Fun Mix Test (New PODX3, Addictive Drums, FLS8, Testosterone)

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Hey peeps,

Just recorded a little ditty to test out my PODX3 that I got for the big man's birthday. As stated in the title, I used Addictive Drums for the percussionistas, and FLS8 as my DAW. The tone you hear is straight up, raw Line 6 Big Bottom. No DAW EQ or anything. Cymbals are barely EQ'd. Mix comments and critiques are always welcome :wavey:.

This one is highest quality:
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/PODX3Test.mp3?w=b60b2877

Soundclick
SoundClick artist: mightymatt - page with MP3 music downloads
If anyone could tell me how to embed this, I will gladly do so for your convenience. I googled how to do it and nothing useful turned up...

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday :cheers:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Put the dropbox file in the public folder. The synth in the intro is killer :metal:

Also the guitars have a bit too much high end fizz or "presence". Tame that with some eqing around 3-5KHz and maybe low pass at 12K

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Tree,

I really appreciate your feedback. :yesway::yesway:

So I went ahead and cut the lows, boosted the mids, and brought down the 3, 5, and 8 KHz to try and get rid of some fizz and booming. I also lowered the volume of the guitars a bit, and EQ'd the drums a little.

Let's hope it's better this time!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17435531/PODX3TestEQedit1.wav

EDIT - It seems like the embedding didn't work :(. I moved the file into my public folder then copied the dropbox link by right-clicking. Maybe I'm just dumb haha.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the sound of the snare ! the kicks could use a bit more lows, and that synth in the beggining sounded really nice :)

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
I like the sound of the snare ! the kicks could use a bit more lows, and that synth in the beggining sounded really nice :)

Thanks dude :):). I did my best to add some low freq's to the kick without it getting to boomy/pumpy. I also did a bit of a filter "scoop" on the highs to eliminate a bit of clickyness and give the illusion of more low end :lol:.

Hope it sounds eeeeeeven better this time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17435531/PODX3TestKickEQedit1.mp3

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
that kick is definatly sick sounding now I love it now your guitars need a bit more sparkle to them, I find they don't stand out very much

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha. ONE THING AFTER ANOTHER, IS THAT RIGHT LARCHER? Hahaha. I will continue working on it, but let's say we made some progress today :agreed:. Thanks for your tips brah!

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Maybe cut some mids from the kick, I can hear everything that's happening with it, and maybe add some 5k+ and try and get it high end clicky, it's got a bit too much 1kish in there now, but get it clear too, I don't know how much you can change with Addictive, but the snare needs work, it sounds like it's a real kit, but muffled.

Loved the synth intro, but the guitars need to come up and gain some power, because the whole buildup was a little anticlimactic, but it would be fierce with a new guitar mix, what amp model and post-POD effects are you using?

Anyways, great sounding composition man, get to work on those little details and it'll be fierce! :metal:

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe cut some mids from the kick, I can hear everything that's happening with it, and maybe add some 5k+ and try and get it high end clicky, it's got a bit too much 1kish in there now, but get it clear too, I don't know how much you can change with Addictive, but the snare needs work, it sounds like it's a real kit, but muffled.

Loved the synth intro, but the guitars need to come up and gain some power, because the whole buildup was a little anticlimactic, but it would be fierce with a new guitar mix, what amp model and post-POD effects are you using?

Anyways, great sounding composition man, get to work on those little details and it'll be fierce! :metal:

Thanks for the suggestions man. I just want to be clear: are you saying the snare itself sounds muffled, or is it that the entire kit sounds muffled? I want to make sure I work on the right thing. To be honest, I think the whole kit sounds a bit muffled...I feel like something is eating up a lot of the overhead and not letting the kit shine (especially the cymbals).

I totally agree that the guitars need some specialness haha. They're bland. I used the L6 Big Bottom with the 4x12 '96 Brit Celestion V30s and the 421 Dynamic mic. I'm running the Screamer overdrive thing in front of the amp, and the Compressor and 4-band EQ behind the amp. I have been thinking about trying some impulses to see if I can get some new, interesting tones. Are there any impulses you might suggest, or some PODX3 options you might suggest?

Thanks again for the feedback man! I'll put your considerations to work. :hbang:

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Listening back it does sound a bit like the whole kit is muffled. I like that kick drum, but it feels like it's under a blanket or something.

For POD tone I just use a patch very similar to the Bulb preset in POD farm and then have a low pass getting rid of anything -100hz and a high pass on anything past 16k I think, and I have 2 EQ fx too, just to cut out some of the mud and add some of the sparkle.

If you need anything else just PM me. :cheers:

')