Galder leaves Dimmu Borgir

• Thread starter ezboarderz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeyonThe7thSeal

Reaction score
Dimmu's setlist at Tuska this summer was pretty much a best of compilation, but unfortunately all the energy was missing. So hopefully Uncle Fester leaving will be a kick in the nuts for them and they'll come back with new energy (also I'm secretly hoping they'll get Astennu back on guitars). But most likely they'll just get yet another session guy and get even more lazy. I'll be seeing them live next summer again at Wacken, so we'll see if there's any difference...

So yeah, I'm also looking forward to some new OMC rather than new Dimmu.
It would be great if they brought Astennu back and did some sort of Godless Savage Garden shows or something but I’m fairly certain, actually almost 100% positive they’d use a live session guitarist. More money for Shagrath and Silenoz. He will likely have to be living in Norway though. Don’t want another Nick Barker situation.
I digress, this is not cool news as I’ve felt Galder was the real riff guy in the group.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think Dimmu Borgir peaked with the Death Cult Armageddon album, which is my favorite album of theirs and my favorite black metal album in general (so far).
They lost me with Abrahadabra. That album just doesn't do it for me. I think Dimmu did the same thing as Nightwish, and started making more symphonic/keys/synthesizer driven music, instead of guitar driven music.

Bring back the riffs!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I think Dimmu Borgir peaked with the Death Cult Armageddon album, which is my favorite album of theirs and my favorite black metal album in general (so far).
They lost me with Abrahadabra. That album just doesn't do it for me. I think Dimmu did the same thing as Nightwish, and started making more symphonic/keys/synthesizer driven music, instead of guitar driven music.

Bring back the riffs!

That's funny, I agree that DCA is their peak, I thought the one after (In Sorte Diaboli?) was just OK but Abradahabra was more interesting to me, although I've fallen off again and have no idea what they've done since

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
That's funny, I agree that DCA is their peak, I thought the one after (In Sorte Diaboli?) was just OK but Abradahabra was more interesting to me, although I've fallen off again and have no idea what they've done since

For me, In Sorte Diaboli started very strong - the opening track The Serpentine Offering is one of my favorite tracks of theirs, but I never really got into the rest. And the rest of their albums just feel tired. Hard to say when they peaked for me though, I love everything they did between Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Deathcult Armageddon.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Galder and Raul Julia in the same room?

I didn't think so. Coincidence?
Screenshot_20240823_105629_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240826_150752_DuckDuckGo.jpg

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Abrahadabra is not a bad album, it just doesn't have that thing that I loved from the previous releases, and I guess that thing is interesting guitar work?
For me, In Sorte Diaboli started very strong - the opening track The Serpentine Offering is one of my favorite tracks of theirs, but I never really got into the rest. And the rest of their albums just feel tired. Hard to say when they peaked for me though, I love everything they did between Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Deathcult Armageddon.
Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, Death Cult Armageddon and In Sorte Diaboli is my go-to Dimmu Borgir stuff. I recently aquired those 4 albums on vinyl because I love them so much.
I do agree with you on In Sorte Diaboli though. It's my least favorite of the 4 mentioned, but there still is some interesting moments on that album.

')