Fun little ss.org idea?

• Thread starter David
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
we pick a song, and we all cover it, then post it up. It'd be kind of fun to see how many ways and how many different sounding songs, of the same song, we get. I dunno, just an idea, and I'm looking for fun stuff to do over the summer.:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
David said:
we pick a song, and we all cover it, then post it up. It'd be kind of fun to see how many ways and how many different sounding songs, of the same song, we get. I dunno, just an idea, and I'm looking for fun stuff to do over the summer.:yesway:
That would be awesome.

It'd be especially better if the song wasn't too hard, so we didn't have to practice it much.

And pre-made drum tracks are a must.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I did Cliffs Of Dover a while back, search the forum. It's not as nearly as good as the way I play it now, plus it was rushed...lol. Maybe in the future I will redo it. :agreed:

I would rather do Manhattan though by EJ.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It should be something old and interpretive, llike Minor Swing or Dark Eyes, or even All of Me.

Actually, I think there's a large minority of people here who have already done the Mario theme.

anarchistwar

Reaction score
that sounds awsome, what songs are we thinking of doing? 7 string of course!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't we run into copyright issues here?

OK, I like the concept so my thoughts on it are as follows

- As bostjan suggested, something old that can be interpreted in different ways, not a 'guitar' track, particularly not a 7 string guitar track.

- Isn't there a member here from Chris' other forum who knows nothing about guitars whatsoever?? This person should choose the song.

How's that sound?

Ibanez_fanboy

I want a 1527!!
Reaction score
dpm said:
Couldn't we run into copyright issues here?

OK, I like the concept so my thoughts on it are as follows

- As bostjan suggested, something old that can be interpreted in different ways, not a 'guitar' track, particularly not a 7 string guitar track.

- Isn't there a member here from Chris' other forum who knows nothing about guitars whatsoever?? This person should choose the song.

How's that sound?

good except, isnt chris' other forum, a car forum? they would have us playing R&B or Rap songs, and that just wouldnt work....:lol:

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
Great idea!I'm well up for it :) I agree we should do a song that could be interpreted (arranged) in many different ways, so its more of a creative challenge, rather than 'who can play song x the best'
:hbang:

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
David said:

This is a great idea. I wouldn't choose any songs that would fun into copyright issues, as mentioned here before.

Why not choose a Christmas Carol? Perhaps would could create a carol for a holiday that has none, like Thanksgiving?

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Ibanez_fanboy said:
good except, isnt chris' other forum, a car forum? they would have us playing R&B or Rap songs, and that just wouldnt work....:lol:
I dunno, some hip hop etc would make for a good guitar track with the vocal part as the 'lead'.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dave, that's actually a pretty cool idea. Count me in.

Actually, a buddy of mine was working on an indie film not too long ago, and he sent out an e-mail to some of his musician friends asking us to record different renditions of "I Shot the Sherriff" for the sound track. I think we've already passed the deadline he needed them by, but still it'd be a cool song to do, as it's very recognizeable and has already been done in a couple different styles. If he's still looking for renditions, then we could toss him a link to the thread in question and hell, maybe he'd hear a couple he likes.

I'd also recommend NOT using a premade drum track, simply becase right off the bat that dictates so much of the style, arrangement, and overall "feel" of a peice. I'd rather have us all take a song that we all know and each take it in a radically different direction, you know?

Anyway, thoughts? Is there a song you guys would rather do? This one has a strong, familiar melody, is open to lots of interpretation, and while there are a few memorable hooks, it's not riff-based to the point where it'd be difficult to turn it into another direction - like, "Stairway to Heaven" for instance has such a recognizeable guitar part that it'd be very hard to do an instrumental version of it that differed significantly from the original.

Anyway, interesting idea. :metal:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh, and Dan, re: copyright issues - you can record a version of whatever the hell you want without running into problems provided 1.) you don't sample the original or any other copywritten work, where the performance itself is being reused, and 2.) you don't sell the finished peice without going through the necessary liscensing.

Posting up a bunch of links of covers we all did for fun on an internet message board is something there's no precident for prosecuting.

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
I think we should do 'The Power of Love' by Huey Lewis & the News. That would make me laugh.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree that it has to be something that's not necessarily a "guitar song". I.e. no shred. Since not everyone here is a shredder, it'll give us the option of doing something with vocals or play the melody some other way. If we picked a Steve Vai song, for example, we might as well just call ourselves Jemsite 2. :lol:

I'm definitely in though, depending on the song.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
woot, glad to see everyone liked the idea.:)

And yeah, nothing to hard, or too challenging. I'm up for anything!

Iron Maiden songs are pretty simple, and cool riffs.:yesway:

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
David said:
woot, glad to see everyone liked the idea.:)

And yeah, nothing to hard, or too challenging. I'm up for anything!

Iron Maiden songs are pretty simple, and cool riffs.:yesway:

Not if you're talking about ALL of the parts. The trouble with bands like Maiden (Queensryche, DT, et al) is that every one of the band members is able to showcase their talents in each song.

I want simplicity. You're aren't going to catch me pulling off Steve Harris basslines anytime soon.

Now, an AC/DC-sounding version of Silent Night? :metal:

Makelele

Reaction score
I think some 80's pop songs would be quite good, like "Take on Me". :D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol:

Yeah, if we're going to do this, we really need to steer away from something riff-based, where a specific guitar part is a very recognizeable part of the song. We want something where we're left to come up with our own unique parts to make the song work, rather than having some signature riffs already out there, I'd think...

[action=Drew]puts in another plug for "I Shot the Sherrif" :lol: [/action]

Something in a similar vein, though... Maybe "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," "All Along the Watchtower," "Under My Thumb..."

Hell, maybe even "Hit Me Baby One More Time." :lol:

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of fun! A Beatles song would definitely work, as it is crazy easy to get the chords for Beatles songs for free on the net. Just a thought. Maybe "Rain" would work

')