Games that should get remade

• Thread starter beerandbeards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Another one:

Street Fighter 1. Seriously.

The game is nigh unplayable nowadays and Capcom have proven that they can do a good remake when required. So what better candidate than the original SF, also the only game in the series that hasn't been repeatedly over refined. Make every character playable, add some new gimmick or 2 and tart it up like the Alpha series so it still has the spirit of a classic game.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I mean if we're talking about Capcom doing more remakes, then let's throw in Breath of Fire while we're at it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
For the most part I do agree. Especially with the ton of remakes, reboots, kickstarters that's keeping certain franchises afloat. But with some remakes being awesome lately, I guess it's some way to preserve this quickly evolving medium. Resident Evil 2 is probably the best current example of how to remake a game with love. The Yakuza Kiwami remakes can be added too, as with the recent revived platformers like Strider, Bionic Commando REARMED - not that 3D one with the dumbest twist in history (sorry Mike Patton).

That said... ooh boy where to start? :lol:

Seiken Densetsu 3 would be the top of my list. Since Secret of Mana got reconstructed from the ground up, SD3 has yet to be properly released outside Japan, throw us a bone here Square Enix, but at least do it right unlike said Mana remake.

And from the Enix side, any of the 3 Blazer trilogy games (Soul Blazer, Illusion Of Gaia, Terranigma), or at least a spiritual sequel like they tried with The Granstream Saga but with more recurring themes.

And perhaps a ton of other JRPGs of the time like Treasure Hunter G, the first 2 Star Oceans, the Lufia games etc.

EDIT: With Katamari Damacy recently getting the Reroll treatment, there was a missed opportunity with adding it's sequel We Love Katamari as a bundle. Which is a shame, despite being pretty much the same exact game, the sequel was much more refined and definitely more challenging than the original.

EDIT 2: Bloody hell I won't be able to stop at this rate. :lol: Add Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on N64 to the list.
Goemon was awesome, same with Katamari Damacy.
I'd add in the Tenchu series and Power Stone. Both of those desperately need to be modernized and remade imo

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
Duck Hunt.

I'm a simple man :coffee:

Goemon was awesome, same with Katamari Damacy.
I'd add in the Tenchu series and Power Stone. Both of those desperately need to be modernized and remade imo

Tenchu is so sorely missed, I constantly hope I'll see a reboot or at least a port someday. I pretty much keep my 360 around partly because of Tenchu Z.

Though with the upcoming releases of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Ghost of Tsushima I hope those two do well enough in terms of sales and general interest in them for whoever owns the Tenchu IP rights to notice and go hey maybe now is the right time to go for it.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Goemon was awesome
Was it really though? I remember playing this one a long time ago and it was floaty and awkward to control (as was standard for n64-era 2.5d platformers :lol). I didn't hate it by any stretch, but I don't understand why it has such a following now. It's got like some cult status thing going on right now.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Goemon also beat Ocarina of Time to the punch.
Not saying that's why I love it. I'd have to go back and play it again, but at the time, I absolutely adore it.

wankerness

Reaction score
Most fully-3D N64 games aged like milk. But, they're appropriate for a thread about REMAKES, since they could probably be fixed with modern control handling and hit detection and be fun.

The Rare ones mostly still have reasonable controls, surprisingly enough. Diddy Kong Racing, DK 64, Banjo-Kazooie* have big issues, obviously, but you don't feel like you're fighting the controls actively unlike a floaty disaster of the time period like Shadows of the Empire. Which would be awesome if remade and the controls were fixed, BTW. We need Star Wars games that aren't garbage online shooters. I hate EA so much for sitting on that license and doing NOTHING good with it and blocking anyone else from doing anything with it, especially since there were a couple interesting games in development that EA shitcanned in favor of a second garbage online shooter.

One of the few N64 games that's held up pretty well is Blast Corps. I'd love to see that game again. It's one of the few things I'll play when I dig out the ol' system.

Well, I guess I wouldn't love to see it that much, since it would be an Xbox exclusive and I'm not buying one of those this generation.

*I haven't played it, but I watched my friend play through the Xbox 360 HD version of Banjo Kazooie 2 and that looked like a really good remaster/remake. I dunno how much they changed it beyond the HD graphics, but I'm guessing they tweaked the controls quite a bit. Their Perfect Dark remake on the same system was brilliant and was easily the shooter I played the most, it was vastly superior to the new Perfect Dark game.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I suppose I didn't see there being enough of value in it to be worth fixing/modernizing Goemon in particular. It's one thing to say something like Perfect Dark was great in it's time and currently shows it's age, but I didn't find Goemon to be very good even in the context of the time it came out - and I'm very much one to try to take things within that context. I actually played through Perfect Dark recently and I still think it holds up fine.

I'm curious what you'd say the big issues are with something like Diddy Kong Racing. Haven't played it in a long time, but I remember that one being great. I'd probably rather play that than any modern racing game - Mario Karts included.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Was it really though? I remember playing this one a long time ago and it was floaty and awkward to control (as was standard for n64-era 2.5d platformers :lol). I didn't hate it by any stretch, but I don't understand why it has such a following now. It's got like some cult status thing going on right now.

At the time, or even before that there was nothing like the Ganbare Goemon series. It was a miracle the first SNES Goemon was even localised at all, being neck deep in the anime quirks and historical stuff. Of course this was also a time when localising Japanese games were to heavily alter them Samurai Pizza Cats style. It's no big deal now, but back when anime was a rarity, finding and playing these were a small miracle.

The N64 Goemon (at least the first one) was much more faithful. But it's because of those quirks not found in other games is what gained a cult following. Sure the Zelda games were much tighter and less janky, but Link certainly have a giant robot with his own theme song, or explore a submarine with an interior made entirely of ramen ingredients. Yeah I'm preaching anime quirks as good game design to somebody who has a peeve with anime, but whatever. :lol:

I thought each Goemon game had it's fun special charm. But most were tough 2D Contra esque affairs, even the N64 sequel decided to go back into 2D, but admittedly the 2D games looked much better, since as stated, every 3D game during the 5th gen console era looks like butthole nowadays. So it's probably the best candidate to merit a full remake.

And of course that's all pipedream as the Goemon Series are made by Konami. And we all know how Konami treat their properties in this day and age.

Speaking of early 3D games that's aged like dirty underwear, the most recent glaring example of ageing terribly is having Shenmue released on Steam. Just have Sega give the Shenmue rights to Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios and rebuild 1, 2 and release 3 with the Dragon Engine. Sure it won't change most of the boring stuff (namely the main character), but at least most of the game can be salvaged. Either that, or at least we can always find solace knowing that certain remakes and franchise revivals/reboots are inevitable as long as there's nostalgia driven fans and a kickstarter to throw their money at.

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
the only good part of shenmue was the fighting system

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm curious what you'd say the big issues are with something like Diddy Kong Racing. Haven't played it in a long time, but I remember that one being great. I'd probably rather play that than any modern racing game - Mario Karts included.

Well of course YOU would, Mr. Retro! :) I played it about 3 years ago with a couple friends and it was painful. It's mainly just really slow and unresponsive.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Mr. Retro! :)
:)

Diddy Kong Racing I think was the first N64 game I had as a kid. I played an insane amount of that game and so that's what felt "right" in a cart-style racer, and the Mario Kart style controls have never felt right to me by comparison. Vaguely on-topic: there was a remake of that one for the DS, but I remember hearing it wasn't a very good remake.

Edit:
I also remember the characters in that one all handling pretty differently, if that makes any difference. Now I want to go out and find another copy of Diddy Kong.

wankerness

Reaction score
:)

Diddy Kong Racing I think was the first N64 game I had as a kid. I played an insane amount of that game and so that's what felt "right" in a cart-style racer, and the Mario Kart style controls have never felt right to me by comparison. Vaguely on-topic: there was a remake of that one for the DS, but I remember hearing it wasn't a very good remake.

Edit:
I also remember the characters in that one all handling pretty differently, if that makes any difference. Now I want to go out and find another copy of Diddy Kong.

Oh, they definitely did, but that's still a thing with the Mario Karts, and functions pretty much identically. However, it had planes/jetskis/carts that all handled VERY differently, which Mario Kart 8 kind of glosses over with its jetskis and carts feeling much the same and the only flying limited to going over big bumps and a parachute coming out. It also had boss fights which were infuriating but kind of a cool idea.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Onimusha Warlords
Tenchu Stealth Assassins
Mass Effect 3 (Hahahahahahaha)