G3 Boston Picstory! [56k, Take a nap. (80+ pics)]

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
My friend and I had planned on seeing this Friday...plans fell through though. :(

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So, did Paul's tone pwn? :lol:

No, I'll have to confer with Chris and Steve before speaking for the three of us for sure, but my recollection was that his tone was our least favorite of the three. JP was maybe a little bright, and I think he could have probably dropped down the delay a bit, but overall was still getting a great guitar sound (his seven string rhythm tone flat-out-ruled), and Satriani sounded the best I've ever heard him.

Gilbert's singlecoil tone with the volume back a little bit was great, but I thought he didn't have the definition of either Satriani or Petrucci. :shrug: I'm not going to write off Laneys across the board based on listening to him, because I still want to try to tweak one myself and see where I end up, but his sound had sort of that overly middy "grey" sort of (for lack of a better word) Marshall sound, sort of what Vai tries to dial up, or alternately sort of an update on Clapton's "woman tone," that I've never liked.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, different stokes for different folks, I hate Pet's recent tone though(which I might be the only person on this forum who does:ugh: ). :lol:

I mainly asked because money's too tight to go to this when it stomps through, and Paul's always been a fav of mine.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ah, different stokes for different folks

Definitely. His tone wasn't "bad" by any means, just not really to my personal tastes. His clean, however, was great.

Satriani was the real dark horse of the night, though - I don't know if he's stopped using JSX's, or just finally gotten the hang (??!!) of tweaking it, because it's the best I've heard him sound since his Marshall 6100 days.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Aye, Paul's tone was a bit brittle. I'm sure Petrucci's tone was good somewhere under the Wall O' Treble. :(

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On the date we saw I think Petrucci had overall better tone, but the damned sound guy kept raising the volume so by the last two songs in the set either my ears were going or the sound system was distorting :rant: Then again we were orchestra left about 5' from the speaker tower (and the edge of the stage). Interestingly enough we didn't have the treble problems you guys mentioned.

Gilbert and Satriani both sounded great as well though Gilbert did have some equipment problems towards the end of his set and ended up on a funky sunburst V instead of his usual sig model.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
On the date we saw I think Petrucci had overall better tone, but the damned sound guy kept raising the volume so by the last two songs in the set either my ears were going or the sound system was distorting :rant: Then again we were orchestra left about 5' from the speaker tower (and the edge of the stage). Interestingly enough we didn't have the treble problems you guys mentioned.

Yeah, that was my thing with Petrucci - I didn't really agree with Chris and Steve that JP's problem was too much treble. Rather, he was overpoweringly fuckin' LOUD, to the point where it was kind of painful to be in the audience for extended periods of time. I think the sheer volume of it might have had the effect of making the treble painful for Chris and Steve, but my take was his tone was perfectly fine, just about 30 decibels louder than it neede to be.

When you're drowning out Mike Portnoy, you know you have problems. :lol:

')