G tuning on a 7-string Tuning question

• Thread starter DeadSuspect
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
EXL115 and NW070 are the part numbers I suggested. However, you may wish to look on their site and step up the 6 string set one gauge. I'm in drop G# and these strings are great - if you like tighter strings you may want a bit more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trez

Reaction score
I have a last question.
My Schester had a thru-body bridge so is it possible that the 70 string is too fat for the hole?

(sorry for my "random" english)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Nah, those holes are huge. What is a possibility is that it will be too large for the tuning peg. This is a fairly common issue and is easily solved with a needle file, a drill, the likes. If it's only very slightly small - you can even put another string through there (like your current low string) and run it back and forth, filing the hole with the string. I wouldn't worry about it :yesway:

fuzzboy

Reaction score
Nah, those holes are huge. What is a possibility is that it will be too large for the tuning peg. This is a fairly common issue and is easily solved with a needle file, a drill, the likes. If it's only very slightly small - you can even put another string through there (like your current low string) and run it back and forth, filing the hole with the string. I wouldn't worry about it :yesway:

I'm not liking this idea too much. What I do is unwind about a half inch of the string and fit that through the peg, that way there's no permanent mods done to your guitar.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score

i use 65 for standard but i actually use to use a 70 when i played in ADGCFAD and yes, you do have to drill the tuning peg hole a little larger as well as file the nut quite a bit so it can fit

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm not liking this idea too much. What I do is unwind about a half inch of the string and fit that through the peg, that way there's no permanent mods done to your guitar.

That's fine :yesway: I'd just find it a bit much effort to do that each time, when a slight filing will be convinient and totally invisible.

i use 65 for standard but i actually use to use a 70 when i played in ADGCFAD and yes, you do have to drill the tuning peg hole a little larger as well as file the nut quite a bit so it can fit

I guess it depends on the guitar. Ibanez pegs seem quite a bit larger - I only had to wriggle the string around a bit to fit a 70 in there (68 was fine).

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Personally, I'd just go out and order a gauge 70 or even 80. You "could" use a bass string, but the bad thing is that bass strings are wound a bit differently. I wanted to do the same thing. I suggest you get a heavy set like 12-60+70 or 80. The tighter tension, the more you'll get out of this tuning.:):hbang:
Elixir nanoweb bass strings are made the same way as the nanoweb guitar strings. But you're right that the larger bass strings from most companies don't sound too great on guitar. I found 85 to be perfect for G.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
A 70 for B standard on a baritone would be ridiculous, are you sure you don't mean for the low G string?
He means for the lowest G string.
But Jeff Loomis did use an 80 tuned to Bb on a 26.5" scale at one point. He recorded EOR this way.

TheHalfmen

Reaction score
Why dont you tune down a little more and just use a 6 string bass :p

... but about the string gauge what should be used ect it comes down to preference (to an extent)

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
Im tuning retarded, what would standard tuning in G on a seven string be?

')