Full transition? Or hold off?

• Thread starter NoodleFace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I started playing 7's about a month and a half ago. I loved it immediately when I got it (1527), and quickly adjusted. Problem now seems when I pick up my 6 (RG3120, prestige as well), the neck feels like a toy and I also play a lot sloppier. My hands over-compensate for the smaller neck, sweeping is definitely harder, and it seems a lot more comfortable for me to play a 7. Also.. my 6 is tuned to B for my band.

My question to you guys that have been in this situation, did you do a full transition to 7's only?

Reason asking is 1st because of the comfort, but second I've been offered a very mint 7620 in black (D-sonic) from a forumite for my RG3120. Now, I know the 3120 has a little bit more in terms of looks and the stock pickups, but I'm considering this deal to go full 7. Can anyone offer insight into this? My 3120 was my first real guitar I bought with my own money, actually $600 discontinued (worth a bit more I think), so it's kind of sentimental. But I'm not sure what I should do. Also, is this a fair trade or will I be losing out a bit?

I'll still have a 6, a Gibson LP Custom, but it's just too difficult to use for what I play and beat up from the years.

Just looking for some thoughts on this. Thanks guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nickplaysguitar

Reaction score
i personally hate playing 6 strings, i would never go back to a 6 string lol, i have a couple nice ones but they never get played =\

my 6 strings are sentimental to me id never sell them

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
I did it. :yesway:

Of couse, still being fairly new to playing (2 years) I didn't have a 'good' guitar to ponder over. About the only reason I might ever have to use a sixxer would be lessons- or the fact that an acoustic 7 is a rare sight. I like 7s better- why not go with them all the time.

You might not choose the same, but it's your decision and only a matter of preference. :shrug:

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been juggling 6's and 7's for a while, but lately, I just seem to have gravitated towards 7's full time. Now there's only one 6 that I want to keep.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Keep a 6-strings. You'll need it to fool around with from time to time... Only to come back to the evidence : 7's feel better.

See? They serve a purpose. :D

I get the same impression when i play a 6 now.
My fingers feels like they're double sized for the neck and it does miss a string.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I go back and forth, but I'm always wishing that both necks were a little beefier (yeah, my seven is a Schecter... I'm an odd one) - my seven is more versatile, my six is a thrash monster.

Jeff

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
I go back and forth, but I'm always wishing that both necks were a little beefier (yeah, my seven is a Schecter... I'm an odd one) - my seven is more versatile, my six is a thrash monster.

Jeff

You actually play guitar? I thought you just came on this board to argue with liberals? :lol:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Their subtly hidden communist plot to destroy humanity inspires me to rock like nothing else can.

Jeff

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Keep a 6-strings. You'll need it to fool around with from time to time... Only to come back to the evidence : 7's feel better.

See? They serve a purpose. :D

I get the same impression when i play a 6 now.
My fingers feels like they're double sized for the neck and it does miss a string.

:agreed:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Hold on to it if it means something special to you. If you're pressed for cash you'll work through it eventually and just having less spending money for a while will be regretted far less than letting go of a guitar that you shouldn't have let go of.

Jeff

Reaction score
i really don't care about my 6 anymore!They feel like toy and all my songs need the 7. string!Heck i am planing moving to 8 string area..The evolution moves forward ,not backwards!

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
sometimes the restriction of only having 6 strings can be an inspiration...

...when you get back to your 7 ;)

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I'm now play only 7 string (exept one acoustick guitar)

And I dan't want to play 6 anymore ever :fawk:

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a hell raiser, or loomis model, and taking my current 7, taking the B string off, and tuning it to D (Like I have my 6's) just because I can't play my 6's without messing up terribly! It's really annoying! I just feel cramped on the shorter scale.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I say do it! If you prefer 7-strings to 6-strings anyway, I don't see any problem with trading a 6-string for a 7-string, unless that 6-string is pretty special and has something to offer that the 7-string in question doesn't.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't played my sixes in forever but I still don't want to get rid of them because one was my very first guitar given to me by my Dad (and I don't see him very often), and the other years later by my Mom. Both times they were given to me it struck a new interest in the instrument so they kinda both feel like my first guitars.

Honestly though if it wasn't for that sentimental stuff, I'd probably get rid of them. I've been playing 7s now for a year and have never felt the need to go back.

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
I love my 6 string, and I've started playing it loads again these days. I don't think I'd ever fully switch over, because theres something about the feel of a good 6er that I really enjoy.

If you keep playing both guitars soon you'll be able to switch between them no problem. Its only because you've had a period away from the 6 that your hands are not used to it. They need to develop '6 string mode' and '7 string mode'.

Don't get rid of it just because your hands have gotten used to the 7. They can be fickle fiends. 3120's are great guitars too, don't part with your's lightly!

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer a 7. But I think that you can play both if you keep going back and forth between the two.

If I had to choose, give me a 7 every time.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I'd never not have a six string. My 6 strings happily live in different tunings, and I do use them to write for a 7 as it restricts the playing a bit and can stop reliance on chugging all over the low B string.

Also, I keep meaning to sit down and learn some songs (which I haven't done for years) and a lot of that is just going to be in different tunings, and i really don't fancy retuning a 7 that I use for band stuff!

I have to admit, it does feel a bit weird playing a 6 from time to time, but I'd prefer to be able to play on both just for those moments where you don't have access to a 7 (or an 8 etc)

Latest posts

')