Full fifths tuning - technology finally catching up to ideas

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Back in the 1980s, I experimented with full fifths tuning, but as the highest a 25.5” string could go was G#4, I gave it up. I wanted something a bit normal for my open strings, and my playing wasn’t up to playing completely closed. I decided if I couldn’t get up to a B4, I’d just keep playing in a few other tunings which didn’t require restringing, rather than use a crippled fifths tuning. Going that route just kept the discontinuity of an odd interval among the constant intervals of the other strings, so why not stick with standard, for the most part?

(Incidentally, I was using one of the early Ovation collector’s editions with the shallow body. I always thought interesting that Bob Fripp decided to go that route as well. There’s something about those guitars which invited exploration, I guess. Beyond that, as Bob was also around quite a few folk instruments in the same area I was in, even making a deal with a local guitar and folks instrument store to get reduced prices on the guitars for the Guitar Craft courses he started some time after, I suspect he was influenced by the same thoughts that I was, upon being able to hear and try so many bouzoukis, mandolins and octave mandolins.)

----

Three years ago, I got to play a friend’s 5-course mandolin-mandola, which is tuned in full fifths. I had previously thought about getting a 5- or 6-course cittern in full fifths, but they run about $3k for a decent one, and I just couldn’t see getting an instrument which seems constrained in terms of sound.

----

More recently, I started thinking more seriously about fifths tuning again, and in looking around, I found that Garry Goodman was making strings of a new material, one which could be tuned to A4 at the 25.5” scale length, and the other capable of reaching B4.

octave4plus.com

(I know they’ve been posted about, but I haven’t read of anyone doing the full fifths thing,by going higher yet. I might have missed it when I went through the archives, though.)

The time was right, and I sent in an order. I did a set-up on one of my guitars, allowing a marginally larger string for the bottom course, and making sure the string path was completely smooth for the expected B4 string. (At $5 a pop, I don’t want to spend more on strings than I have to because something bites into the string at full tension.) When the strings arrived, I strung up the guitar, taking a bit more time for the top B4 than they suggest so I wouldn’t break it in my impatience.

Voila! I had a six-string tuned C2 – G2 – D3 – A3 – E4 – B4. By capoing at the fifth fret, the top four strings correspond to the violin, and the middle four strings to a viola. Open, the bottom four strings are pitched as a cello.

----

By using an eBow with a bridge humbucker, one can get amazing tones out of the instrument, and even just using a pick, one can learn quite a bit of fingering technique out of books for bowed instruments. If cello players can play scales with fifth tuning, there’s no reason I shouldn’t be able to learn at longer scale lengths as well.

----

I’m having an Ovation 12-string set up to have unison strings on the bottom courses (normally the strings in the bottom four courses are tuned in octaves), in order to get better tone when played acoustically, compared to a single-strung acoustic six-string.

Now I’m looking for more. I’ve put in an order for a hardtail Agile Interceptor Pro 828. With the 28” scale length, I am planning on tuning the instrument Ab0 – Eb1 – Bb1 – F2 – C3 – G3 – D4 – A4, giving me a range of six octaves. As this will give me more range than a standard bass and a guitar, I think it will keep me busy for quite a while. If I have it set up perfectly, I should be able to slip in a mute and even work on tapstyle/touchstyle, and the range of the instrument will be both higher and lower than the 12-string Stick.

----

There’s quite a few resources out there for learning soloing and chording on mandolin and cittern, all of which apply to full fifths tuning on guitar. I’m finding it easy to move everything around the fretboard, especially as the stringing is completely consistent. I’ve found quite a few posts about folks using a crippled fifths tuning, but IMO that doesn’t allow one to leverage the consistencies across the fretboard, as one still has to learn the exceptions to the patterns.

At the time a lot of folks first started looking at this tuning, the strings just weren't where they are now, and the instruments also didn't have the set-up options of today. I believe that the time is right, and that string and instrument technology have gotten to the point where full fifths tuning is not just possible, but plausible. If it becomes a bit more widespread, I can imagine all those who took violin lessons as kids being able to apply that to guitar; bringing in that body of technique can only help guitar in the long run.

It’s cool to read of those who have consistently using full fifths tuning; other than a few folks I’ve run into on the mando-instruments forums, this is the only place I’ve been able to find others who are interested and working in full fifths. As this is my first post on this forum, thanks for giving me such a cool place to de-lurk.

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
first of all :welcome:

I think you just found out the best place for such things like fifths tuning, erg guitars and all that unusual musical stuff you can imagine, that forum is just AWESOME :metal:

btw. I also use symmetrical tuning like fifths, but I use all fourths (P4) tuning for all my instruments :)

troyguitar

Reaction score
Rock on. I kept an old strat in 5ths for awhile at F-C-G-D-A-E so I didn't need any special strings but found that I didn't really use the low F string.

Maybe I'll grab some octave4plus strings and try it your way with the high B, or maybe down a full step from there...

vansinn

Reaction score
Great post! I'm getting increasingly interested in fifth tunings, surely due to taking violin lessons in my teens, and my love for renaissanse music.
I'd love to have one sometime soon, only finance doesn't permit ATM.
I have a hard time seeing fifth tunings being practical without a multiscale layout, though.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah,i did 5th tuning on a 25.5" fretless a while back. G(Half step above 8 string F#), DAEBF# here.

No special strings or anything needed, and the bottom strings are a violin, a couple octaves down.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Vansinn, cash shouldn’t be a huge deal to do this on an acoustic. Currently my acoustic is strung:

B4 - .006 Octave4Plus string for B4
E4 - .010 D’Addario plain steel
A3 - .020 D’Addario PB wound
D3 - .030 D’Addario PB wound
G2 - .042 D’Addirio PB wound
C2 - .054 D’Addario PB wound

And, as always, be sure your string path is clean. I was worried that the bridge pin would bite into the O4+ string, so I took care to make sure there were no sharp edges on either the edge where the string comes out of the hole, or anywhere on the bridge pin. I also made sure there were no edges on the bridge saddle or nut. This stringing has the same tension as the extra-light D’Addario set of phosphor bronze strings, so the neck isn’t under stress.

When using the acoustic with others, I can run the output through a Korg Pandora PX4A, which is now full of all kinds of patches which give me mandolin, mandola and bouzouki/octave mandolin tones. With a tiny little Danelectro Honeytone N-10 battery-powered amp unobtrusively placed under my chair, it gets all kinds of remarks: “How are you getting that shimmery tone out of that guitar?””How are you getting the octave bass notes with single strings?”

(Incidentally, a lot of folks say that the Pandora eats batteries, but by keeping the backlight off, I’ve gotten more than 10 hours of life out of my first set of batteries. Could the problem really be something that simple?)

I knew I was in it for the long haul, so I wound up buying a few strings at once. There’s a shipping charge for each order from Octave4Plus, so buying at least four strings would help mitigate that, spreading that $5 charge a bit, instead of buying a single $10 string.

And, if one is going to use the tuning over time, it is completely worth it to do the string calculations, make sure the gauges work for the length, and then ordering strings in bulk. The cost of a full fifths string set for six-string, ordering in bulk, is less than $10US a set. There’s quite a few online shops which sell singles, both plain and wound, in bulk.

I use the D’Addario string tension chart for getting into the ballpark. I know what strings I normally like, and the D’Addario chart allows me to find the normal tension for that gauge, and then to find a string diameter with the same tension for the new pitch.

http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

Even if it seems like a lot of math to do strings which have different lengths, I sometimes use the OpenOffice freeware, which contains an Microsoft Excel-compatible spreadsheet program, to set up a worksheet where I can alter the length, tension and pitch. It’s sometimes hard to figure out how to get the math to work out automatically, and I am DEFINITELY not the person to explain it, but it could be worth the time investment.

If you’re stringing an instrument with the standard 25.5” scale length, another shortcut I use is to remember that doubling the diameter on the chart lowers the pitch of the string an octave. The chart doesn’t support going really low, but doubling the A and Ab strings is easier than doing the math.

----

Vansinn, what do you mean by a multiscale layout?

Cheers!

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
fifths tuning is totally awesome stuff. I cant play anything on it that doesn't sound super blotted-science influenced

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Fifths tunning is the shit basically.
I love symmetrical tunnings, and the only other tunnign I would ever use besides fifths, is fourths.
I would LOVE to try it on a seven or eight.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
this just makes me wish I could find a Schecter Cello Blaster even more... or they'd re-release them.

schecter.jpg
2001-red-a5x.jpg
2001-walnutgloss-c5x.jpg

… the next generation of Rock guitar is here! Create Sonic sub-lows with this revolutionary new patented 5-String instrument. Tuned in 5ths, with its extra-long scale (27 extra jumbo frets), extended sonic range, and ‘harmonic separation’, the CB-2000 is the ultimate in power, clarity and versatility. Go beyond the range of a 7-String with a neck (40mm at nut) that takes no getting used to!
Available in: Black, Gun Metal Gray, Dark Metallic Blue, Satin Black.

The CB-2000 is tuned (low to high) A/E/B/F#/C#, factory strung with custom Schecter CELLOBLASTER™ Rhythm from Hell strings (.0111/2” /.019/.036/.050/.074). These will be available from authorized Schecter dealers everywhere.

For players who do not dare tread to the depths of a low ‘A’, a NEO-CLASSICAL set will be available to tune the CB-2000 to the more traditional tuning of C/G/D/A/E. (.010/.016/.029/.043/.067).

vansinn

Reaction score
Vansinn, cash shouldn’t be a huge deal to do this on an acoustic. Currently my acoustic is strung:

B4 - .006 Octave4Plus string for B4
E4 - .010 D’Addario plain steel
A3 - .020 D’Addario PB wound
D3 - .030 D’Addario PB wound
G2 - .042 D’Addirio PB wound
C2 - .054 D’Addario PB wound

...snipped...

I use the D’Addario string tension chart for getting into the ballpark. I know what strings I normally like, and the D’Addario chart allows me to find the normal tension for that gauge, and then to find a string diameter with the same tension for the new pitch.

http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

Hadn't noticed this document. Like many in here, I use these two online tools:
http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/
http://www.fretfind.ekips.org/2d/nonparallel.php

Vansinn, what do you mean by a multiscale layout?

Multiscale, compound scale, fanned fret.. unequal string scales, to accomodate different tension schemes, avoid too thin upper strings and too thick lower strings.
It's been discussed quite a lot in here.
I don't have such an instrument as yet, but the more I looked into it, the more natural it seems, to the point of straight/perpendicular fretting starting to look unnatural, at least on more than 6/7 stings and for tunings like the 5th.
The 'nonparallel' applet referred above can be used to calculate multiscales; and can be combined with with the other tool for calculating tensions.

Your referred string selections for the acoustics 5th looks way too varied in gauges for my preferences; hence my comment on using a multiscale layout.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
those cello blasters look sweet. I tune a squier stratocaster in 5ths and I like it so much that I am going to set up another guitar a little better with the 5ths tuning. I need at least a 27" scale because I want to go low and about the same high end as a standard guitar. We'll see. I think that 5ths is a wonderful tuning because of the super wide chords and the arpeggios line up a little easier than on a 4ths tuning.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
this just makes me wish I could find a Schecter Cello Blaster even more... or they'd re-release them.

schecter.jpg
2001-red-a5x.jpg
2001-walnutgloss-c5x.jpg

the next generation of Rock guitar is here! Create Sonic sub-lows with this revolutionary new patented 5-String instrument. Tuned in 5ths, with its extra-long scale (27 extra jumbo frets), extended sonic range, and ‘harmonic separation’, the CB-2000 is the ultimate in power, clarity and versatility. Go beyond the range of a 7-String with a neck (40mm at nut) that takes no getting used to!
Available in: Black, Gun Metal Gray, Dark Metallic Blue, Satin Black.

The CB-2000 is tuned (low to high) A/E/B/F#/C#, factory strung with custom Schecter CELLOBLASTER™ Rhythm from Hell strings (.0111/2” /.019/.036/.050/.074). These will be available from authorized Schecter dealers everywhere.

For players who do not dare tread to the depths of a low ‘A’, a NEO-CLASSICAL set will be available to tune the CB-2000 to the more traditional tuning of C/G/D/A/E. (.010/.016/.029/.043/.067).

Great pics! Haven't seen those two on the right before. I'd love a two-PU one tuned CGDAE!

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Apparently they made a Alex Greggory Signature model 7 string tuned in 5ths but they only ever made 3 of them from what I found on the net and there's no pictures. The ones I posted above are cheaper versions they bought the license of the guy to build and than they had a falling out.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Apparently they made a Alex Greggory Signature model 7 string tuned in 5ths but they only ever made 3 of them from what I found on the net and there's no pictures. The ones I posted above are cheaper versions they bought the license of the guy to build and than they had a falling out.

I think the Schecter Alex Gregory sig was actually tuned DGCFADG rather than in fifths, as he couldn't find strings that would tune to a high A at the time. You're right about the licensing issue though, which really sucks, as I'd love to see a new range of celloblasters (Hellraiser C5?).:(

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I think the Schecter Alex Gregory sig was actually tuned DGCFADG rather than in fifths, as he couldn't find strings that would tune to a high A at the time. You're right about the licensing issue though, which really sucks, as I'd love to see a new range of celloblasters (Hellraiser C5?).:(
Ahh interesting.. I was wondering what they'd tune it in and most of the posts made it seem like it was tuned like the 5's.. I don't get why they didn't just do a 6 string baritone and tune it like that rather than loose a string...

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
I don’t know about how varied the gauges themselves are, but the string tensions on all my guitars are pretty even.

[Warning: personal preference ahead. No aspersions are being cast on other’s preferences. These are merely my own preferences, based on my own situation.] I like playing with light strings at this point, and I’m no longer heavy handed. I had to practice this, as I used to have hand issues, but now I no longer have to fret and play with all my might. It’s interesting how much easier it is to play when one only has to fret, as opposed to fighting the stiffness of strings and higher action. [End preference alert.]

No one trying my fifth-tuned instruments has really noticed the string gauge variation, but the string heights are all pretty even across the bed thanks to good set-up. Other than adding the .006 B4 string, the rest of the strings are all in keeping with the tensions and sizes of a set of D’Addario EJ15 extra lights on the acoustic.

The real test will be when I get my Agile Intrepid Pro, because the target bottom string on that will be a .100. I think that I’ll be playing the Intrepid for a while as a seven string, to be sure the string gauges work for everything else for a month; if not, I’ll be within my return period. After it works out for seven-string fifths, I’ll have the nut, tuners and ferrules altered to have the full eight-string fifths tuning. I do trust my guitar tech to make the work look good, as she is one of the most reputable and acclaimed techs and luthiers in the area. She’s intrigued by the conversion work I’ve been doing on my other instruments. I’m going to buy a set of matching inline tuners so she can do a few drill-outs of the string holes in the machines without my having to wait for additional tuners if things go south on one or two.

I don’t know how fanned frets/multiscaling would work for tapstyle, which is another consideration which led to my going for the parallel fretted Intrepid.

I know that you guys here at SS.org have much more experience than I in terms of workable string gauges for lower pitches on electric guitar. Other than guitar, my main instrument is an archaic ancestor of the piano, with varying string lengths and a lot of experimentation to get not just the right pitch at the right tension, but also the right tone. On electric, there doesn’t seem to be much one can do beyond nickel and steel, so one doesn’t have the material density options which are available for the acoustic instrument world. It's possible that the Intrepid will turn out to be a dog, but I'm hopeful that I might get somewhere with it. The real test will be if folks trying my Intrepid out, with no preconceptions as to extended range instruments, find it comfortable to play.

----

The only thing which will just kill me would be for Octave4Plus to go out of business. I’m relying on a single source for a critical component of my playing at this point. I am hopeful that the market for strings of this particular material grows further, because that makes it more likely that other sources will appear.

----

I noticed the Celloblaster, and have been tempted by its funkiness factor, but I like having the violin range easily accessible, along with the full bass range of a normal six-string. Still, nothing says non-standard like someone counting the tuning machines and getting a number that’s... odd. *laugh*

')