Fryette sig x issue.

• Thread starter Gyver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gyver

Reaction score
Hey guys, dont know if this is the right section for this, mods can move this if not.

I wanna thank you guys in advanced for any advice and feedback you guys can give me on the issue. So last night I was at rehearsal testing out a new guitar, and using my main Amp (fryette sig x) Which ive used reliably for about 4 gigs. Then all of a sudden, my tone changed drastically, followed by a high pitch scream/squeal, I immediately unplugged the guitar and pretty lunged and jumped to turn off the amp before something worse would happen. I go at the back of the amp, theres a burnt smell. I popped the cover off, and turned on the amp to see if the the tubes would light up. Well one of the KT88s is dim compared to the other one, by dim I mean almost off, and now no sound comes out of it whatsoever.

My question is, is this just a standard power tube failure? or would you guys think the bad power tube was caused by something else? All my other amps are 6l6 based unfortunately, and would need to buy another set of KT88s to even troubleshoot. Im really hoping its just a power tube gone bad. Also are these things prone to overheating? the amp lives in a amp/rack touring case.

Again thanks for the feedback in advanced.

Jes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a tube, or potentially the socket itself failed. I doubt it's a more serious issue, as the fuse did not blow.

If there is one thing I can tell you that you WILL need at some point, it's a set of replacement tubes, so buying a set is not going to be a loss.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
How much room does the top of the amp have in the case? I've seen a lot of people damage their heads by having less than an inch of room on top of the amp. Letting heat build up inside the amp due to poor ventilation can definitely lead to power tube failure. That might not be the cause here, but it's certainly something to think about.

Gyver

Reaction score
there's definitely less than an inch of space. but the back of the amp cover is vented and always open.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Heat is always going to travel upwards first. It might eventually push to the front or back of the case to vent, but you're still adding to the time that heat builds up in the head before exiting.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If heat buildup is an issue, get a few rack fans to mount on the rear rails. If they could keep my two SVTs nice and cool (well, relatively speaking :lol:) than a single 100 watt guitar head should be fine.

')