Funniest comedy films

• Thread starter patata
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
So I thought it would be fun to make a list list with comedies.

For me it's everything Seth Rogen has ever done.
Hangover I-III
Superbad

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mik3D23

things
Reaction score
Kung Pow, probably my favorite comedy ever. It's really stupid but it's funny, maybe I'm just childish at times :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
If Hangover 2-3 are your idea of the funniest movies ever, you really have a lot to look forward to if you continue to explore the genre!

Comedy is way more subjective than just about anything else. I laugh a lot at both some truly idiotic movies (Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore) and some "classics" (The Producers (1967), Blazing Saddles) but then none at all to a lot of more contemporary ones, like the aforementioned Hangovers 2/3 and "Due Date" and many of those things. I do like some of the truly bizarre ones, though, like "Don't Mess with the Zohan" and "Hot Rod." Superbad I also found completely hilarious when I saw it in the theater and only slightly less so when I rewatched it last year. "40 Year Old Virgin" was pretty good, I didn't like "Knocked Up" at all, I haven't even bothered with anything after "Funny People."

"Pee Wee's Big Adventure" is probably my favorite comedy, overall, but Pee Wee Herman is a very, VERY acquired taste. Most people I've shown it too HATED it.

Some kid's movies I find hilarious, like "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and "The Lego Movie." I guess it depends on my mood.

A lot of my favorite comedies aren't the same ones that make me laugh the most. I'm huge on semi-comedies like say, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" or "Her" or even "When Harry Met Sally" which contain a few big laughs but a lot of drama/pain.

Off the top of my head, movies that make me laugh the most, quality irrelevant:

The Producers (67 version)
The Naked Gun
Blazing Saddles
Silent Movie
Ghostbusters
Austin Powers 1
Billy Madison
Gremlins 2
Sixteen Candles
Happy Gilmore
Dumb and Dumber
Kingpin
There's Something About Mary
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Duck Soup
Dead Alive
OSS 117: Lost in Rio
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
National Lampoon's Vacation
Animal House

Drusas

exhibit-sbt
Reaction score
My tops are Army of Darkness, Blazing Saddles, History of the World, Big Trouble in Little China, Dead Alive, Monty Python Holy Grail, and Ghostbusters.

Not to say I don't enjoy many many others. Those just come to mind.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
I stand with Wankerness on that kind of comedy except I couldn't stand Superbad. Got some unexpectedly good laughs from watching A Touch Of Cloth (UK tv series), a similar style of comedy to Airplane, both of which I'll admit to have seen at least five times each.

But I would have to say that one of the best (not necessarily funniest) comedies has to be Some Like it Hot, just because it has so much going for it that you can watch it time and time again. Honourable mention to the old 'Monkey Business' and the Marx brothers' films at least for my early years. I'm a sucker for black and white.

wankerness

Reaction score
My tops are Army of Darkness, Big Trouble in Little China

Those are both good and amusing. I second those recs!

EDIT: I watched Kung Pow once in college, I only vaguely remember it, I think my reaction was I found all the old redubbed footage absolutely hilarious (BETTY is one of the funniest villains of all time) but groaned audibly through some of the "new" scenes like the CGI baby and cow. So yeah, it has a ton of really funny stuff in it. I should watch it again sometime.

Black Dynamite is another one that made me laugh a ton the first time.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
For a recent comedy, The Other Guys has to be one of my favorites.

Ghostbusters, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and Shaun of the Dead all rank pretty highly. So does I Love You, Man.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
This thread is an awesome idea! Unfortunately I've seen just about all of them. But there are a couple I'll have to check out!

A couple more...

Tommy Boy
Spaceballs

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

Office Space
Spaceballs
Ghostbusters
Trading Places
Hot Fuzz
This Is Spinal Tap
Monty Python & The Quest for the Holy Grail
Galaxy Quest
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (seriously)
Super Troopers
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Groundhog Day
Talladega Nights
The Blues Brothers
Tropic Thunder
Little Miss Sunshine (Oh God, the horn. :rofl:)
Airplane!
Best In Show
Stripes

TheDeathOfMusic

Reaction score
American Psycho
The Wolf of Wall Street
Superbad
Dr Strangelove
Anything by Monty Python
Spinal Tap
Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Great Dictator
Even Dwarfs Started Small

wankerness

Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

Office Space
Spaceballs
Trading Places
Hot Fuzz
This Is Spinal Tap
Galaxy Quest
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (seriously)
Super Troopers
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Groundhog Day
Talladega Nights
The Blues Brothers
Tropic Thunder
Little Miss Sunshine (Oh God, the horn. :rofl:)
Airplane!
Best In Show
Stripes

Good post, I forgot about but agree with all of these, besides Talladega Nights, I don't think I laughed once through that whole thing! Groundhog Day is one of my favorite comedies but I sorta put that in the category of stuff like "Say Anything" or "Eternal Sunshine" where I like it because it's more emotionally moving than funny. Same deal with Planes, Trains and Automobiles, kinda. It's got some big laughs but I think it works primarily as a drama.

NUCLEAR WESSELS!!! I love that movie so much. I can't believe revisionists have tried to paint it as the worst star trek movie. Then again, I can't stand the original series or half the movies so I'm probably exactly the sort of reason why Star Trek fans dislike it!

"The Slammin' Salmon" amused me quite a bit when I watched it, I thought it was a good return to form for the Super Trooper guys (I was not a fan of Beerfest or Club Dread at all).

I laughed a lot during "Cabin in the Woods" and "Freeway" but neither of those are exactly typical comedies.

wankerness

Reaction score
The Wolf of Wall Street
Dr Strangelove
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Great Dictator

I forgot about Chaplin, I think "Modern Times" is my favorite of the few I've seen.

On a (title) related note, I also thought "The Dictator" was pretty funny. And "Borat" made me laugh like a moron when I saw it in the theater.

Dr Strangelove amuses me some days and other days I don't find it funny at all. I guess that's par for the course with a very dark satire.

Wolf of Wall Street's first 2/3 are utterly hilarious, I agree with that one too.

I need to rewatch Fear and Loathing, I remember finding it funny but don't really remember anything about it.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Kung Pow, probably my favorite comedy ever. It's really stupid but it's funny, maybe I'm just childish at times :lol:

When I saw this thread, I came in here to say Kung Pow, but you beat me to it man. Awesome movie. Me and my wife (girlfriend at the time) almost pissed our pants together watching this for the first time. That's true love.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
CB4

It isn't really a comedy, but there is some really funny stuff in Full Metal Jacket.

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
I'm more inclined to the party gone wrong/pothead main character comedies.
The scene from superbad,the ''prepare to be fvkced by the long dick of the law'' was freaking hilarious.

Can anyone suggest more like this? Party gone wrong/pothead main character

')