G tuning on a 7-string Tuning question

• Thread starter DeadSuspect
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeadSuspect

Reaction score
Hey guys How's it going?

So I need your help on this one.
So here's the thing:

I have a 7-string Harley Benton (extremely cheap, all that I could afford) and although it was very cheap I kind of love the sound and it's really comfortable (it looks like an RG to be honest) and I have it tuned in:

B E A D G B E

Which is the standard tuning for the 7-string (I guess), so anyways... So since I compose some stuff to help my guitar player (since I'm drummer) I thought that I should try and give it a different tuning approach since my guitar player plays on a 6-string and has it tuned in this dropped approach:

B F B E G C

So I was thinking if I could take this tuning to my guitar but in this way:

G B F B E G C

That way I could compose some stuff this with the 6-string approach on the six strings and tune the 7th string to G. I believe that's how the guys from Reign The Absolute have their guitar tuned on "what makes this flower grow".

And since I'm going to try this tuning on my 7-string I wanted to ask you guys if it is possible to use a bass guitar string to "emulate" the sound of a G string? should I do something else?

So I hope to hear from you guys soon ;)
Thank you for your patience

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Well Meshuggah use a bass string for the F so I don't see why not.

awesomeaustin

hates neck pickups.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats a really weird tuning for the 6. its like a mix between drop B and drop B flat. Drop B would be B F# B E G# C#, and drop Bb would be Bb F Bb Eb G C

cob

Metalest man alive
Reaction score
yeah that is an awkward tuning, open strings are now creating tritones and there's like... a third then a 4th... I'm not sure what to tell you about that tuning but yea, bass strings can emulate. Why dont you just tell him to tune to b standard like a 7 string without the high e? =D

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
yeah that is an awkward tuning, open strings are now creating tritones and there's like... a third then a 4th... I'm not sure what to tell you about that tuning but yea, bass strings can emulate. Why dont you just tell him to tune to b standard like a 7 string without the high e? =D

:agreed:

_-77aurious77-_

_-77aurious77-_
Reaction score
Personally, I'd just go out and order a gauge 70 or even 80. You "could" use a bass string, but the bad thing is that bass strings are wound a bit differently. I wanted to do the same thing. I suggest you get a heavy set like 12-60+70 or 80. The tighter tension, the more you'll get out of this tuning.:):hbang:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
pretty sure he meant a regular drop B tuning, and just forgot the sharp/flat symbols, guys.

i´m thinking about how the tuning would relate to him though, like if you compose something with it, what does he do with that afterwards? he doesn´t have that string, ya know?

hide

Psyche scarring
Reaction score
Tension wise, I tune to drop c + g and with a 70 gauge the seventh string stays relatively tight. Definition isn't great though. Did you consider the user of a higher 7th string?

James Blood

Reaction score
My sevenstring dropped tuning is (dropped C):
GCGCFAD.
It's quite cool, you get two times an octave in the same fret (1st and 3rd string; 2nd and 4th string). Pretty easy to convert songs to this tuning, coming from a dropped tuning.

In dropped D it would be: ADADGHE

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
i know you are tring to keep the "six string standard" approach but.. I just had to say i love G D G C F A D its really heavy...
I just got a baritone 7 to make this tuning easier to play...
im also starting with .o70 on the low b string... which will be added string tension..

Spondus

Reaction score
i know you are tring to keep the "six string standard" approach but.. I just had to say i love G D G C F A D its really heavy...
I just got a baritone 7 to make this tuning easier to play...
im also starting with .o70 on the low b string... which will be added string tension..

A 70 for B standard on a baritone would be ridiculous, are you sure you don't mean for the low G string?

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
A 70 for B standard on a baritone would be ridiculous, are you sure you don't mean for the low G string?

the thickest string on a seven is commonly called the low b..... this is what i mean.... .o70 on the thickest string.... Tuned in drop G..... gdgcfad:yesway:

Trez

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm looking for a strings set to tune my Schecter Damien 7 in Drop G (G-D-G-C-F-A-D).
Do you have some advices to help me?
That will be really nice.

Thanks,
Julien.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm looking for a strings set to tune my Schecter Damien 7 in Drop G (G-D-G-C-F-A-D).
Do you have some advices to help me?
That will be really nice.

Thanks,
Julien.

D'addario 11-49 6 string set and a 70 for the low G :yesway:

')