FX loop questions (digital vs analog pedals in serial vs parallel loop)

• Thread starter DragonGuitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
So, most people run modulation or time effects such as delay or phaser through the FX loop in their amp rather than in front, to avoid the effect from going haywire when you switch channels (unless you don't use OD from the amp, but only from a pedal). I know what the difference between parallel and series FX loops are, but I have heard that parallel FX loops sometimes have problems with digital effects, especially modulation effects, because the dry signal is not delayed like the wet, and when they are mixed it just sounds terrible. But some people say that modulation sounds better with parallel. Does that make digital modulation and parallel loops mutually exclusive?

For example, say I'm using a digital delay or chorus. I don't want to run it in front of the amp since I need to use the amps gain. But I shouldn't run it in a parallel loop for the reasons stated above. So a serial loop or an analog delay would be my best options? Do time effects still sound good with a serial loop?

Other people say that parallel loops have trouble processing effects in general since the signal levels are sometimes out of sync, which cant always be fixed except by modding to a serial. So is there really any advantage to having a parallel loop? I have heard its an easy mod to switch over. Do series FX loops have trouble processing any types of signals? Tell me what you guys think.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibycan7

Reaction score
Great questions. first I need to say that I have a Mesa Dual rec which has a parallel loop, and I run effects on both in front and on the effect loop so I have first hand experience.

Does that make digital modulation and parallel loops mutually exclusive?
Not necessary, it really depends on the pedal. yes you could have sync issues between the dry signal and the wet signal, which most of the people refer when having issues with parallel loops. the issue is that most pedal like delays, etc, send both the dry and the wet signal equally so the signal is "delayed" inside the pedal so they come out at the same time. so a pedal like this, thru a parallel loop would be sending the combined signal, and then the dry signal of the amp thru the loop, that's why you could have issues. the solution: get a pedal that has the Kill dry option, so only the wet signal comes out the pedal. you see this often on digital pedals, but there could be pedals that have this feature. an old buddy of mine bought a used Carbon Copy from GC, and it had a weird switch on it, we didn't know what it was, until we found out that it was a kill dry switch...how and who didn't we don't know, but it is possible.

So a serial loop or an analog delay would be my best options? Do time effects still sound good with a serial loop?
It depends on what you have already, if you already have an amp that you like I would just work with the loop it has by buying the appropriate pedals to make it work. YES, they sound just fine but it requires that you set the pedal so you still can hear the dry signal and doesn't get washed away. that's what I tend to do anyways.

So is there really any advantage to having a parallel loop? I have heard its an easy mod to switch over.
The advantage for me is that it allows me to keep the original signal strong, which it really important when playing with high gain. it doesn't get washed away or a big mess. you can hear the notes i'm playing as well as the effect in the background.

Do series FX loops have trouble processing any types of signals?
Not in my experience as long as you use your ear and what it sounds good to you. some people prefer the effects to really affect their sound vs ambient type stuff. it is all up to you.

I'm a TC electronic user, both of the pedal that I use in my loop have the kill dry on. Delay (flashback X4) and Chorus (Corona)

as a side note, I like using phasers in the front, but that's just me.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Great questions. first I need to say that I have a Mesa Dual rec which has a parallel loop, and I run effects on both in front and on the effect loop so I have first hand experience.

Does that make digital modulation and parallel loops mutually exclusive?
Not necessary, it really depends on the pedal. yes you could have sync issues between the dry signal and the wet signal, which most of the people refer when having issues with parallel loops. the issue is that most pedal like delays, etc, send both the dry and the wet signal equally so the signal is "delayed" inside the pedal so they come out at the same time. so a pedal like this, thru a parallel loop would be sending the combined signal, and then the dry signal of the amp thru the loop, that's why you could have issues. the solution: get a pedal that has the Kill dry option, so only the wet signal comes out the pedal. you see this often on digital pedals, but there could be pedals that have this feature. an old buddy of mine bought a used Carbon Copy from GC, and it had a weird switch on it, we didn't know what it was, until we found out that it was a kill dry switch...how and who didn't we don't know, but it is possible.

So a serial loop or an analog delay would be my best options? Do time effects still sound good with a serial loop?
It depends on what you have already, if you already have an amp that you like I would just work with the loop it has by buying the appropriate pedals to make it work. YES, they sound just fine but it requires that you set the pedal so you still can hear the dry signal and doesn't get washed away. that's what I tend to do anyways.

So is there really any advantage to having a parallel loop? I have heard its an easy mod to switch over.
The advantage for me is that it allows me to keep the original signal strong, which it really important when playing with high gain. it doesn't get washed away or a big mess. you can hear the notes i'm playing as well as the effect in the background.

Do series FX loops have trouble processing any types of signals?
Not in my experience as long as you use your ear and what it sounds good to you. some people prefer the effects to really affect their sound vs ambient type stuff. it is all up to you.

I'm a TC electronic user, both of the pedal that I use in my loop have the kill dry on. Delay (flashback X4) and Chorus (Corona)

as a side note, I like using phasers in the front, but that's just me.

Thanks! The amp I will most likely be using is a Mesa Rectoverb 50, and I have considered both the flashback and corona (although lately I've been looking at the dreamscape which is basically a corona + flanger and vibrato, and I believe it does have a kill dry), so my set up would actually be pretty similar to yours. If you don't have any problems, I probably won't. But if you are killing the dry signal, is the result really any different than just running it series?

Ibycan7

Reaction score
I can tell the difference as far as I don't have to adjust the pedal in order to make sure my dry signal is there (i adjust the level in the back of the amp) as far as sound, to me the parallel loop makes your high gain present tight. but again, to me this is one of those things that you may be able to hear and tell, but your audience won't. in my experience. i'm sure some would disagree.

')