Fully programmable metronome

classicalmetal24

Reaction score
I need a programmable metronome for practising some complex songs, the songs involve many time changes but also the note values constantly change per beat, 32nd, 16th, to sextuplets and seven against four notes. As an example, what I need to do is be able to say, ok for four measures be 7/8 and for the next three measures be 16/8, I would want all possible time signatures at my disposal. Now the other important factor is that I would like the beats to have sub-divisions (this lets me say how many clicks per beat to accommodate the note value per beats). My search so far has led me to a few apps, I will name them and detail there pro's and cons:

metronomeDavidKBD - Android

Pros:

• Programmble measures.
  • accent beat
  • saving capabilities
  • Vast array of different meter times

Cons:

• bpm only reaches 250bpm (yes I can double with note values but I want to be able to reach 1000bpm)
  • Unable to choose a subdivision click ( say it's in 4/4 and the note value per beat is 32nd notes, I want to hear the initial click and then seven fast clicks after that)

metronome beats - Android

Pros:

• Has a subdivison click!
  • vast array of different meter times
  • accent beat

Cons:

• Unable to program the measures :(
  • Cannot save

Here is some other software that fell short for me:

metronomeOrchestra - android
Gtick - GNU/Linux
NCH Software metronome - windows

Anyways, as you can see from the information, it's just that one metronome software is always missing something vital for me, now I come to you guys to help me out here, suggest some software or ideas for me to use. I could use guitar pro to practice complex riffs, but I feel like GP is just holding my hand through it all and there is little thought on my side.

Thanks guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
Does it have to be a standalone metronome software? Most DAW programs allow you to do whatever you want with the grid/click. We use Pro Tools and have numerous signature/tempo changes with no issues. Also, maybe a tab program like Guitar Pro would work for you? We use Powertab but have never had an issue where we couldn't program what we needed to?

coffinwisdom

Reaction score
Have you tried using a DAW like Logic or Ableton?

I know for sure in Ableton I can easily program tempo and time signature changes to happen after X amount of bars or wherever you want them. It'd be like composing a song

I'm not sure I completely understand subdividing the click but apparently you can also do it in Ableton.

How to Subdivide the Click in Ableton « i am KP

classicalmetal24

Reaction score
Hi chris, the perfect metronome for me would be an app on my phone that allowed the sub division clicks and programmable measures.. I have used GP for awhile now, I feel like GP is holding my hand too much with my practice, I want to be able to just be anywhere and use an app on my phone.. Maybe there is a digital metronome I can buy as well, I dunno, hoping someone will have the answer for me.

classicalmetal24

Reaction score
ZMD I use Linux as a desktop, I may be able to run ableton via WINE, or Ardour may be able to do the job.

coffinwisdom

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend porting a DAW like that it'd probably be pretty buggy. I'm fairly certain Ardour would work tho. These are pretty standard DAW features.

As for being portable maybe you could just export your metronome tracks as mp3 files and just have em ready to go on your phone. I haven't looked into mobile apps

classicalmetal24

Reaction score
Given To Fly, the metronome is epic, maybe it's just me and I don't know how to use it, but how can I program the measures though? How can I, for example, make it 3 measures in 5/8 then 2 measures in 7/4?

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Given To Fly, the metronome is epic, maybe it's just me and I don't know how to use it, but how can I program the measures though? How can I, for example, make it 3 measures in 5/8 then 2 measures in 7/4?

This metronome assumes all time signatures have the same denominator. So in order to work around that, make everything 8th notes. For example, make 3 measures of 5/8, then 4 measures of 7/8, go to the sequencer and sequence a click for every 2 8th notes in the 7/8 measures, and the end result will be 3 measures of 5/8 and 2 measures of 7/4. While it isn't the most straight forward way of entering time signatures it doesn't have any limitations either.

mongey

Reaction score
I odnt think any app will do what you want. you can do it in ableton easy enough but even then you'll need to do some creative set up for subdivisions

1000 BPM ? I dont think anything is goin up to 1000 bpm

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Yea, you sound like me; you want it all! lol I actually really enjoy my Perterson StroboPlusHD tuner/metronome. Its metronome is incredibly versatile - and it's LOUD.

Otherwise, the best way to get what you want is to just program it into Logic or whatever. I went through and programmed Dream Theater's "Breaking All illusions" pretty easily, and that has literally HUNDREDS of time signature and tempo changes. Then you can use a drum sequencer to put accents where ever you want.

I really don't think you're going to find exactly what you're looking for in a small and portable package. 1000bpm? 99.9999% of people would NEVER use that - that's like 17 beats per second... totally useless lol. If you want that speed, turn on your car and listen to the engine just above idle :)

Latest posts

')