FS: Bare Knuckle Pickups (Painkiller, Nailbomb, Warpig, etc)

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a bit cynical in saying so, but it all sounds like a bunch of cork sniffing BS to me. Especially with so many factors going into your overall tone. Ummmm.... like the amp you're using and how well you've EQ'd it.

I think what matters more is what guitar the pickup is going into. The combination of the 2. All I know is the painkillers in my Les Paul sound freakin awesome. Boxy... too much upper mids? I don't think so. My LP was sounding pretty muddy with Burstbucker Pros, and when the painkillers were put in, the guitar just came to life.

it's definitely a combination of elements and you have to match your pickup to your guitar and desired sound, but the BKP has additional subtlety to its sound that it totally missing from big name brand pickups.

i tried all kinds of EQing before i got the BKP and when i got it, it's like a veil was lifted off of my gear. everything suddenly sounded better no matter how i EQed it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

whosdealin

Reaction score
Yeah thats just a tweaked pickup Tim made for a guy, not a model. Not really a big deal. Until you've played a lot of their models I wouldn't even worry about customizing them further.

I'm kinda hoping BK comes out with maybe a couple more bridge pickups. I think they all sound great but I would love to hear something that does leads like the HD and the NB and has Super tight lows like the C-pig or PK.

Nick, my guess is you would tell someone who is looking for something like this to get a Rebel Yell. If thats the case I would agree. I think The Rebel Yell is the most like that. I just think it would be cool if there was a couple others along those lines. The Rebel Yell sounds great but I think it sounds best in darker guitars.

What about something like a Rebel Yell but darker and a little fatter on the highs. Something like this might not be possible though because once you fatten up the highs I realize the low end might not be as tight.

Anyway its just a thought. I happen to really like the Alinco 5 pickups because they just have that juicy organic kinda tone for leads and chords. Ceramics are great for the tight low end riffing. Im sure its tough to make a pickup that sounds like both magnets at the same time :lol:

SpiritCrusher86

Plays 6-Strings
Reaction score
I'm kinda hoping BK comes out with maybe a couple more bridge pickups. I think they all sound great but I would love to hear something that does leads like the HD and the NB and has Super tight lows like the C-pig or PK.

Nick, my guess is you would tell someone who is looking for something like this to get a Rebel Yell. If thats the case I would agree. I think The Rebel Yell is the most like that. I just think it would be cool if there was a couple others along those lines. The Rebel Yell sounds great but I think it sounds best in darker guitars.

What about something like a Rebel Yell but darker and a little fatter on the highs. Something like this might not be possible though because once you fatten up the highs I realize the low end might not be as tight.

Anyway its just a thought. I happen to really like the Alinco 5 pickups because they just have that juicy organic kinda tone for leads and chords. Ceramics are great for the tight low end riffing. Im sure its tough to make a pickup that sounds like both magnets at the same time :lol:
Agreed, i'd also like to see less pups suited for mahogany, and more for different woods. I wish they'd make something tight as fuck like the PK, but not as bright and agressive. I guess thats what the RY, MM, and C-Pig are for, but I would still like a bigger selection.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
Agreed, i'd also like to see less pups suited for mahogany, and more for different woods. I wish they'd make something tight as fuck like the PK, but not as bright and agressive. I guess thats what the RY, MM, and C-Pig are for, but I would still like a bigger selection.

BKP will wind you anything you want.

just ask Tim for a less bright and aggressive PK if that's what you're looking for :lol:.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score

I really feel like they have something for everyone as is, you just need to match the guitar to it. Knowing the situation with your main guitar, it seems as if it has overbearing characteristics which it makes it tough to find pickups for. I think with your next guitar that will not be a problem. There are plenty of BKP models that have wonderful lead tones AND tight lows, but your guitar/amp have to do some of the work too :)

You haven't even played a BKP yet bro, take it easy :lol: Before declaring they need more models, try a few first haha. There are PLENTY that are well suited for other woods :)

BKP will wind you anything you want.

just ask Tim for a less bright and aggressive PK if that's what you're looking for :lol:.

This too :yesway:

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
How would that ceramic pig sound in an old schecter c7? i think its mahogany but im not 100% on that. there is almost too much brightness in the loomis, would changing woods be able to help with that?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Another big lot of pickups came in over the weekend, will be shipping them out today!

How would that ceramic pig sound in an old schecter c7? i think its mahogany but im not 100% on that. there is almost too much brightness in the loomis, would changing woods be able to help with that?

The ceramic Warpig would be epic in the Loomis IMO. In the old C7 it would sound good too but there may be better alternatives. It really depends on the sound one is shooting for.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Updated list of available BKPs (in stock and ready to ship):

6-strings

Nailbomb set (black cover, 53/50MM)
Painkiller bridge (black, 53MM)
Warpig bridge (camo, 53MM, ceramic)
Warpig bridge (distressed, 53MM, ceramic)
Warpig neck (distressed, alnico)

7-strings

Painkiller set (camo covers)
Warpig bridge (black, ceramic)

8-strings

Cold Sweat set (black)
Miracle Man set (black)
Painkiller bridge (red/black)
Warpig bridge (white)
Warpig set (black)

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
ok, i might give it a shot in the c7 sometime just to see what its like. ive had it in the loomis for about a week and ive been tweaking the eq and amp to make it sound right, but its not where i want it yet.

the cleans are perfect though, when its in parallel its just the best clean ive ever heard.

whosdealin

Reaction score
I really feel like they have something for everyone as is, you just need to match the guitar to it. Knowing the situation with your main guitar, it seems as if it has overbearing characteristics which it makes it tough to find pickups for. I think with your next guitar that will not be a problem. There are plenty of BKP models that have wonderful lead tones AND tight lows, but your guitar/amp have to do some of the work too :)

Yeah you are probably right man. Bk does have a wide selection and I know Tim is open to putting different types of magnets on the stock models like a Ceramic Nailbomb or Ceramic Warpig so that opens the door up to even more possibilities ! ! :hbang:

carbon

Reaction score
ty.jpg

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Alright, so in about 3 or so weeks' time, I'll be placing an order for another set of BKP's :wavey:

Like I said, this time, they'll be for my RG7421. Standard make-up - basswood, maple and rosewood. The rig is a Framus Dragon through Mesa Recto cab, you could imagine just how thick that set-up sounds. I'm looking for something that'll be brutal-sounding, and maybe have a bit of a "grindy" voicing to it. Tightness and articulation will also be an important factor because the guitar will be tuned to G. I guess the closest thing I could compare the sound I'm looking for to is After the Burial's tone. Cleans are also pretty important, so I'm looking for something versatile. From what I've gathered, it sounds like the PK or CS set (with sexy covers, of course :)) might be what I'm looking for, although the MM and WP (possibly C-Pig) also sound very interesting. What are your thoughts, Nick?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Alright, so in about 3 or so weeks' time, I'll be placing an order for another set of BKP's :wavey:

Like I said, this time, they'll be for my RG7421. Standard make-up - basswood, maple and rosewood. The rig is a Framus Dragon through Mesa Recto cab, you could imagine just how thick that set-up sounds. I'm looking for something that'll be brutal-sounding, and maybe have a bit of a "grindy" voicing to it. Tightness and articulation will also be an important factor because the guitar will be tuned to G. I guess the closest thing I could compare the sound I'm looking for to is After the Burial's tone. Cleans are also pretty important, so I'm looking for something versatile. From what I've gathered, it sounds like the PK or CS set (with sexy covers, of course :)) might be what I'm looking for, although the MM and WP (possibly C-Pig) also sound very interesting. What are your thoughts, Nick?

I would go with the MM or CS in there. Both would fit the bill with your setup great. Personally I would go with the MM set. The bridge model is tight, heavy, chunky, powerful and defined whereas the neck model has a wonderfully fluid lead tone not to mention great cleans. Of course in the split and middle positions glorious cleans can be had as well. BKPs really take well to coil splitting. Most of all, the MM is very basswood friendly and should help tighten up/smooth out the harsh/honky/loose/woofy qualities inherent with V30 cabs.

The CS would work too but I get the sense something a bit more hot and powerful would do the Dragon some good.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Alright, sounds good to me. I think I'll give a MM set a shot. Think you could PM me with a quote for a set of MM's with distressed covers like these? Oh, and how customizable are the poles, as far as screws/allens/colours go?

pk7dis.jpg

Thanks!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Alright, sounds good to me. I think I'll give a MM set a shot. Think you could PM me with a quote for a set of MM's with distressed covers like these? Oh, and how customizable are the poles, as far as screws/allens/colours go?

pk7dis.jpg

Thanks!

You can choose the color of the poles (black, chrome, gold). The type of pole pieces should not be changed because they're integral to the pickups sound. The Miracle Man would look similar to the Painkiller, with one row of slugs (under the cover) and one row of screws (above it).

carbon

Reaction score
Hahah, awesome man, thanks so much. That's definitely a first, I like that :wub:

Haha no, thank you, this pickup is sick as fuck :metal:. I now need to upgrade my 6 string, a Dean Vendetta. How much is a covered set gonna run me versus a covered bridge?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Haha no, thank you, this pickup is sick as fuck :metal:. I now need to upgrade my 6 string, a Dean Vendetta. How much is a covered set gonna run me versus a covered bridge?

The sets are usually about $10-20 cheaper than buying 2 individual pickups :)

')