Gary Kramer Delta Wing - Turbulence 7 string

• Thread starter Dushan S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dushan S

Reaction score
I was preferring 6 guitars for my downtuned needs, mostly tuned to C# with lowest string into B, but recently got this interesting guitar, my first 7 string actually. So I thought about sharing my impressions, as it may be useful for someone interested in different, innovative stuff because Gary Kramer guitars are not well known and easy to see and try, at least for now.

So here it is:

F-1DS008.jpg

GKG7_1.jpg

2_sm.jpg

There are some pictures on their website, but if someone is interested, I will make a picture of a detail or whatever.

Anyway, guitar is kind of "extended range" but not by adding lower, 8th string but by adding 12 frets more, obviously :)
It is modified "Turbulence" model, it was called f-01 when I got it but they changed that recently. Stock pickup is replaced with D-Sonic that works beautifully, it is aggressive enough for metal chugga chugga stuff, but still has warm, defined sound for leads and has good clean in single coil mode especially. Mini switch is added for serial/parallel/single coil, and there is also push pull for turning "Black ice" on. Extended neck is good thing in this case, not only just because of those extra high notes, but because it is possible to play easily all your usual licks on all 7 strings high up the neck, and use like, XXII or XXIV position effortlessly, not just for bending E string :)

I assume that body shape can be strange for some people, but it is not just for looks, and guitar is very comfortable and balanced. They have some explanation about whole Delta Wing guitar concept at GK site, if someone wants to learn more, but in short, guitar is built around idea of making guitar without being attached to expectation what guitar should look like (because usual body shape is derived from classic stringed instruments like cello or violin, and from acoustic guitar that needed body to be resonant box) but was made to be ergonomic and practical. Lower horn is missing and guitar is made to be placed between legs like classical guitar and in that position it is really stable (although I have found myself preferring to play it in usual way), and upper horn is longer because of balance. Body is also made to support picking hand, bit more room there also. Neck is flat and easily playable, at least for me (I got small hands), although as it is my first 7 string guitar, and because frets are medium sized it took some time for me to adjust.

Well if there are any questions, feel free to ask! My girlfriends video camera I was using is broken, and I have only old POD here at home to record with but I will make some video/audio clips later if someone wants to hear and see this guitar in action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
That actually looks pretty cool. I'm not crazy about the headstock but the rest of it is very unique looking. I just saw an ad in the newest Guitar World for another one of his guitars which was more of a "V" shape. Wasnt crazy about that one. This one has a more interesting body shape.

Thanks for the review and pics.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice, finally someone around here bought one, I was thinking of purchasing one too, and Uli John Rothing it(add neck pickup under finger-board):hbang:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love to hear some clips, even if you only have your POD man. :metal: Looks pretty cool, I was digging the bright yellow 7 string they had at NAMM this year. :agreed:

Zacplays

is Ginormous.
Reaction score
Just read about kramers new series in guitar world. Apparently the shape of it is not just for looks. Its supposed to be perfect for sitting down playing and the upper horn keeps your posture great. Pretty sick looking. :hbang:

D

Desecrated

The fretboard is just pure sex, since I usually play on the fretboard instead of on the headstock that's what really interests me about a guitar. I think it's kinda silly to even comment about the aesthetic of a guitar that's obviously built to be ergonomic instead of looking nice.
Now with that said, I to think that a reversed headstock would look better because it would have "flown" nicer with the design (I'm way to gay for my own good)

Now to some questions;

Is it hard to fret the highest frets, are they to small or can you fit your fingers in there?
What about the backside, how does the neckjoint look ?
How far away from your chin is the upper horn when sitting in classical position ?
How much do they cost?

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Its different looking but still cool. Congrats. I have heard of Gary Kramer guitars before, but the only body style I have seen were the strat shapes. Sweet axe!

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw those guitars before, but not in person, but to be honest I thought what the body is way smaller, but it looks bigger that at pictures without real person holding it :)

kristallin

punk'd
Reaction score
Looks very weird, and actually looks huge, but I'm sure it's extremely comfortable. I'd love to hear some sound clips!

daniboy

what?!?
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw those guitars before, but not in person, but to be honest I thought what the body is way smaller, but it looks bigger that at pictures without real person holding it :)

+1. radical stuff that. not the usual orthodox stuff and it is growing on me.

Shaman

Reaction score
I am not usually the biggest fan out "weird" shapes, but that one looks amazing!

I would love to hear how it sounds too :agreed:

')