worse. if you add your favorite pickups to a guitar that feels like shit to you and will never stay in tune, its still ganna be a piece of shit that will never stay in tune.

and OP, im an rg1527 owner and i say either wait it out and get another, or get a 7620. same quality with a slightly better trem. although, my edge pro 7 has locking studs so mines on par with an original edge. but just stock, the lo-pro is a bit better

hell, theyre even the same price as a 7321. its just ganna be a bit beat up but then you can make us all a nice NGD/Refin. thread :D
I know that pickups don't matter in a guitar. I'm saying that an average RG7321 is a great guitar, but it can stand up to more expensive guitars with better pickups. I got a bad RG7321, but the other 7321s I've played were great, and stayed in tune fine.

Reaction score
I know that pickups don't matter in a guitar. I'm saying that an average RG7321 is a great guitar, but it can stand up to more expensive guitars with better pickups. I got a bad RG7321, but the other 7321s I've played were great, and stayed in tune fine.
now THAT statement i agree with. however, of the probably 4 or 5 rg7321's ive played. none would stay in tune. maybe it was just crap guitar center setups on them but they just refused

')