Game of Thrones

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
They couldn't possibly do any worse than the series pilot that was made a few years ago. It was truly something special (which, granted, is practically guaranteed to happen when you cast Billy Zane). :lol:

Special is definitely a word for it...

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
They couldn't possibly do any worse than the series pilot that was made a few years ago. It was truly something special (which, granted, is practically guaranteed to happen when you cast Billy Zane). :lol:

Wait, are you talking about that Amazon series set in Belize?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Telecasters and House Stark. Two of my favorite things. I wish I could afford to shell out the insane price for that axe. :lol:

They should've gone the mass produced route since showrunner Dan Weiss mentioned it in the video when they were initially discussing the concept.

It'd be super easy to do too, all you need is some vaguely Celtic/Norse style binding around the edge, distressed hardware, house banner as 12th fret inlay, and you're done; sell em at $2K MAP and watch the money come in.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
There's no way Jaime survives Season 8 Episode 3. Calling it now.

If he stays to the back giving field advice to Brienne, I think he will, but with a sword - and I've yet to understand why he doesn't have some sort of blade prosthetic made? - it's dicey.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I want to knw which one/s will become WW's. EDIT: I mean now that they've closed the circle on all these major players with buried hatchets and heartfelt reunions and all that. Some will be slayed, a few got to be turned into WW's IMO.

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If he stays to the back giving field advice to Brienne, I think he will, but with a sword - and I've yet to understand why he doesn't have some sort of blade prosthetic made? - it's dicey.
more just that his transformation into a fundamentally, even exceptionally, decent character is complete. A detail the show skipped that the books didn't (where this clearly hasn't happened) - in Westeros it's considered an honor to have been knighted by a particularly famous or illustrious night, and Jaime was knighted by Ser Barristan Selmy, Barrister the Bold, commander of the Kingsguard, about the highest honor a knight could have. Yet, it's quiet gossip in the books that Jaime himself has never knighted anyone. So, when Jaime knights Ser Brienne of Tarth, that's the first time he's ever knighted anyone. Jaime is a controversial figure, but his reputation as one of the most dangerous swordsmen in the Seven Kingdoms was never questioned, and for Brienne to be the first - and, likely, only - knight he raises is significant.

wankerness

Reaction score
That episode was really frustrating for me. It was just "everyone gets a fanservice moment before the big battle," but they were all flatly written, many were rushed through, some were crappily written and some were crappily acted. Like, that scene with Davos, or everything with Jora (who I usually like), or the terrible discussion with Arya/Gendry where she's asking him how many women he's slept with, or Emilia Clarke's inability to do more facial expressions other than "REALLY big grin with squinted eyes that looks fake" or "take me seriously please, I'm stern!!!" in her couple of scenes. I liked the Sansa/her scene in theory but she kinda f'd it up. The knighting Brienne thing also was really on the nose, but whatever, that one was acted well at least. That whole fireplace scene made the episode worth it. Theon/Sansa was good, as was pretty much everything with Jaime through the first half.

Also, I was watching it with a friend who was getting progressively more upset and asked me to check how much time was remaining (I was streaming it) a couple times cause he was desperate to see some battle action before the end. So, that probably colored things. :p

Spoiler for one line in the preview for next episode:

That "the dead are already here!!!" line from Dany in the preview might be referring to the crypts, where they're hiding all the people who can't fight? I saw some discussions about that. I say probably not, cause isn't everyone there just a skeleton at this point? It would be exciting, though.

A lot of people are also speculating they'll pretty much just get a tiny army thrown at them by the NK while he takes the vast majority of his forces to King's Landing, and then THAT will be the really big battle going forward. Who knows? I'm looking forward to next week, that's for sure.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That "the dead are already here!!!" line from Dany in the preview might be referring to the crypts, where they're hiding all the people who can't fight? I saw some discussions about that. I say probably not, cause isn't everyone there just a skeleton at this point? It would be exciting, though.

A lot of people are also speculating they'll pretty much just get a tiny army thrown at them by the NK while he takes the vast majority of his forces to King's Landing, and then THAT will be the really big battle going forward. Who knows? I'm looking forward to next week, that's for sure.
A friend of mine commented on that today - "If you were fighting an undead army led by someone who could raise the dead, wouldn't the crypts be the WORST place to hide?" which has led to a lot of speculation. I think for various plot reasons the Night King can't work that way, though, and must be only able to raise the recently dead. His army doesn't have to kill them himselves - Wildlings burn their dead so they don't come back - but I can't think of a single point in the action where he's risen something or someone that's been long dead, and there are thousands of years of dead bodies buried in Westeros so even if he was limited to only those who hadn't been decayed to dust, if he could really raise any dead then attacking Winterfell would be a waste of time since he could just wander the seven kingdoms and have his army get bigger and bigger every time they passed a recent battlefield, until he was completely unstoppable. I don't know what the cutoff is, 24 hours, maybe 48, but I figure it has to be recent or the whole story falls apart because the bad guy is too powerful.

And the fact the Night King himself isn't seen at the head of his army IS kind of interesting. It would certainly be an unexpected surprise for Cersei.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Been thinking about this today. New crackpot theory, that actually holds water weirdly well and has kind of won over the few friends I've sent it to.

I think Jaime is going to die next episode, but not until he kills the Night's King, potentially ending the war against the undead. Couple reasons.

Meta-reason: Jaime has completed a character arc from kind of a monster in Season 1 Episode 1, to a legitimate warm, caring, sympathetic, likeable guy. In GRRM's world, that's basically a death sentence.

Simple-ish reason: Jaime is, after all, the Kingslayer. It makes sense

Somewhat more complex reason: In King's Landing, he killed a king of fire at the start of the events of the story, killing the Mad King Aerys before he could burn King's Landing. The Night's King is a king of ice. It makes sense in GRRM's universe.

More complex reason: Bran spent all of episode one waiting in the courtyard for "an old friend." at the end of the season we learn that was Jaime. Except it wasn't for some sort of showdown, Jaime pushed Bran out the window, but Bran is now the Three Eyed Raven and knows he wouldn't have become the Three Eyed Raven if it wasn't for Jaime, and that neither is the person they used to be. I.e - he really doesn't care anymore. So, he had some other reason for waiting for Jaime to arrive. Bran has been marked by the Night's King and will be the bait to draw him out in the Battle of Winterfell, and he wanted to make sure Jaime was there when it happens.

That would mean, in all probability, Jaime Lannister is Azor Ahai.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
If true, do you think the Night King kills him as his final act, or it happens post-NK death?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If true, do you think the Night King kills him as his final act, or it happens post-NK death?
If I had to write it?
Jaime ends up in the godswood with Bran, somehow, the godswood is aflame, the Night King goes to try to kill Bran, and Jaime, knowing full well it's a lost cause (and echoing his charge against Dany and Drogon), tries to defend him anyway, and gets cut down. The Night King goes to step over Jaime's bleeding body, Jaime sees a Valaryian steel or dragonglass blade in the flames near him, grabs it, probably burning himself in the process, and manages to stab the Night's King with it before he blacks out, fulfilling the prophesy and saving Bran's life after nearly killing him in the open, and the Kingslayer, one of the most scorned knights of the Seven Kingdoms, ends up being the hero to save the Seven Kingdoms from the White Walkers.

I mean, there's no way a left-handed Jaime can stand against the Night's King in single combat. He's not the fighter he used to be, and he knows it. The only shot he has is if he manages to hold on long enough after the Night's King thinks he's already killed him.

mongey

Reaction score
I have a few mixed feelings on the last ep. I actuality liked allot of what they did,or tried to do , but it was all so rushed . I'm guessing its going to be all go from here now there everyone has caught up . but that could've been 3 episodes and really fleshed it out . hell, I feel like all the catching up could be a whole season to get ready for the finale

maybe it was the 2 long necks of Belgian strong ale in me , but I got emotional at the Brienne scene

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
maybe it was the 2 long necks of Belgian strong ale in me , but I got emotional at the Brienne scene
I got emotional as well. So many seasons building up to that moment. You as the viewer knew how badly she wanted it (even though she denied it to multiple characters, except for Pod who is the only character in the story who knew the truth), and she finally got it as her reward.

That whole, little, fireplace hearth powwow scene with Tyrion, Jaime, Brienne, Pod, Davos, and Tormund was so well-done. It shows how all these characters of such vastly diverse backgrounds all come together and spend what could be their final night alive just sharing their humanity while all of the other characters in Winterfell are simply looking for some human solace of their own.

I am kind of pissed that "Gendrya" happened, but I guess we saw it coming from a mile away in Season 1. If I recall correctly, Genry and Arya have zero romantic interest in the book series and don't even think about each other at all during their respective journeys.

Thank goodness that "Jonsa" isn't happening though. The "Jonsa" shippers are literally one of the worst, most obnoxious, most toxic factions of a fanbase that I've ever encountered. And I say that counting fanbases across all sorts of mediums such as: music, film, TV, books, etc. "Jonsa" shippers are the fucking worst.

Last edited:

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
There's no way Jaime survives Season 8 Episode 3. Calling it now.
Jaime will survive because he has to kill Cersei. I'm calling it. He will become a "Queenslayer" in addition to being the "Kingslayer", and he will have to make the choice to kill the woman he loves who now carries yet another one of his offspring.

Been thinking about this today. New crackpot theory, that actually holds water weirdly well and has kind of won over the few friends I've sent it to.

I think Jaime is going to die next episode, but not until he kills the Night's King, potentially ending the war against the undead. Couple reasons.

Meta-reason: Jaime has completed a character arc from kind of a monster in Season 1 Episode 1, to a legitimate warm, caring, sympathetic, likeable guy. In GRRM's world, that's basically a death sentence.

Simple-ish reason: Jaime is, after all, the Kingslayer. It makes sense

Somewhat more complex reason: In King's Landing, he killed a king of fire at the start of the events of the story, killing the Mad King Aerys before he could burn King's Landing. The Night's King is a king of ice. It makes sense in GRRM's universe.

More complex reason: Bran spent all of episode one waiting in the courtyard for "an old friend." at the end of the season we learn that was Jaime. Except it wasn't for some sort of showdown, Jaime pushed Bran out the window, but Bran is now the Three Eyed Raven and knows he wouldn't have become the Three Eyed Raven if it wasn't for Jaime, and that neither is the person they used to be. I.e - he really doesn't care anymore. So, he had some other reason for waiting for Jaime to arrive. Bran has been marked by the Night's King and will be the bait to draw him out in the Battle of Winterfell, and he wanted to make sure Jaime was there when it happens.

That would mean, in all probability, Jaime Lannister is Azor Ahai.
Holy shit. Well thought out, @Drew.

Last edited:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I really liked the last episode. Was it a masterclass on writing high art television? No. But it felt really human. I had feeeeeels maaan. :shrug: :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I got emotional as well. So many seasons building up to that moment. You as the viewer knew how badly she wanted it (even though she denied it to multiple characters, except for Pod who is the only character in the story who knew the truth), and she finally got it as her reward.

That whole, little, fireplace hearth powwow scene with Tyrion, Jaime, Brienne, Pod, Davos, and Tormund was so well-done. It shows how all these characters of such vastly diverse backgrounds all come together and spend what could be their final night alive just sharing their humanity while all of the other characters in Winterfell are simply looking for some human solace of their own.

I am kind of pissed that "Gendrya" happened, but I guess we saw it coming from a mile away in Season 1. If I recall correctly, Genry and Arya have zero romantic interest in the book series and don't even think about each other at all during their respective journeys.

Thank goodness that "Jonsa" isn't happening though. The "Jonsa" shippers are literally one of the worst, most obnoxious, most toxic factions of a fanbase that I've ever encountered. And I say that counting fanbases across all sorts of mediums such as: music, film, TV, books, etc. "Jonsa" shippers are the fucking worst.

It was hinted at a little bit as they were fleeing Harrenhall, as I recall - they worked well as a team, they cared for each other, and while it was told from Arya's point of view and Arya has no patience for romance stories and whatnot, I recall her being angry and hurt and calling him bull-headed because Gendry went off with Dondarrian and the Brotherhood to be a blacksmith rather than continuing to Winterfell with her. It was one of those things that due to each character's limited perspective wasn't said (because Arya would never admit it to herself) but unless my memory is dead wrong there was potential there.

And, re: my crackpot theory.... Yeah, it hangs together awfully well, no?

Re: Cersei, two possible things could reconcile this. First, it could be Tyrion after all who kills her, despite that looking a lot like a false flag since technically Jaime was born just after she was. Second, someone I know suggested that when Jaime dies, Arya could steal his face, and use it to get close to Cersei and kill her wearing Jaime's face, which would technically preserve the prophecy, I suppose. This is of course complicated by Cersei having put a price on Jaime's head, but 1) Arya doesn't know that, and 2) Cersei is consistently not nearly as smart as she thinks she is, though that's probably truer in the books than the show (in the books, once she takes the throne as Tommen's reagent, GRRM's characterization of her is downright cruel at times).