Games that should get remade

• Thread starter beerandbeards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I guess I wouldn't trust Expansion Pak games to work reliably, especially those that required it.
Why's that? Expansion pack is basically just a bit o ram.

I was using VirtualBox and an old Win 95 disk image. I did get it to run eventually, but the video drivers were wacky. Granted, I was shooting myself in the foot a little bit -> My original goal was to get 95 working in DosBox so that I could run it on my phone. :lol: I know it's doable, and I've done it with XP before and it was so slow as to be unusable. :lol:

Joan Maal

Reaction score
I spent a lot of money playing to "Black Tiger" on arcades. Mostly of best games ever we're on arcades. No need to remake, just use M.A.M.E.

wankerness

Reaction score
Why's that? Expansion pack is basically just a bit o ram.

I was using VirtualBox and an old Win 95 disk image. I did get it to run eventually, but the video drivers were wacky. Granted, I was shooting myself in the foot a little bit -> My original goal was to get 95 working in DosBox so that I could run it on my phone. :lol: I know it's doable, and I've done it with XP before and it was so slow as to be unusable. :lol:

I don't trust peripherals as much as I trust the system itself, I guess I figured it would overheat or fail or have been exposed to dust and grime for too long (even though it's fairly sealed in). It's probably misplaced. I know very little about it.

Yikes, that's quite a goal! I've never used Virtualbox. We have unidesk/vmware here on campus, and I used the aforementioned Hyper-V once, but obviously I haven't used those for screwing around with old OSs, even though I HAVE had to reinstall DOS on an ancient computer which had a failed hard drive. It was really fun going through a huge stack of floppies and finding that only ONE worked and then having to go through and install/erase all 6 (maybe it was 5, don't remember) floppies necessary for DOS on the same disk. What are you using 95 for?

I've used remote desktop from iOS with some success, would installing 95 on dosbox and then remoting to the computer that is running dosbox work better? :p I dunno what you're trying to do, of course, it would probably be unusably tiny.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
My original goal was to try to get a game going on my phone, but at this point I don't even remember what the game was. I was able to get a couple of Windows 3.1 games going on it, but 3.1 is suuuuuper easy to get running. I've got Magic DosBox though on my phone, and it works really great -> Not only does it run really nicely in most cases, but you can also re-map controls to whatever you want on a per-game/instance basis, so I've got a bluetooth controller hooked up and you can map it to arrow keys, or wasd or whatever else. Doom, Wolf 3d, old platformers, Monkey Island, etc., original/legal copies of everything, with controllers mapped to keys. It's a surprisingly good way to play IMO.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
For some reason, a game I thought should at least get a remaster job done came to mind: Heavenly Sword.

Although Microsoft.own Ninja Theory now, so guess that becomes and Xbox game...

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I’d love a reboot of the Tokyo Xtreme Racer (Shutoko Battle) series on PS4 or PS5. Those games were so fun. I am seriously contemplating purchasing a PS2 controller and memory card just to play those games again. Wish I could find the 4 or so I know I have somewhere :lol:

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I LOVED the OG Need for Speed Underground games. Hell, even discovered two of my favorite bands playing #2 (Soulwax & Skindred). The original Most Wanted was pretty sick too, but they lost me after Carbon.

EA would never remake these games (and keep them true to their original spirit) but it would be cool to see them return to form with future releases.

thedonal

Reaction score
I spent a lot of money playing to "Black Tiger" on arcades. Mostly of best games ever we're on arcades. No need to remake, just use M.A.M.E.

Love that game. I had it on the Atari ST years ago- fantastic port. I played it through on a cheat (I know!!) a fair few times.

I have it free on a collection on the X-Box 360. It's really bloody difficult.

Though that's me who- having bought the SNES classic- has realised what difference 26 odd years makes on your gaming performance- I can't evne get through a few levels of Super Mario World any more!! Or Super Contra- The Alien Wars. I could blast through that game years ago. No longer!!

It also reminds me how much more forgiving many major games are these days..

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Having recently-ish picked up a 3ds - I think I can see the value in remakes or ports to handhelds just for the convenience factor. At this point, I don't see myself busting out a Wii to play very many things, but I'd play handheld versions of games from that console.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Having recently-ish picked up a 3ds - I think I can see the value in remakes or ports to handhelds just for the convenience factor. At this point, I don't see myself busting out a Wii to play very many things, but I'd play handheld versions of games from that console.

Looking at the list, I think the 3DS might be a better option for me than trying to track down a Wii-U for a Zelda box. I'd buy a Switch if they actually allowed for the virtual console games to be played on them, but currently it's Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword I think? I've still never gotten to play Windwaker, and I love, LOVE, the artstyle of it, but it's always been on consoles I've never had a need for besides that one game.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
There's a bunch of virtual console stuff that is Wii-U only and I don't have one. Would be nice if they made those available on the 3ds too, since it would guess the hardware is more than capable of handling stuff newer than snes.

thedonal

Reaction score
Looking at the list, I think the 3DS might be a better option for me than trying to track down a Wii-U for a Zelda box. I'd buy a Switch if they actually allowed for the virtual console games to be played on them, but currently it's Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword I think? I've still never gotten to play Windwaker, and I love, LOVE, the artstyle of it, but it's always been on consoles I've never had a need for besides that one game.

Windwaker is a truly, truly wonderful game. I'd go switch for this and to play Breath of the Wild (and Skyward Sword- I missed that one). But not at the current console price. Still nearly £300? I guess they must be doing well with it...

I nearly bought a WII-U for Windwaker HD. Didn't though..

wankerness

Reaction score
Windwaker is good. I don't know if they tweaked anything with the rerelease. It had a problem that made most of my RL friends consider it a lesser Zelda, which is that you get close to the end and all of a sudden are told you have to go on a wild goose chase around the entire world collecting tons of treasures off the bottom of the ocean to proceed. If they didn't change that, YMMV on how great you think it is! I'm one of those nerds that goes exploring all the time to try and complete sections of the map as I go, and as a result when I hit that part of the story I only had about 1/4 of those treasures left to collect and it didn't feel like a big deal at all.

I bought a Wii-U for Breath of the Wild cause I also wanted Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros and Donkey Kong and it was like 1/3 the price of a Switch. Naturally then I got a criminally cheap Switch and Bayonetta/DK got released on Switch in higher-quality versions. Oh well. BOTW isn't really inferior on Wii-U apart from the controller. The step-system of backwards-compatibility is frustrating, though - I thought the Wii-U would let me get rid of the Wii, but nope, I have to keep the Wii to play GC games!! At least they can use the same sensor bar.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Windwaker changed the triforce hunting bit in the HD version and no one complains about it anymore.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Also, Thief.
I feel like Thief is a game that is best not-too-modernized. It was simple and good. Maybe making it run nicely on modern hardware, and the odd visual touch-up here and there would be cool, but the chance of tweaking the mechanics of it at all could potentially break what was good about it pretty easily.... I'd be worried about getting Thief 2014 again.

That said - I didn't hate Thief 4.... But it wasn't very Thief for a Thief game. I've heard a lot of people say Dishonored made a better modern Thief than the real modern Thief. I can't say that I disagree.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Diablo should be remade using the engine from Witcher 3.

Also, Thief.

I can't find it but there is awesome fan art of the Witcher reimagined as an isometric RPG which would be equally as cool.

There was a game that was basically Diablo but in a Witcher/Skyrim style engine. It never got released but the gameplay looked incredible. It will take a lot of digging to find out what it was. Its a shame that so many games don't get released. It must be soul crushing for the teams working on them.