Games that should get remade

• Thread starter beerandbeards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I find the more time I spend with the 2ds I bought a while back, the more I feel like the 3ds platform is perfect for bringing back old stuff. The Starfox 64 remake looks great on that thing. I'd play the sh*t out of all the n64 era remakes on this console. Same with snes era stuff. A Perfect Dark 3D would be great.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Shame the 3DS is on its way out. Though the thought of getting one dirt cheap to play some of those Zelda games and Persona Q2 has forward my mind...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I still think it's a worthwhile system. If you have a 3ds and an Advance SP (which is pretty cheap to get now), you basically have access to 100% of Nintendo's handheld content until you get up to the Switch.

wankerness

Reaction score
3DS doesn't do GBA games? The DS did. Oh well. I think all the Castlevania games for GBA and DS besides Circle of the Moon are necessary plays if you like metroidvania games. I haven't used the DS much for anything other than RPG ports (like FFVI) or Donkey Kong Country ports. But man, did I get my money's worth with those Castlevania games. The GBA "Double Pack" and the first and third games for DS in particular are up there with SOTN.

Speaking of, I just bought the PS4 port of SOTN and started playing through it again yesterday. I've been through it too many times, it only took me about 3-4 hours to get to the second castle and that was with grinding for the Chakram. I HATE, HATE, HATE the new voice acting cause they unforgivably applied it to the librarian. Now he's got a flat "what can i do for you?" and "thank you." Arguably just as bad is the Demon familiar - now he doesn't have the terribly translated "WHY DON'T I PRESS IT AND SEE?" line, but he also has the most generic regular guy voice ever. I also think the new voice actor for Alucard is inferior. They did fix some of the hilariously badly translated dialogue and the voice acting is "better," but I really don't like that they changed it at all and some of the stuff you'd hear over and over is sorely missed, especially the librarian and demon and sword familiar. I wish there'd been an option to toggle back to old game sound. I wonder what the problem was, since the Xbox360 port had the original voice acting. That's probably what I'll play next time I get the urge.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
3DS doesn't do GBA games? The DS did

When I read this, I immediately thought virtual console - completely forgetting that the older DS models played GBA titles too. I imagine the hardware should be able to handle that as a virtual console title too? Too bad that's not a thing though. I'm kind of glad the 3ds doesn't have another giant GBA cart slot on it though. Seems like that would make it a lot bulkier than it already is.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Speaking of, I just bought the PS4 port of SOTN and started playing through it again yesterday.

I heard this port was based on the PSP version- is that true?

It was the first version of SotN that I played. It's kind of fun that you can skip losing all of your gear to Death in the beginning by simply backing out of the room and re-entering.

wankerness

Reaction score
I heard this port was based on the PSP version- is that true?

It was the first version of SotN that I played. It's kind of fun that you can skip losing all of your gear to Death in the beginning by simply backing out of the room and re-entering.

I'm not familiar with the PSP version so I can't answer. The only clue I can give you is that it had a boss fight against maria to get the ring towards the end of the first castle that I don't recall seeing before. Not sure if that was in the 360 version or not, or whether it came from the Saturn version, or PSP, or what. Oh, and it has separate Faerie and Fairy familiars, I think there was only one in the 360 version, def only one in PSX.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
And from the Enix side, any of the 3 Blazer trilogy games (Soul Blazer, Illusion Of Gaia, Terranigma), or at least a spiritual sequel like they tried with The Granstream Saga but with more recurring themes.

I tend to bring up these 3 games every now and then, but after seeing a retrospective review of Terranigma, I wished Quintet continued on making great games like these. Terranigma was the best action-RPG in the SNES era and still outdoes even the newer 2D Zelda games.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Rollercoaster Tycoon.
Yes there is Planet Coaster
But i want the waterfall and underwater rides

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
shadowmanlogodcscreen1.jpg images.jpeg Shadow Man-3.jpg screenshot_shadowman02.jpg Shadowman/ Shadow Man from dreamcast/N64.
The dreamcast version was much better. Epic game, tied for all time favorite along with Ocarina of Time. It was so brutal and dark:

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
The first Borderlands OH WAIT :fever:

Oh, also? I want a true sequel to Mario Bros 3. With the raccoon suit, tanooki suit, hammer bros suit, koopa kids etc.

Unless that was the premise of one of those DS games I never got to play.

wankerness

Reaction score

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
The first Borderlands OH WAIT :fever:

Oh, also? I want a true sequel to Mario Bros 3. With the raccoon suit, tanooki suit, hammer bros suit, koopa kids etc.

Cool thing is if you already own BL1 on PC, you get the upgrade for free.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Huh. I have that game. I vaguely remember starting it back in the day. I have memories of a jail run by pig men!!
YES! They squeal when they attack! That's when you get to Asylum. I played through the entire night when I first arrived. Nostalgia is hitting me so hard right now!

wankerness

Reaction score
Cool thing is if you already own BL1 on PC, you get the upgrade for free.

I only want to play it on console, unfortunately, but I’m fine with paying the money.

Here’s hoping it’s not censored gorewise to match the sequels!

Demiurge

Reaction score

Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS is kind of an attempt at it- with the Koopa kids, air ships, raccoon tail, etc., but kind of like all of the newer Mario games it also incorporates stuff through the whole series.

I'm kind of surprised that nothing has been done with SMB 2. Maybe in Japan it's still the "unrelated game that we re-skinned with Mario for the stupid Americans".

wankerness

Reaction score
Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS is kind of an attempt at it- with the Koopa kids, air ships, raccoon tail, etc., but kind of like all of the newer Mario games it also incorporates stuff through the whole series.

I'm kind of surprised that nothing has been done with SMB 2. Maybe in Japan it's still the "unrelated game that we re-skinned with Mario for the stupid Americans".

Characters from it are in basically every other Mario game (bobombs and shyguys for example), so they didn’t try to sweep it under the rug or anything? I dunno how they think of it continuity-wise, but whatev. There was a GBA version that I didn’t play that I think enhanced it somewhat more than Mario all-stars, but I might be wrong on that.

Demiurge

Reaction score
^Oh, I know they've used enemies, etc. in other games, but I like the picking-up & flinging enemies/objects part of the gameplay. And the dream world thing with the asshole frog boss would at least be a change of scenery.