FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really dig the Friedman and Howe tones, very cool. I'd recommend the Holydiver or Rebel Yell, or perhaps the Miracle Man. The MM is more along the lines of a Nevermore type sound, but it has a fluidity to the tone that I think you'd like and that I think would help smooth out the highs of an maple/ash/maple guitar. However the MM is very tight and hot, with smooth mids so if you want something more organic and with gutsier mids I think the HD or RY would be great choices.

Personally of the two alnicos, I'd go with the Rebel Yell since it's a bit tighter. If you're primarily a lead player, I'd probably pass on the MM but if you want to go from Nevermore riffing to powerful yet fluid lead tones that would be a good choice. If you want a little more dynamics, a bit more vocal midrange richness, and a lead tone that is sweeter, I'd go HD/RY.

You can't go wrong either way though, and I do have an exchange policy in case you were not happy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
By the way I have the Painkiller set in both regular and f-spaced, and 7-string.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've received more shipments this week and as a result have new extras in stock. I updated the list on the first page, which I'll paste below as well:

EXTRA STOCK (Updated: 10/15/09)

1. Cold Sweat 8 (bridge & sets)
2. Miracle Man 6 (bridge)
3. Painkiller 6 (set, 50mm)
4. Painkiller 6 (set, 53mm)
5. Painkiller 7 (bridge & sets)
6. Warpig 6 (set, distressed, ceramic bridge)
7. Warpig 7 (set, silver allen bolts, ceramic bridge)
8. Warpig 7 (bridge, black allen bolts, ceramic bridge)
9. Warpig 8 (neck)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Are these sold through axe palace or directly through you on ss.org?

Both I assume, other people outside of SS.org can find the AP's website and those of us who know Nick on here can buy them as well

Anos

Reaction score
so is the 7 string set the same price as the 6 for the painkillers? how much is shipping?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Are these sold through axe palace or directly through you on ss.org?

Generally customers who originate from here or other forums end up buying them from me on the forums. Others decide to order with a credit card over the phone, while others use PayPal over email. It really doesn't matter, it's whatever is most convenient for you guys as The Axe Palace is just me :)

so is the 7 string set the same price as the 6 for the painkillers? how much is shipping?

BKP 7-strings cost a bit more than the 6-strings, and the 8s a bit more than the 7s. The Painkiller 7-string set per the current exchange rate is $269.99, while a single PK7 bridge would be $139.99. I only charge $4.95 for USPS 2-Day Priority shipping w/ tracking.

Anos

Reaction score
so I have a quick question. I know I want a painkiller for the bridge, but I am not sure for the neck. I have an all walnut carvin 727. I play prog metal with .70 gauge strings tuned to G, C standard. I have coil splitting and and a phase switch as well. What would you recommend?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
so I have a quick question. I know I want a painkiller for the bridge, but I am not sure for the neck. I have an all walnut carvin 727. I play prog metal with .70 gauge strings tuned to G, C standard. I have coil splitting and and a phase switch as well. What would you recommend?

The Painkiller neck would be great in walnut. It's clean, articulate, harmonically rich, yet has a smooth character to it that lends itself to great lead tones as well as cleans. It's pretty tight too, so if you play runs on the lower strings on the neck pickup it's not going to sound like a tuba. And of course, you save some money getting a matched set versus two separate models.

It's also important to note that with BKP, their neck models are their own design from their bridge counterparts. It's not merely a lower output version of the bridge, so even though the PK neck is designed to go perfectly with the PK bridge, it's still offers diverse tones.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
**ANNOUNCEMENT**

I'm happy to report that BKPs are now available in red, green, blue and yellow in both standard and widespaced options for 6-strings. This is in addition to the already available white, black, creme, zebra, purple, and all the lovely cover options.

There is going to be some exciting 7-string BKP news very soon. More details to come shortly. Their engineer is hard at work on tooling up.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hope it's soon... I've got a guitar that's waiting for this announcement :lol:

Of course I still need to decide which pups to get :lol:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
There is going to be some exciting 7-string BKP news very soon. More details to come shortly. Their engineer is hard at work on tooling up.

Exciting news, eh? Sounds exciting! I'm eager to hear what it is.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I need white 7 string covered pups for that new Rico we have going Nick!!!!!!!!!!! :yesway::cool:

Yeah dude, I'll try to make that happen for you. I think there will be 7-string covers before colored bobbins but I'll let you guys know. We're workin' on it :)

I hope it's soon... I've got a guitar that's waiting for this announcement :lol:

Of course I still need to decide which pups to get :lol:

What are the specs of the guitar in question Steve? I can help.

Exciting news, eh? Sounds exciting! I'm eager to hear what it is.

:metal:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What are the specs of the guitar in question Steve? I can help.

It's the ex in my sig... rosewood neck with ebony stingers (and it's a KxK so it's got the wide paddle with a lot of rosewood), ebony board, limba wings, thick bubinga top. Chambered body. I'm looking for something lower output with a nice singing tone, sort of Holdsworth'ish. I was thinking about trying a set of Emeralds for that one.

The other one is all limba with an ebony board. I'm going either Holy Divers or Painkillers in that one, just need to make up my mind.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's the ex in my sig... rosewood neck with ebony stingers (and it's a KxK so it's got the wide paddle with a lot of rosewood), ebony board, limba wings, thick bubinga top. Chambered body. I'm looking for something lower output with a nice singing tone, sort of Holdsworth'ish. I was thinking about trying a set of Emeralds for that one.

The other one is all limba with an ebony board. I'm going either Holy Divers or Painkillers in that one, just need to make up my mind.

Rebel Yell in #1, Painkiller in #2 for sure :yesway:

')