GASsing to Fill my Floyd-Void!!!

• Thread starter danger5oh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Hey SS.org comrades...

After careful consideration and keeping in line with my previous perfect "guit-arsenal" post... I'm thinking I need an axe with a Floyd Rose. Here's a few that I tracked down...

1) USA Jackson Warrior WR1 $1,400 (I love the Eerie Dess finish, the body shape is growing on me, and I do love Jackson's)
2) USA EVH Wolfgang Stealth $2,999.99 (expensive as hell, but dear God it is beautiful)
3) Edwards Alexi Laiho Scythe $700 (I really don't want a sig, but whatever, it seems to have awesome features)
4) ESP Eclipse II with an FR $1,899.99 (it's black! And it would compliment my snow white ToM ESP Eclipse II perfectly lol)

Thoughts please...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

clark81

Reaction score
I would go first with the EVH, Wolfgang, once u try it you can't go back really. If not I would go for the ESP but keep in mind that its sound will be more focused.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
The import model of the Wolfgang is only around $1200. I'd try that first, then see if you want to spend the rest of that $1800 on a USA.

MatthewK

Reaction score
Where did you find the Alexi for $700? I'd be all over that. But to address your question, if I was looking to get a guitar specifically for its locking tremolo I would be looking at Ibanez.

awesomeaustin

hates neck pickups.
Contributor
Reaction score
I vote Jackson, although the USA Warrior isn't available in the Eerie Dess Swirl, and for the cheapest finish option (black) the cheapest they'll go for is $2,200. Unless you buy used, or get in on a sale.

But I still vote Jackson:metal:

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
The Alexi is on good ol' craigslist. It's supposedly in mint condition and for reasons unknown I've always been drawn to V's.

The Jackson belongs to a friend of mine. It's definitely Eerie Dess ;) and it plays ridiculously well. At first i hated the Warrior body shape, but it's kinda growing on me. Plus, it's definitely a guitar you dont see everyday.

I used to own a Wolfgang Special, but as strange as this is going to sound, I found it kinda uncomfortable to play... the flat slab body annoyed me a little. The USA version would be my absolute first choice if it was about $1k less.

And as far as the ESP Eclipse goes, I already know I love the Eclipse's playability and the 24.75 scale... and like I mentioned before, it would be a perfect yin-yang match to my snow white Eclipse. The only thing that I'm hesitant about is owning two of the same guitar... overkill?

Thanks for the opinions so far everyone... keep 'em coming please!

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with owning more than one of the same guitar. :cool:
I own 3 '99 ibanez S7420s :nuts: and 2 of them have the same pups, different tunings tho.

If you like it get it, who cares if you already own one.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
The WR1, it is definitely the best quality guitar there.

DTay47

Reaction score
Well, it depends on what you are looking for. What kind of sound are you looking for? Passive/active pups? Fretboard?
We really need more info to give you a better recomendation as we are only saying our own personal preferences, not necesarily what you will like.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
The only thing I can add, is I played one of the wolfgang stealth's and it was terrible, it felt cheap and the overall fit and finish wasn't up the par.

The non-stealth models were a little better, but still nothing special in my opinion.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Jackson WR1 IMHO. Jackson USAs are awesome guitars.

The ESP EC Would be my second choice on your list. But Seeing how Jackson and ESP are my two favorite brands I am a little biased lol

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
As for the Wolfgang, idk I think it is a bit overpriced and agree it is nothing special, but still I hear it is a pretty good guitar.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Personally, I've played EVH Wolfgangs and Peavey Wolfgangs, and I didn't really notice much difference in quality or feel, and the Peaveys (still US made) are a lot cheaper. Granted, I didn't play them back to back, but the EVH is the one I played more recently, and it didn't really strike me as anything special.

Also, I like that you complain about not wanting a signature guitar in reference to the Alexi, but make no such complaint about the EVH, which is not just a signature guitar, but it's released by a signature COMPANY.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
^^^ Touche lol... but imho EVH is more or less a full-fledged brand now, not necessarily just a sig guitar. Jackson, Fender, Charvel, Gibson, etc. are all named after some guy. If you think about it, 80% of all music related brands are named after some guy, some where.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
But I agree with a lot of the above posts... I just sat down with an EVH Stealth for about 1 hour... I wasn't exactly $3,000 blown away. I think the Stealth is out of the running.

So far the only one I haven't sat down with is the Edwards Alexi. I'm not totally opposed to it, as I actually like their music. It's just very recognizable as being HIS guitar... that's my only reservation.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
^^^ Touche lol... but imho EVH is more or less a full-fledged brand now, not necessarily just a sig guitar. Jackson, Fender, Charvel, Gibson, etc. are all named after some guy. If you think about it, 80% of all music related brands are named after some guy, some where.

Yeah, but all those companies are named after the guy who MADE the guitars, not the one who PLAYED them. Signature guitars aren't always named after the guy playing them, anyway: the Caparison Applehorn is Mattias Ekhlund's signature guitar, but it doesn't bear his name, or any other human name. Same for the Epiphone Apparition (Marcus Henderson), Ibanez Jem and Universe (Steve Vai) and Apex (Munky), and, to bring it back to the original topic, the various incarnations of Eddie's signature guitars (Peavey and EVH Wolfgang, named after his son, and Music Man Axis). And I wouldn't say that EVH is a full-fledged brand, because they really only exist to make Eddie's signature guitar and Eddie's signature amp, and variations thereof, as well as hats, shoes, neckties...it's basically just an excuse for him to ejaculate his trademarks all over everything. EVH, the company, isn't a brand as much as Eddie himself is.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
Eddie's signature guitar and Eddie's signature amp, and variations thereof, as well as hats, shoes, neckties...it's basically just an excuse for him to ejaculate his trademarks all over everything. EVH, the company, isn't a brand as much as Eddie himself is.

I love you... this is by far the funniest thing I've heard all day. I just about spit my Guinness all over my computer lol. I couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
')