Gauge change?

• Thread starter Enigma
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma

extra string whore
Reaction score
since i bought my wolfgang, i've recently really felt a lot more comfortable w/ 9-42 guage than i ever did w/ 10-52. So i've been thinking... why don't I restring my UV w/ D'Addario XL7 9's. As great as this would be i have some qualms about doing it. i know i would have to completely reset the trem angle, and take out one of the springs (i've got 4 in there now). However, would the action be really screwed up? I'll probably have to lower the trem a bit but will i have to adjust the trust rod? And finally, will i have to fix the intonation at all? I'd be using the same tuning i always have so i don't think it would screw with the intonation if i changed guages. Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, your intonation should be fine. and yeah, you're going to need to re-setup your guitar, trem angle and truss rod tension and all the goodies.

you might be able to get away with 4 springs. it all depends on how strong they are. if they are too strong, then leaving them in, you'd be almost pulling your trem claw screws out of the body. if they're sorta slack, then you'll be alright.

right now, with the 10's on, how far into the body are your trem claw screws? i'd say, if you've got them screwed almost all the way in, you might be able to leave all 4 springs in. but definitely keep an eye on it.

Enigma

extra string whore
Reaction score
ah... i'd really have to adjust the truss rod tension? I didn't think that'd be necessary because i'm lightening the tension of the strings, so i wouldn't think the neck would need to be pulled back like it would if you changed to a higher guage. In that case i might just stick with the 10's, because i hate doing my truss rod, and i just got it back from the shop so i don't really want to take it back there so soon, and spend more money getting it set up again.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
the neck bends both ways :)

a heavier gauge will increase overall tension, and pull the neck forward, where a lighter gauge will decrease overall tension, and the neck will bend back a bit.

of course, if after changing to the lighter gauge, if there is no fret buzzing and you dig the action, then you should be fine and good to go :yesway:

Enigma

extra string whore
Reaction score
hrmm... i think i might go ahead and try it then. Maybe I'll ask my tech when i go in to pick up my wolfgang. Thanks for the helpl

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
asking your tech sounds like a good idea, as he might know better the tension tolerances of that specific guitar's neck.

Enigma said:
Thanks for the helpl
no problem! let us know how it turns out.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you will need to tweak your intonation, truss rod and trem balance.
If it's possibly a temporary change then don't bother moving the saddles for the time being. Wait till you know you're comfortable.

Digital Black

Reaction score
The long and short of it- Lenght-moreso than any other factor- impacts intonation the most.

Tension, string width, ect. also, but not to the degree.

You should be allright.

BCrowell

Cubicle Dweller
Contributor
Reaction score
I went through this 3-weeks ago on my 7620. The trem springs were screwed all the way in (like on most 10s based trems). All I had to do was back them out 3 turns or so (sounds simple yet a PITA, as i'd back off 1/4 turn, retune till balanced, check the trem angle, repeat*4!!), and then slightly adjust the neck relief...

I just like 9s better, always used them before, and the 10s have much less give IMHO. Actually I'm using a hybrid set...the B through A strings are from my 10s set, and D-E are from a 9s set... that way I have a nice tight low end, and flexable upper end...

Enigma

extra string whore
Reaction score
thanks for all your help you guys. I called up my tech and he said the way my guitar is set up it should be able to take 9-52 with no problem at all. So i just finished restringing it, the nut is locked, it's tuned perfectly and everything. The action is possibly better than before... i had to adjust the trem height a little bit on the bass strings, but other than that no real action problems occured. The tension is perfect, and the intonation is as well. It feels so much better, this guage is really much more comfortable to me. Thanks again, guys :shred:

EDIT: ok i've been noticing a bit of buzzing, on the bass strings. Also, the treble strings are a wee bit to high for my liking. I'm thinking I have to adjust the truss rod. Would I need to put more curvature in the neck or less? Also, last time I tried to adjust the truss rod on my UV, i noticed that when i took the truss cover off there was this weird cap thing preventing me from getting to the actual truss nut itself, any way to get around this? Thanks.

')