FX EdgeIII-8 saddle problems

• Thread starter Aewrik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aewrik

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm usually just lurking here, but I haven't found a proper solution to my problem (I must admit, I've only searched the ERG section), but I'll keep it short:

My RG2228A has some serious resonance problems with the bridge. It presents itself in two ways:

1. It produces a harmonic resonance whenever I play an A or D note, (and the resonating tone is an A)
2. The saddles "rattle" and distort the sound of specific notes. The third and fifth saddles are the worst, basically killing any harmonics I play and making even new strings sound quite dead.

The second problem goes away if I press my finger down on the saddle, so it probably doesn't connect fully with the bridge (if you tap the saddle, it clicks loudly in the joint). Having the fine tuner in either end does not resolve the issue, but pressing the saddle down manually, does.

The first problem, however, I can't resolve no matter what I do. I've tried cotton pads in the routing cavities and under the bridge, but it makes no difference. The resonance is not produced by the pickups, since the sound is clearly audible without amplification. Are there any other resonating cavities in the RG2228?

Is there a proper fix for these problems? Cotton under the saddles will solve the second problem (although at what cost in sustain, I do not know), but how do I fix the first?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Diggi

Reaction score
I had the same problem, and noticed that the fine tuners were somewhat loose on occasion. Tighten them down a bit and see if this has any positive effect on the problem.

Aewrik

Reaction score
I had the same problem, and noticed that the fine tuners were somewhat loose on occasion. Tighten them down a bit and see if this has any positive effect on the problem.

I've tried that : \

I thought I'd post a video so you can hear the difference. I know the strings aren't pulling the saddles in the clip, but they're still really loose. Could it be sub-par manufacturing/assembly?

On the bridge part you can definitely hear a difference between the third and fourth saddle, even though they're positioned within a millimeter of each other.

The single saddle part is kind of sloppy, but it's supposed to illustrate that they can be wiggled sideways quite alot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOO2yFirF6k

Given To Fly

Reaction score
The open D string on my RG2228 turns into an A harmonic as the string dies. Is that what is happening with your D string? I think its just a natural overtone coming out after the fundamental pitch dies down. I don't think its connected with your rattling bridge; its just the harmonic series at work! :)

Aewrik

Reaction score
The open D string on my RG2228 turns into an A harmonic as the string dies. Is that what is happening with your D string? I think its just a natural overtone coming out after the fundamental pitch dies down. I don't think its connected with your rattling bridge; its just the harmonic series at work! :)

Yeah, that's exactly it. It carries with the same tone on other strings though, but perhaps that's just a "feature" that comes with the bridge. I don't have that problem with my lo-pro edge bridge, but I guess it has to do with size.

I've restringed the guitar, and uploaded a new clip.

It sound like regular string buzz at first, but I've raised the string height (1st and 8th @ 12th fret) to 3mm just to be sure. The neck is as straight as it gets. The bridge profile is "parallel" to the body, as intended.
The 5th string demonstration didn't capture very well, but if you listen closely, you can hear the buzz from the increased pull, when I bend the string.

Ooh nice, this one got embedded!

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
My RGA8 does the same thing, interested to hear if anyone knows if there's a way to fix it.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I think it is a "perfect storm" of variables: the string length, gauge, tension, and that frequency area cause it to happen. It happens on one of my classical guitars too. If someone has nothing to do and wants to experiment, try putting a non wound string in the D slot and tune it to G or A. If it still happens then everything I just wrote is completely untrue.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I have found a solution for the rattling saddles. I was dealing with the same issue on my RGA8 and just shoved a very thin piece of plastic laminate between the rattling saddle and the next one. It's really almost paper thin, but still thick enough to not fall out. Prefectly solved that.

Aewrik

Reaction score
shitsøn;3253598 said:
I have found a solution for the rattling saddles. I was dealing with the same issue on my RGA8 and just shoved a very thin piece of plastic laminate between the rattling saddle and the next one. It's really almost paper thin, but still thick enough to not fall out. Prefectly solved that.

That's good news! With an impact absorbing material, there might be an effect on the sustain, but a transparent paper should do the trick then!

I'll return with results tomorrow, so we have an official solution to this specific issue.

Aewrik

Reaction score
It didn't work, and it actually made the resonance stronger o_O

Could it be that the truss rod is loose somehow? It's a far fetch, but there's nothing in the routing holes, and the pickups are solid (and no hidden screws forgotten underneath). I've disassembled an reassembled the bridge again and I can't find anything loose on it, except the saddles (which of course weren't moving when I wedged plastic between them).

The rattle is also more prominent on an open string; could it be that the strings just carry the rattle to the saddles, and it originates someplace else (that's why I wonder if it's the truss rod)? There's no difference with the nut locks tightened or loose, and the tuners aren't loose without a string attached, so there's nothing there either.

I don't get it, it's pretty simple hardware, but somehow still so hard to figure out what's causing the noise.

Aewrik

Reaction score
Okay!

One problem solved, and a new problem emerges. The open string buzz was apparently not caused by the saddles (which I fixed by spacing them evenly apart, btw).

Any tips on how I can solve this? Epoxy Glue and file?

What I'm doing in the vid, is pressing the 4th and 5th strings against the nut, which kills the buzz probably caused because the strings aren't leaving the nut at the end, but rather right after the locking clips. Any advice appreciated.

Edit: So the problems with sustain is now solved, except on open notes. Make sure there's some space between each saddle, and you should be able to avoid unwanted buzz. I don't think the topic needs to be changed, since the locking nut is a part of the bridge system, in a way.

Edit 2: I've also lowered the action to Ibanez' recommended heights of 1.6mm at the 1st string, and 2.6mm at the 8th string, so it's not the 3mm action causing the problems : \

Given To Fly

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to take it to a luthier or guitar tech. It sounds like the neck needs adjusting or the nut is filed wrong. You seem to have thoroughly gone through everything so maybe a new and different perspective from someone else will would help.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I've had similar issues on my 6 string RG's Edge III trem actually. I just kept carefully adjusting stuff until it died out.

The effect you show in the video, where the sound goes away when you push it with your finger, is very revealing. The saddle is rubbing up against something somehow. Try tightening the saddle screw and stuff like that.

Aewrik

Reaction score
Update!

OK, so the second issue (the saddle-rattling) was caused by some sort of spacing issue between the saddle locks.

The third issue (the buzz at the first fret) came from using thicker strings than the nut was filed for, so the strings were just the distance from the bottom of the "string guide" (whatever it's called) to strike against it when it was vibrating. Very annoying, since I haven't decided on the final gauges for my guitar (I confirmed by trying a thinner gauge), but I can live with it, knowing it'll disappear once I have found my Ideal Gauge (TM) and have filed the nut for it to fit in.

I can also mention the first issue I mentioned in the first post: I still haven't found a way of getting rid of it "mechanically", and I've tried about everything. An aggressive noise gate is the only thing that helps, and that's not exactly a perfect solution for hard pickers : \

')