Future of heavy music

• Thread starter linchpin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
I agree that we will probably see something like the end of the 80s. Speed metal and such took the back seat to the simplicity of the Grunge movement. The ground that is being stepped on is by no means new, or original, just a refocus of influence, as gradual increase in technicality, and then a peak. The difference was in the 80s, the technicality made fair sized waves, where now it is a artifact, so small as to not really make a splash.

This is what I love about this forum: "This band that I like that doesn't seem to exist outside this forum, or niche metal focused communities, should be so much bigger than they are." So much of what is listened to here (an audience which I do not include myself :lol:), is completely unknown in the outside world, but that doesn't warrant an entitlement to greater fame, but instead puts things into a proper perspective. People aren't interesting.

After the Burial was on Warped Tour so this is a bad example actually.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
Popular metal will continue to get more and more complex, then finally when it has reached a point to where people get tired of listening to it, it will become simpler.

You're probably right, but I fear that point will come far too soon. There's so much potential in complex metal, and as of yet no one has really explored the depths of that complexity. Bands like Meshuggah scratch the surface, but there's so much they haven't done. I'd love to see just complex metal can be, but I doubt we'll ever truly find out.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
My feeling is the young people of this time are more interested in staying in playing Call of Duty to bother travelling to shows. :noplease:

IMO this is one of the stupidest things that I keep on seeing used as a reason.

If they take that route, then they obviously aren't into music as much as us. So they won't go to a concert because they just aren't into it enough to go. I don't get why its such a bad thing if they are more interested in COD than going to a concert when they aren't that into music.

celticelk

Reaction score
Personally, I don't see the future of metal residing in extreme bands (technical or otherwise), especially if we're talking about a more mainstream future for metal. I think that what's happening in metal now is not too different from the postwar period in jazz, when bebop became the default "jazz" mode: the mainstream audiences, who had been way into swing, turned away from jazz as a "popular" music. Something similar seems to have happened with the rise of extreme metal as the standard-bearers of the last decade: the audiences who found thrash and nu-metal appealing have largely turned away from metal, leaving it as a form for musicians and aficionados. Jazz regained some ground when it got more soulful in the late 50s and early 60s, and I see the current rise of bands like Pallbearer and Royal Thunder, and the move towards 70s sounds by Opeth (as an example), as a parallel phenomenon. (A writer on Invisible Oranges recently referred to doom as "the soul music of metal," which I think is spot on.)

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
I think the creativity of Between the Buried and Me will always be admired.
Opeth and Meshuggah of course.
I agree that Mastodon can be thrown in there.
Also, I can see the guys in bands like Protest the Hero, The Contortionist, and Animals as Leaders being recognized in the future. (imo)

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
This is what I love about this forum: "This band that I like that doesn't seem to exist outside this forum, or niche metal focused communities, should be so much bigger than they are." So much of what is listened to here (an audience which I do not include myself :lol:), is completely unknown in the outside world, but that doesn't warrant an entitlement to greater fame, but instead puts things into a proper perspective. People aren't interesting.

I don't think they deserve to be bigger because they're better than others. Believe me, there are bands I prefer much more to ATB, but they've been around for years, and toured relentlessly at points. I also think there are bits of their music which genuinely would make a splash in modern metal, if they were given a chance.

I also excluse myself from a lot of those niche metal bands fans, because I'm a fan of much more than just small technical bands. So cheers for the generalisation,and I hope this clears that up.

Dan

Reaction score
:2c: But I believe a lot of you are looking at it from a very niche perspective. The bands that a lot of you have mentioned are popular, but aren't exactly mainstream.

Over the course of the next few years bands such as Slipknot/Avenged Sevenfold/Bullet for my Valentine/Machine Head will take those headline spots. IMHO Mastadon or Opeth as much as I love them could never headline a festival like Download simply because they don't have the fan base and they aren't generic enough. The masses don't like prog because you have to think about it. This is why pop(ular) music is just that, its easy on the ears and on the mind.

I agree that tech music will eventually fizzle out much in the same way Nu Metal/Grunge etc. did a few years ago. But I don’t think we will necessarily go back to something a lot simpler. I think the next stage in the evolution of metal will be fusing with more ethnic sounds and microtonal scales. There’s a huge increase now in the amount of Asian and African metalheads due to the expansion of the internet and I believe that the next wave of music will incorporate this in some way, shape or form.

I personally hope this influx in technical playing leads to people thinking more about composition and alternate styles of music. I’m probably being optimistic as much the same way a lot of the Nu Metal fanboys of the 00’s still haven’t got tired of listening to System of a Down and class Slipknot as the greatest band ever :lol: I’d imagine a lot of these 14-15 year old kids will do the same with Periphery/Meshuggah/Animals as Leaders over the next few years, but i don't see them becoming festival headliners because they aren't "easy" to listen to.

That’s just how I see it from a logical perspective anyway. I’ve seen trends come and go and for me, ethnic sounds is the next stage in the metal evolution.

protest

Reaction score
I think you can look at this from a couple different perspectives. The first one is who will be the giant bands that headline festivals, and have some sort of mainstream appeal to them. I think that is probably for Slipknot, Tool, and SOAD, if they keep making records. It would have been Pantera already, but... well... yea.....Also I think a band like Dream Theater can be thrown in there as well because they do have a large, avid fanbase.

As far as bands that metal fans consider to be classic, I'd say Opeth, Meshuggah, Dillinger, maybe BTBAM, and I'm sure there's a few others. They'll be the guys on the main stage at those huge shows that everyone will say they're going to see. "I'm only goin to Knotfest cause Opeth and Meshuggah are playin" lol.

I also think that a band that might find its way to the mainstream soon is Protest the Hero. They aren't really that heavy, they're funny dudes, and if they write a song on they're next album that isn't 5 minutes of sweeps, and taps (which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing) I think they might be able to get some airplay. Plus their videos are gold.

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Nine Inch Nails - without doubt will become regarded as a modern classic.

morrowcosom

Reaction score
After Koloss, I honestly believe that Meshuggah does not have much left in the tank. They showed that they are tired of playing the robotic tech metal that they are good at, and Koloss, IMO was boring and bland as crap. I have no idea where they can go.

Something in me predicts a big mainstream hair band revival. There are hair bands popping up underground all over the place and the music is catchy and has a lot of marketability because it is all about sex and outlandish fashion.

Sex on mainstream radio is bigger than ever.

Colin_EDP

Reaction score
Safe to say some of the younger generation most of them not even well know, are coming to breathe new life in the generic metal we have out now adays.

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
After Koloss, I honestly believe that Meshuggah does not have much left in the tank. They showed that they are tired of playing the robotic tech metal that they are good at, and Koloss, IMO was boring and bland as crap. I have no idea where they can go.

Something in me predicts a big mainstream hair band revival. There are hair bands popping up underground all over the place and the music is catchy and has a lot of marketability because it is all about sex and outlandish fashion.

Sex on mainstream radio is bigger than ever.

I definitely don't think Meshuggah has nothing left, they're just refining their sound. I thought Koloss was great, but it took a while to warm up to it.

And mainstream radio has mainstream radio to turn to when it needs a fresh does of sex, the era of hair metal is long gone ;)

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
Eurgh don't say that man, there are far too many post-metal bands as it is :p

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Despite having been around for a while, it's still relatively undeveloped. There is a vast scope of what could be done with Post-Metal and I think we'll see that explored.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I don't see current bands gaining the iconic mainstream status of Metallica or Slayer in a long time. Mainly because production is now so plentiful the audience is more divided than before. And I'll say that growling bands are out, by default. It also heavily depends on countries, heavy metal is still huge in germany and non existent in France.
Those iconic bands (Metallica etc) can have a good 15+ years of touring lifespan left, so we're not there yet. Ozzy is still there after all.
I do think however that to appeal to the masses you must be reasonably close to standard tuning. Dropped Z guitars won't be mainstream for a looooong time. The public just isn't used to it.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Once Djent dies down I think we'll see a big wave of Post-Metal bands.

Brooooooooo

That would be beyond cool. Get some bands that can write a hook, and build an atmosphere like The Ocean, and I will be happy forever.

')