Fun little ss.org idea?

• Thread starter David
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
See, I'm kinda against classical or jazz tunes simply based on complexity. Well, complexity and stylistic dictations. First, any classical peice is going to be, right off the bat, fairly difficult to play, so it's something we all have to learn first, and our ability to make the cover our own will be constricted by our ability to perform it.

Second, those two especially are styles that aren't going to allow for much in the way of stylistic interpretation. A classical peice, youre going to have mostly neoclassical or classical covers. A jazz tune, you'll see a lot of jazz and fusion. It's a lot harder to render a classical song as a country song or a bluegrass song than it is to do a fingerstyle acoustic arrangement of a pop song, for instance.

I'd rather see something in the pop/rock vein - an arrangement that can be distilled down to a couple of chords with a strong melody line. The more you can take away from the song and still leave it recognizeable, the more of your own you can add back in.

A lot of you are saying, "Let's do such-and-such a song, it has such an awesome riff." The problem with that though, is that if the riff's the most recognizeable part of the song, that completely limits you in what you can do in terms of arranging - you can't really change the "hook" of the song and still have it come out as the same song, so all of out covers are going to be based around the same riff, and many will be at similar tempos and a lot of them will probably sound pretty similar.

I'd rather do a cover with a great melody and a fairly simple set of changes to it. If you want, you can take that melody, add a couple of counterpoint lines, and turn it into a classical arrangement. Or, you could come up with a riff that suggests those changes, and do it up as a death metal song over a blast beat. Maybe break out a fruity loops vintage drum synth and do it as hip=hop. Or, an acoustic, some faux pedal steel licks, and a bad nashville accent and do it as country.

If we chose a song that's just a strong melody and a couple chords, it gives us a LOT more flexibility.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Good point on the Classical stuff, Drew, but I have to disagree with the jazz. Any older jazz tunes follow the same line of reason you set upon for pop music.

Even songs with catchy riffs can be crafted with different feel, but "feel" isn't much of a freedom to interpret, if you want to really show off. But most catchy riff songs can have a solo or interlude where you can get creative.

Knowing what an argumentative bunch we can all be, and factoring into account how hard we all are to please, I can see this easily spiralling into a never ending debate. Dare I suggest the mods and Chris narrow it down, post a poll, then decide what to do? The rest of us would just keep suggesting more ideas, then argue about them and never settle on anything. I wouldn't say this so soon, but this has already gone on for nearly 42 posts.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nah dude, I say we duke it out for sixteen pages, then cull the best ten or so suggestions from the ensuing bloodbath and post a poll of those. Darwinism at its' best. :D

Really early jazz, maybe you're right, bostjan. But, considering we have very few real jazz guys here, I suspect that a good chunk of the board isn't familiar with playing over changes, and of those of us who are (and I count myself in this group), I bet a lot of us are pretty rusty.

We just have to make sure that anything that gets put forth as a suggestion doesn't require a specific skill set that not everyone has.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Since this is David's "Fun little idea", I say he administers it.

I would suggest a series of polls (stop giggling TDW, wrong polls). First, give a choice of decades. Then, give a choice of styles. Once that's narrowed down, I'm sure there's a way to get a list of songs. A third poll (will you STOP giggling TDW, please.) will determine the song.

Obviously, 1890's hip hop would be a bad combination unless the song was about bunnies...

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Ken Burtch said:
Since this is David's "Fun little idea", I say he administers it.

I would suggest a series of polls (stop giggling TDW, wrong polls). First, give a choice of decades. Then, give a choice of styles. Once that's narrowed down, I'm sure there's a way to get a list of songs. A third poll (will you STOP giggling TDW, please.) will determine the song.

Obviously, 1890's hip hop would be a bad combination unless the song was about bunnies...
sounds good on the polls:yesway: , I'll post that up in a bit... or if one of you get to it before me, feel free.:)

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Mastodon said:
Okay guys...I've got it...

We cover...okay now prepare yourselves for this...

You Spin me Round (Like a Record) by Dead or Alive.
Actually, Dope's cover of that is pretty killer, and is in drop-A best I can tell.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Seriously, anything by The Beatles. All the chords are available, all the melody lines are strong, and everyone knows them all. Win/Win/Win.
Pick a Beatles song, any one of them, and do whatever the hell you want with it.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
jim777 said:
Seriously, anything by The Beatles. All the chords are available, all the melody lines are strong, and everyone knows them all. Win/Win/Win.
Pick a Beatles song, any one of them, and do whatever the hell you want with it.
I actually, don't know many of their songs. I konw a bunch of John Lennon's stuff... but not so much the beattles.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, Drew mentioned "Hit Me Baby One More Time", and I really like that idea. One of the guys (Marty) on Rock Star: INXS did a really dark sounding acoustic version of that, and it was really cool.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
David said:
I actually, don't know many of their songs. I konw a bunch of John Lennon's stuff... but not so much the beattles.

I keep forgetting I'm really, really old :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Eh, beatles would be good, but crappy modern pop would be a lot of fun too - I've heard a crazy 8-finger-tapped shred version of that song which rocked, lol.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
jim777 said:
I keep forgetting I'm really, really old :lol:
haha, it's not that, it's just I could never really get into them. The Beach Boys, The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, I'm into all of them, I'm just one of those weird rejects that can't get into the beattles...:lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's cool, David, the Stones kick the shit out of the beatles anyway. :wub:

:fawk:

Anyway David, I'd say it's your idea, you choose something. Narrowing it down by decade, then genre isn't a bad idea, but because those lines are kind of arbitrary we'll cut off a lot of songs that would otherwise be a lot of fun simply because they were a year too early, say.

If you want, just chose ten random silly songs and make a poll and have us vote on that, I'd say. :D

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
It's cool, David, the Stones kick the shit out of the beatles anyway. :wub:
:agreed:
drew said:
If you want, just chose ten random silly songs and make a poll and have us vote on that, I'd say. :D
:agreed:

Anyone familiar with the song "Ready to Go?"

My only problems with modern pop, although I'm up for it, are that the songs are so dated and usually cheesy or campy.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Why not record an uptempo 12-bar boogie blues track in either the key of E or B? It's simple, effective, & it offers plenty of room for creativeness. If you can't write a solo or melody around that, there's something wrong with you. :lol:

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, that decades idea kind of backfired... because everyone all of a sudden was like death metal!:hbang: yeah! \m/, hardcore riffs:hbang: ...

lets start listing the songs?:yesway:

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Shannon said:
Why not record an uptempo 12-bar boogie blues track in either the key of E or B? It's simple, effective, & it offers plenty of room for creativeness. If you can't write a solo or melody around that, there's something wrong with you. :lol:

A 12 bar would be great, but I think it would be better if everyone was working off the same main riff or melody line. So everything is a variation on a theme, as it were, instead of variations on a 12 bar wihtout a common theme.

How about Paint It Black, or even (dare I say it?) Comfortably Numb?
Maybe...Close to The Edge? maybe not.... ;)

')