FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
No, I haven't asked them yet.

I'm totally happy with the sound of my Schecter 8s (all three of them, but they're essentially the same guitar). But this one, I think the bridge pickup is too close to the neck, which is making it sound too round and with too many overtones.

I wonder if I should just have the builder make a new body and shift the pickup back 5mm or so. Not sure if that's the difference maker here or not. But it's definitely about 5mm closer to the 12th fret.
With 8 strings bridge pickup position and slant definitely makes a noticeable difference imo. My flubbiest sounding 8 strings have the pickups set further away from the bridge by a good 10mm on the bass side. The tighter sounding ones have the bridge pickup route around 20mm away at most.

But if the guitar is currently too round/not high enough output, then the painkiller should correct that. Aftermath also has a very lean low end and decent output, so that would also probably mitigate the current sound. Have you tried a 10 band eq to sculpt the guitar's frequencies before it hits the other parts of the rig? That's a pretty easy/cheap solution to avoid going down the pickup rabbit hole (unless you really want to).

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
With 8 strings bridge pickup position and slant definitely makes a noticeable difference imo. My flubbiest sounding 8 strings have the pickups set further away from the bridge by a good 10mm on the bass side. The tighter sounding ones have the bridge pickup route around 20mm away at most.

But if the guitar is currently too round/not high enough output, then the painkiller should correct that. Aftermath also has a very lean low end and decent output, so that would also probably mitigate the current sound. Have you tried a 10 band eq to sculpt the guitar's frequencies before it hits the other parts of the rig? That's a pretty easy/cheap solution to avoid going down the pickup rabbit hole (unless you really want to).

Yeah, I use an Axe FX these days and running a high-pass filter out front of the amp block helps a ton. Maybe I should just be happy with that.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
No, I haven't asked them yet.

I'm totally happy with the sound of my Schecter 8s (all three of them, but they're essentially the same guitar). But this one, I think the bridge pickup is too close to the neck, which is making it sound too round and with too many overtones.

I wonder if I should just have the builder make a new body and shift the pickup back 5mm or so. Not sure if that's the difference maker here or not. But it's definitely about 5mm closer to the 12th fret.

I would suggest the BKP Nailbomb with the ceramic magnet.

smith10210

Reaction score
What Humbucker would you suggest for a 6 string Mahogany style les paul knock off?.. Modern lower tunings.. Thanks!!!

Latest posts

')