FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
hey nick how would a painkiller sound in swamp ash? I've heard it can be quite ice-picky in brighter woods. I'm kind of torn between that and a black dog.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
hey nick how would a painkiller sound in swamp ash? I've heard it can be quite ice-picky in brighter woods. I'm kind of torn between that and a black dog.

In Swamp Ash I would prefer a pickup thats not as bright, such as the Black Hawk, Warpig, Holydiver, etc. Black Dog would work well too if youre after a low output model. Painkiller sounds best in mahogany.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
In Swamp Ash I would prefer a pickup thats not as bright, such as the Black Hawk, Warpig, Holydiver, etc. Black Dog would work well too if youre after a low output model. Painkiller sounds best in mahogany.

alright, thanks. might try the black dog.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

takotakumi

Reaction score
Hey Nick, what would you recomend for an Ash Body Ibanez RG? C-Bomb or C-pig?

It currently has PAF7s which I find lacking some tighter bottom end, saturation, some body, and aggressiveness. I tend to use the bridge for both leads and rhythm.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Nick, what would you recomend for an Ash Body Ibanez RG? C-Bomb or C-pig?

It currently has PAF7s which I find lacking some tighter bottom end, saturation, some body, and aggressiveness. I tend to use the bridge for both leads and rhythm.

I would suggest the C-Pig or Black hawk in there. If interested hit up our website :)

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Hey Nick,
It's been awhile since I've posted here as I took a big shift over the last couple years from pickups/amps for source tones to learning how to work with whatever source tone I've got to achieve mix goals. I.E. polishing turds
Anyways, I have a PRS Custom 24 SE with an Aftermath bridge and Coldsweat neck. I play a clusterfvck of garage rock/math core/ prog. The best example of my style is my band's track, 10 seconds should be plenty to hear what I'm going for.
https://soundcloud.com/the-matt-squatch/functional-human-1

Basically where I'm at is I love the Aftermath bridge. It's focused and mid heavy which is what I'm going for but it also has a decent enough treble extension to do crunch tones and I'm in love with the split sound of it distorted. The tones I idolize are those on Converge's You Fail Me, most Botch releases and Mastodon.
I should mention I play in Drop C with D'Addario Jazz-light strings with the wound 4th. My rig is a Pod HD 500 with a distortion pedal sim into blended Plexi sims that are cranked. I pick heavily and know how to coax dynamics out of a pickup that can produce them.
What I have currently is a dilemma though with the Coldsweat neck pickup. I love the sound of the pickup, it's got such a wonderfully sweet clean tone and lead tone, but it's not what I'm looking for in this guitar for this style. To me the Coldsweat output is fine, I prefer a neck pickup with slightly less output than bridge for clarity. The frequency focus is my main gripe. The mids are too scooped and the presence is, well too present. My ideal neck tone is similar to my Aftermath bridge but with a rolled off presence and treble. So forward midrange, rolled off low end and less presence. I'm not against looking into the vintage hot line as well if you think something there would fit.
Versatility as a set is important to me, which the set I have now achieves well, but the tonal difference between them makes me create different patches for each position.

Sorry for the drawn out rambling, I appreciate any advice.
Also by the way, do you remember a few years ago a kid calling you to interview you about small businesses for a school project? That was me. I got a great grade. :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Nick,
It's been awhile since I've posted here as I took a big shift over the last couple years from pickups/amps for source tones to learning how to work with whatever source tone I've got to achieve mix goals. I.E. polishing turds
Anyways, I have a PRS Custom 24 SE with an Aftermath bridge and Coldsweat neck. I play a clusterfvck of garage rock/math core/ prog. The best example of my style is my band's track, 10 seconds should be plenty to hear what I'm going for.
https://soundcloud.com/the-matt-squatch/functional-human-1

Basically where I'm at is I love the Aftermath bridge. It's focused and mid heavy which is what I'm going for but it also has a decent enough treble extension to do crunch tones and I'm in love with the split sound of it distorted. The tones I idolize are those on Converge's You Fail Me, most Botch releases and Mastodon.
I should mention I play in Drop C with D'Addario Jazz-light strings with the wound 4th. My rig is a Pod HD 500 with a distortion pedal sim into blended Plexi sims that are cranked. I pick heavily and know how to coax dynamics out of a pickup that can produce them.
What I have currently is a dilemma though with the Coldsweat neck pickup. I love the sound of the pickup, it's got such a wonderfully sweet clean tone and lead tone, but it's not what I'm looking for in this guitar for this style. To me the Coldsweat output is fine, I prefer a neck pickup with slightly less output than bridge for clarity. The frequency focus is my main gripe. The mids are too scooped and the presence is, well too present. My ideal neck tone is similar to my Aftermath bridge but with a rolled off presence and treble. So forward midrange, rolled off low end and less presence. I'm not against looking into the vintage hot line as well if you think something there would fit.
Versatility as a set is important to me, which the set I have now achieves well, but the tonal difference between them makes me create different patches for each position.

Sorry for the drawn out rambling, I appreciate any advice.
Also by the way, do you remember a few years ago a kid calling you to interview you about small businesses for a school project? That was me. I got a great grade. :lol:

The Nailbomb neck would fit what you're looking for :) And hey I'm glad I could have helped with your school project! Hit me up if you need anything else or want to order the pickup.

ras1988

Reaction score
Hey Nick,

Recently picked up a used vigier supra 7, alder body, maple neck and fretboard. It has a dimarzio air norton neck and tone zone bridge. I wanted to change out the bridge as it's too bass heavy and was wondering if you had a recommendation that would work in humbucking and split modes well. I tune to B standard/drop A and play through Diezel or Carol-Ann amps in more of a prog-rock/metal than modern metal style. The instrument is surprisingly dark for the wood combo and I thought I could get away with a ceramic nailbomb, or a black dog. Thanks for the help!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Nick,

Recently picked up a used vigier supra 7, alder body, maple neck and fretboard. It has a dimarzio air norton neck and tone zone bridge. I wanted to change out the bridge as it's too bass heavy and was wondering if you had a recommendation that would work in humbucking and split modes well. I tune to B standard/drop A and play through Diezel or Carol-Ann amps in more of a prog-rock/metal than modern metal style. The instrument is surprisingly dark for the wood combo and I thought I could get away with a ceramic nailbomb, or a black dog. Thanks for the help!

I would suggest the Holydiver. Its a great match for that guitar and for you style of music. The Black Dog would also work. I cant suggest a ceramic Nailbomb in an alder/maple guitar, no matter how dark it may seem now (I bet a lot of that is the work of the TZ/AN).

t o k u g a w a

Reaction score
Nick,

Just curious about the options for a single coil set for a Fender American Standard Strat. Alder body and Maple neck/board.

I typically play lots of atmospheric, ambient, reverb, and delay filled passages. I also use a lot of intricate tap lines with many open notes that rig out to give character and dissonance. I need these tap lines to punch and have clarity. I get a sense of this with the stock fender pickups, but I am wondering what BKP has to accentuate these complex tap lines.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ryan

areyna21

Reaction score
Hey nick I'm getting a jp16 7 string just looking for something geared more toward versatility. I play mostly technical metal and djebt style stuff but also clean touch style stuff and use a lot of effects. What would you recommend and do bare knuckle pickups come in orange?

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
I have a PRS Custom 24 with s mahogony body, Maple top and rock Maple neck. I want palm mutes to hit your chest so hard it knocks you over.

I was looking at c-pigs but folks tell me they don't gel well in mahogony bodied guitars. Any ideas?

syxx

Reaction score
So, I currently have a PRS Custom 24 Floyd with mahogany body, maple top, maple neck, ebony fretboard. Very bright guitar. I have a Holy Diver in the bridge now and I really like it. But, If I could get something that is just a bit darker and has a bit more output it would be perfect. I'm playing mostly prog music, but not djent. Not low tunings, mostly Eb standard, very-occasionally dropped to C#.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Hey Nick,

I have a new guitar on the way but I think I'm going to swap out the Juggernaut in the bridge since I didn't really gel with it in the past (friend's guitars), but I like it in the neck. I'll test it out and see but I wanted to get your opinion.

It's a Ran Crusher FT6 with a swamp ash body, maple burl top. Bolt on neck with Maple burl fret board and a 5 piece, mahogany/maple/ovangkol neck.

It's going to be tuned to Drop C/ D standard most of the time. I play mostly old school death metal ala Atheist, Pestilence and Gorguts. My favorite pickup I've tried so far is the Warpig 7 Alnico which I have in my swap ash body Skervesen.

You have any suggestions? I was thinking Warpig Ceramic, Ragnarok, or Lundgren "The One".

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Greetings Nick! I'm having a "and now for something completely different" moment with an early 1990s JEM 77FP. I've been running a C-Bomb(bridge)/Painkiller(Neck) for years and love it. Closest to a "Alien Love Secrets" Via tone, which is perfect to me. But now I want to flip it up, and look for recommendations. Sets that have crossed my mind are Holy Divers, Juggernauts, and Ragnaroks (I see you have a green set available...!). Any of those tones will do based on what I've heard (and have an HD 7 bridge, and it's fun!). So the QUESTION is really do any of those three sets NOT work at all, i.e. will sound disgusting in a basswood body/maple neck guitar with a Floyd? I would also potentially keep the PK in the neck because I love the scorching hot leads.

NOTE: Green or pink or a combo of each is a must, because that obviously contributes to the tone immensely. Thanks dude and I hope you have a productively busy holiday season!

BTS

BTS
Reaction score

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Zimbloth, Would love to hear your thoughts on this pickup and what types of woods it might work in and what aside from the paired neck it might work with.

The Ragnarock I believe would work best in brighter guitars, i.e. alder/maple neck-thru guitars or maple neck bolt-ons. Thats not to say they wouldn't sound great in warmer ones too, but its output and tonality lends itself best that way.

Reactions: BTS

movingpictures

Reaction score
Hi Nick,
Im seeking a recommendation for my #1. 1989 PRS CE24 with Alder/Maple body-Maple/Maple neck. I bought it new in 90! and have been through a few sets in the past 5 years. Most recently a Dim Transition set.
The guitar is bright. After much consideration- i think the best fit would be a Holy Diver set. I play in a prog trio, and have to cover both rhythm and lead equally well. I like the idea of a A5 in bridge.

-Any other recommendations?
-Time it takes to get a custom set? i want a grey/black zebra
-Im using a dimarzio ep1111 (Petrucci) 3 way with coil split middle. Can you order a magnet flip for use with it?

Thanks in advance for any insight and reply!
Dave

Last edited: