FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
This thread seems to be the go to thread for BK questions.

What would be your recommendation for pickups in a Schecter Loomis? I think Im going for punchy and tight. I play stuff like After the Burial, Winds of Plague, I dont really know how to describe it..

Thats awesome about the covers too, ill probably be waiting for those.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This thread seems to be the go to thread for BK questions.

What would be your recommendation for pickups in a Schecter Loomis? I think Im going for punchy and tight. I play stuff like After the Burial, Winds of Plague, I dont really know how to describe it..

Thats awesome about the covers too, ill probably be waiting for those.

Sure I'm happy to help. In the Loomis I'd go with the ceramic Warpig or Miracle Man. Depends if you want a more mid-heavy, thick sound or a more bright/scooped vibe.

The covers won't be available until the summer probably. They can put covers on retroactively, so if you want something sooner you don't have to hold out :)

Våd Hamster

Reaction score
I'd like a recommendation too, as if you didn't have enough requests already :p

I have a 8string Septor 27'', ash body maple+rosewood neck. I like the standard pups on it but they just sound 'muffled' for some reason. Lack of dynamics, harmonics and such.

I've always like Petrucci's 7 string tone, but I don't know how that'd translate to 8 strings. But something along those lines. I'm also planning to coilsplit the pickups, don't know if that makes a difference. To sum it up, I need clarity and versatility the most. Help? :)

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Ah cool. Thanks a lot.

Would a combo of the two sound ok, say a Ceramic Pig in the bridge and a Miracle in the neck? Or would it just be better for a matched set of Warpigs. Im not sure if I want a set either, I dont usually use my neck pickup except for the occasional clean when recording and Im pretty used to my melody maker which doesn't even have one.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Våd Hamster;1853534 said:
I'd like a recommendation too, as if you didn't have enough requests already :p

I have a 8string Septor 27'', ash body maple+rosewood neck. I like the standard pups on it but they just sound 'muffled' for some reason. Lack of dynamics, harmonics and such.

I've always like Petrucci's 7 string tone, but I don't know how that'd translate to 8 strings. But something along those lines. I'm also planning to coilsplit the pickups, don't know if that makes a difference. To sum it up, I need clarity and versatility the most. Help? :)

Of course man, I always have time for questions/advice. It's what I do :)

Anyways I highly recommend the Cold Sweat 8s in that Agile. I think it's just what the doctor ordered. Let me know if you're interested!

Ah cool. Thanks a lot.

Would a combo of the two sound ok, say a Ceramic Pig in the bridge and a Miracle in the neck? Or would it just be better for a matched set of Warpigs. Im not sure if I want a set either, I dont usually use my neck pickup except for the occasional clean when recording and Im pretty used to my melody maker which doesn't even have one.

I would go with the calibrated set, assuming you even want a neck pickup. The Warpig neck is amazing :)

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Cool, would you mind sending me a quote for both the matched set and also just the single bridge?

About how long would it take to get after I order one, and how would I even order it?

Hopefully if I have a deal go through this weekend ill be able to make it happen.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool, would you mind sending me a quote for both the matched set and also just the single bridge?

About how long would it take to get after I order one, and how would I even order it?

Hopefully if I have a deal go through this weekend ill be able to make it happen.

The Warpig 7 bridge is $139.99 or the full set is $269.99. Current turn-around times are about 2 weeks.

You can order it a number of ways: PayPal, credit cards, or money orders. Most customers prefer to just call me up and put it on a credit card or use PayPal :)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've got some extra 8-string pickups here, as well as a Nailbomb 7 set and some distressed Warpigs 6s.

freepower

Reaction score
Hey there, and sorry if this has been covered - currently lots of people are interested in the Roter fanned fret group buy, and with good reason. Me and a few others were thinking of asking for slanted BKs but they don't do them.

So my next question is, how big a deal would it be to have a straight bridge PU in a multiscale instrument?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey there, and sorry if this has been covered - currently lots of people are interested in the Roter fanned fret group buy, and with good reason. Me and a few others were thinking of asking for slanted BKs but they don't do them.

So my next question is, how big a deal would it be to have a straight bridge PU in a multiscale instrument?

I really don't know about the multi-scale thing w/ standard BKPs. I know it can work, but would it be ideal? Not sure.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I am sure this RG related info is already buried in this thread somewhere, but I am not good enough at search to find it. So with apologies, here goes:

I am waiting to for my first seven to arrive via ebay: an MIJ RG 7621. Single piece maple neck bolted onto basswood. Fixed bridge and stock passive pups. Rosewood board of course. What are the best BKP choices for thick heavy (but still articulate) tones in this guitar? Should I be looking at Dimarzios to save some cost?

Somebody talk me into a pair of c-pigs! (are they right for basswood?) I think purple or zebra purple and cream bobbins would look sick against the black body.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I am sure this RG related info is already buried in this thread somewhere, but I am not good enough at search to find it. So with apologies, here goes:

I am waiting to for my first seven to arrive via ebay: an MIJ RG 7621. Single piece maple neck bolted onto basswood. Fixed bridge and stock passive pups. Rosewood board of course. What are the best BKP choices for thick heavy (but still articulate) tones in this guitar? Should I be looking at Dimarzios to save some cost?

Somebody talk me into a pair of c-pigs! (are they right for basswood?) I think purple or zebra purple and cream bobbins would look sick against the black body.

Warpigs are not ideal for basswood but they still sound awesome as long as you don't mind a somewhat dark tone (it will still have plent yof attack though). I'd personally recommend the Miracle Man if not the WP.

For DiMarzios, I like the Crunch Lab 7 a lot. I have one of those in stock if you don't want to pony up for a BKP :)

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
Warpigs are not ideal for basswood but they still sound awesome as long as you don't mind a somewhat dark tone (it will still have plent yof attack though). I'd personally recommend the Miracle Man if not the WP.

For DiMarzios, I like the Crunch Lab 7 a lot. I have one of those in stock if you don't want to pony up for a BKP :)

Well, I don't want overly dark. Too bad cause I kinda liked the idea of the pigs. One of the reasons I'd like to go BKP is color options, cause I want to offset the typical black body. Then there's the quality (duh!) and the fact the I love the painkillers in my LP. How would a nailbomb/coldsweat combination be? I want to consider the options that work with the maple neck/basswood body.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
MiracleMan in the bridgeof a 7XXX sounds great.
I had one in the bridge of my last 7620 and it sounded great.
it smokes the Evo I have in my current 7620.
Super tight , chunky and nasty sounding.
I may get another one and put it in my current 7620 as well.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
kmanick, do you have anything recorded thats just the guitar (no drums or anything)? Im trying to get a good feel for the MM and the WP so I can decide before my return check gets here. The demo tracks have too much going on for me to really hear them.

Latest posts

')