Games that should get remade

• Thread starter beerandbeards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Here's a big one:

Xenogears

Sure everyone involved has since moved on, but it'd be ripe to have Square Enix dust off the cobwebs and bring this dead property back to life and fix everything wrong about the original.

First the small things: Overhaul the graphics so every 5th gen console reminder is out the door, namely make the gears look like actual mecha without the polygon pixel mess. Overhaul the field system, either refine it so jumping puzzles don't suck especially with the useless camer, or full overhaul to 3D third person. Battle system, give or take. It's sort of fine, but it'd also be cool to see it as a fast paced grid system like the old school Tales series. Soundtrack can stay the same. Maybe more songs depending on that big problem. Speaking of which...

The big problem: the entire second half of the game (disc 2). It's no secret the development budget wasn't big enough for Tetsuya Takahashi's insane ambition, resorting to the entire second half becoming a freaking montage, told in the vein of the last TV episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion using children's dolls and text dumps. I appreciate the 'pretentious artsy' approach in a mad rush to finish the game (since the story is all pretentiousness), but with a remake, putting some substantial content like say, a game, would certainly help in enhancing the story.

And get Monolith Soft to develop it. Goes without saying really.

Yeah everything I said is pipe dreaming and zero chances of happening, but it'd be nice to see this ridiculous story told without restrictions or whatever the hell Xenosaga was doing.

Dead property? Aren't the current Xenosaga games tied to it?

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Dead property? Aren't the current Xenosaga games tied to it?

Nope. Well they're tied only through generally the same development team trying to retell the story started with the Perfect Works book from scratch and founded Monolith Soft to do so.

Aside from a recent (and awesome) 20th anniversary concert, Squenix have done nothing new with the property.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else remember when Xenosaga was suppose to be like a decade long and 6 total games, and instead they abandoned shipped and just ended it at 3 games in like half the time? Good times...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
So it turns out Zelda: Link's Awakening is getting fully remade for the Switch. Good move as the game was solid and tightly designed.

Anyone else remember when Xenosaga was suppose to be like a decade long and 6 total games, and instead they abandoned shipped and just ended it at 3 games in like half the time? Good times...

I did. :squint: So much promise, so little delivery.

Ironically, the soundtrack to the first game is my favorite album of all time. :lol:

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
So it turns out Zelda: Link's Awakening is getting fully remade for the Switch. Good move as the game was solid and tightly designed.

I did. :squint: So much promise, so little delivery.

Ironically, the soundtrack to the first game is my favorite album of all time. :lol:

Oh I would play the shit out of a Link's Awakening remake. That was my JAM as far as Game Boy goes.

That first game did have amazing music.....and 45 minute cut scenes. Yeah, I bought into the hype for Xenosaga, then never even finished the first game. I will say, as long as they're "remastering" or at least releasing games from PS2 on PS4, I'd grab a Xenosaga collection, sure.

EDIT: OH MY GOD GIVE THIS TO ME NOW!!!!
https://www.ign.com/videos/2019/02/...akening-nintendo-switch-remake-reveal-trailer

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
That first game did have amazing music.....and 45 minute cut scenes. Yeah, I bought into the hype for Xenosaga, then never even finished the first game. I will say, as long as they're "remastering" or at least releasing games from PS2 on PS4, I'd grab a Xenosaga collection, sure.

The more I think about the Xenosaga games the more of the fact that the Xeno franchise pre Xenoblade (more on that later) has been cursed from the beginning. It was history repeating itself. Xenogears got shot in the kneecaps from budget restraints unable to tell it's ambitious yet overbloated story (gears was supposed to be Chapter 5 :lol:). And with the mulligan of trying to retell the entire Perfect Works book "properly" gets capped again by falling under it's own weight. Hence why Ep3 was going for the mad rush of trying to cram in as much story as possible. That and the fact that the focus of story over gameplay made the games crap certainly didn't help.

The new Xenoblade games don't suffer the Xeno curse namely because they were never meant to be Xeno games to begin with, and much more fun to play. :lol: That was Satoru Iwata rebranding the first game as Xenoblade to honor Takahashi's dedication. There's still some subtle callbacks for spiritual similarity's sake. There's always a stoic long haired martial arts dude with a sword, and all the Nopons are certainly a nod to Chu Chu. And adding giant mecha robots (that transform no less) in X was an excellent move.

broj15

Reaction score
I'm probably a minority as isometric turn based strategy rpg's are a pretty niche thing, but I'd love to see square do a TRUE sequal/remake of final fantasy tactics (yes I'm aware of the remake for the psp). If it was a remake I'd expect vastly improved graphic (if I change my armor or weapon I want to see that I've done so), some new jobs (onion knight and dark Knight are cool, but give me some jobs from FFTA 1 & 2 like the fencer, fighter, spell blade, etc.) along with some cool side quests/new game+ allowing access to new items. Also online pvp would be cool, but they'd have to alter the formulas within the game to make it harder to break, since it would be pretty boring if everyone had been ninja levelling/doing the time mage/summoner set up.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I'd like to see a remake of the original single player Star Wars - Knights Of The Old Republic games.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
It's criminal that the Legacy of Kain franchise has been dormant forever. I want to know what Raziel is up to dammit!

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
It's a shame how underrated that series is. At the time, you could arguably say that very few games were able to match the perfect combination of gameplay and storytelling and also gave vampires a huge injection of badassery.

Qweklain

Reaction score
So I want to ask because some people seem to use remade/re-master interchangeably, but they are not the same.

Re-master: the original game as it is, but just updated graphics and other minor things, but the game is still as it originally was. (E.g.; Secret of Mana)
Remake: Using the original game as the baseline and retain a variable percentage of elements (gameplay, story, battle style), but greatly altering those and/or other elements from the original. (E.g.; Zelda: Links Awakening, Metroid Samus Returns, Final Fantasy VII)

With that said, I will add my "short" list...

Alundra (rather have a new one since this is perfection, but not like Alundra 2)
Brave Fencer Musashi
Chrono Trigger
Dino Crisis 1 & 2
Final Fantasy VI (FF6 >> FF7 :duel:)
Grandia (preferably just a new one)
King's Field 1 & 2 (or just a new one)
Landstalker
Parasite Eve 1 & 2 (or just a new one like these, not like 3rd Birthday)
Secret of Evermore
Tales of Destiny 1 & 2

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I find the line between remaster and remake to be pretty blurry though -> It's sort of the whole "how many parts can you replace before you have a new car" thing.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I find the line between remaster and remake to be pretty blurry though -> It's sort of the whole "how many parts can you replace before you have a new car" thing.

Remake is adding whole new plotlines, rearranging existing stuff, taking some stuff away and adding it.

Remaster is making everything that already exists prettier. The line shouldn't be all that blurry.

wankerness

Reaction score
Remake is adding whole new plotlines, rearranging existing stuff, taking some stuff away and adding it.

Remaster is making everything that already exists prettier. The line shouldn't be all that blurry.

Yup, essentially a remaster is using the existing assets as much as possible and leaving nearly everything intact. The only "gray area" is with the handful of older games like say, FFX HD where they replaced the character models entirely to make it look a hell of a lot better than a true PS2 "remaster" like Kingdom Hearts where you have the same puny polygon counts blown up to high resolution. The gameplay's completely intact on FFX, though, it was just a matter of character models. Same thing happened with Arkham Asylum IIRC - they had to toss out the FMV cutscenes and do them with in-game models, but the same stuff all still happens and the gameplay is all identical and I believe they used all the same models.

wankerness

Reaction score
I mean in this case, it's pretty clear cut.

Yep. I'd like to see an example of a game that's really a "gray area." I can't think of any. Things like the most recent version of Shadow of the Colossus compared to the HD version from the last generation are a very good example of the difference.

Like I said...... Lol. Everyone has their own idea of the very obviously correct interpretation.

I'm starting to feel that in this discussion you're just trying to obfuscate - what game(s) has/have you confused?

Latest posts