Fun little ss.org idea?

• Thread starter David
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh Fuck Yes! Orff's O Fortuna from the Carmina Burana is the coolest heavy riff ever, even though it's old.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Breezin' by George Benson.

Or 21st Century Schizoid man.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, next summer, we're totally doing this, and we're all recording versions of "Viva Las Vegas." Just as a word of warning. ;)

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Something 80's perhaps? How about rather than it being a particular song, we define a style and time period?

Or is that too vague? Might take the fun out it.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
Not if you're talking about ALL of the parts. The trouble with bands like Maiden (Queensryche, DT, et al) is that every one of the band members is able to showcase their talents in each song.

I want simplicity. You're aren't going to catch me pulling off Steve Harris basslines anytime soon.

Now, an AC/DC-sounding version of Silent Night? :metal:
true, and plus, I don't even have a bass, haha, so I was hoping I could steal someone else's.:lol:

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Okay guys...I've got it...

We cover...okay now prepare yourselves for this...

You Spin me Round (Like a Record) by Dead or Alive.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
'I wanna be a cowboy' by Boys Don't Cry gets my vote.
Or maybe 'The heat is on' or whatever it's called. Maybe some Wham, or Bros. There's many options in the crap bucket.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
OK, after a bunch of suggestions, someone should make a poll with all the suggestions.

I'm probably gonna get shot for this suggestion, but I think we should do a Cyndi Lauper song. The vocal melodies are awesome. :D

Another suggestion would be a No Doubt song. 'I'm Just a Girl' maybe?

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Another suggestion - maybe give a choice of 3 - 6 songs to cover. I remember doing music tests as a kid where you had a few options in each category.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
dpm said:
Another suggestion - maybe give a choice of 3 - 6 songs to cover. I remember doing music tests as a kid where you had a few options in each category.
Hmmm,
Maybe a 3 song selection, and you get to choose. Each song would vary in style and we can vote the winners in each catagory.

Seems too complicated :lol:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
nyck said:
Another suggestion would be a No Doubt song. 'I'm Just a Girl' maybe?
When I was in a band with a female singer, we did that song, it's a great song. :agreed:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
What if we dip into some classical/barouqe(note: spelling iffy) music and do "The Sorcerers Aprentice" or "A Night on Bald Mountain". If anyone here has seen "Fantasia" you'll know what these are(hint: Sorcerer has Micky Mouse in it). Also Night on Bald Mountain just begs to be metal :)evil:Dark, evil chromatic runs, rampant dischord:evil:) think about it.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm all for the classical, but there should be a funk tune (with free enough form) and a free-form jazz tune as well.

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
I 2nd for Viva Las Vegas. It's dead simple, leaves lots of room for interpretation, and was done by elvis! Have it done by "Sevenfest" as stated earlier. A good time to vote for a winner!:shred:

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
What about Mr. Roboto? That is kinda vague as far as guitar goes, so there's a lot of interpetation to do. Plus I would love to make this song sound a little more metal.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm likin' the funk stuff.:yesway: Those would have a lot of room for personal additions and freeform expression.:yesway:

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
That's why I'm keen on the old pop slant. A lot of that stuff is synth based, and so simplistic it can be taken in any direction.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
David said:
I'm likin' the funk stuff.:yesway: Those would have a lot of room for personal additions and freeform expression.:yesway:

Me too. Because if we do that, I'm already done and my entry is even the jukebox already. :lol:

No ConeSS

Contributor
Reaction score
Then there's Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" (original vox only, not the popular sampled drum overlay one)

')