Gauging interest - 8+ string pickups

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been a bit quiet here recently due to work commitments, including the development of pickups for the Oni instruments, which is getting some sweet results :yesway: So, my question for all you lovely peeps is.....

How much interest is there in me making a range of 8+ string pickups available? Pricing would be similar to the other guys making similar products and there would be the option of custom string spacings, number of strings, angled for multiscale instruments etc... at additional cost to cover special jigs, templates and other subcontracted machining.

I'm using custom made polepieces, magnets, baseplates and flatwork for this stuff. Both humbuckers and singlecoil are possible, no problems, and maaaaybe 7 string units. For the standard 8's I'd have a baseplate made to fit the RG8 machining nicely, along with a more traditional HB baseplate. It would be a couple of months before I could get this happening. I need genuine interest here, don't say you will if you almost certainly won't ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Given that Lundgrens are available now and BareKnuckles will be coming out in December, I don't see a huge point unless you can do something better or cheaper :shrug:

Hmmmm though I'm not sure if BKP will be doing singles.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I understand your point Steve. Cheaper wouldn't be possible, 'better' is kinda subjective. Construction quality would be top shelf. Since I'm now into making pickups I figure it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to offer them for sale on their own. The custom options might be of interest to a few guys.

D

Desecrated

I would try and build something that lundgren and bareknuckle isen't doing. Like nickel covers, single coil, p90-style pickups and such.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
OMG, Dan....just think, an 8 string P90 soapbar with the same footprint as an 808!! I would order one of those for the neck position of my 2228 in a heartbeat.
<drool>

Scarpie

Reaction score
IS AN 8 STRING SUSTAINER PICKUP POSSIBLE? CAUSE THAT WOULD BE PRETTY AMAZING!!!!!!! SOMETHING NO ONE ELSE IS DOING.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
If you would make good sounding seven string single coils, me love you long time. :wub: Also sevens would be cool because really there isn't an overwhelming variety on the market. There's a shit load of high output ones and a few PAF types but not a whole lot else.

Yes you should do the 8+ pickups as well. Variety in the market always rules.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like more options personnaly, I'm in the porcess of gathering different ideas for my futur 8 (again, I postponed it a year) and pickups choices are rather scarce. I've selected the EMG808 cause I tried it and liked it but something more organic and scatterwound would be interesting. I've looked at what Merlin in Poland do (they do those nice 10 strings pickups for Rotter) and a set of custom pickups from them cost roughly the same as the EMGs so I'm tempted.
I guess if there was a selection of different pickups for 8 strings and they where in the same price range (one unit 150$ shipped to Poland) I'd be definitly interested.
A neck P90 mmm that sounds like an awesome idea!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting to see interest in a P90 style pickup. It can be done if nobody is bothered by it not having a cover. Maybe a nice wood top would work on that.

Pickup covers, being 3d injection molded plastic or pressed metal, are extremely expensive things to get happening. You need a huge number of units to make that kind of thing viable.

Multiscale (f*****) pickups aren't a problem apart from the variations between instruments - that means setup costs.

Sustainer or sustainiac drivers are theoretically possible. They can't be too complicated. Legal issues might come into play.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I hadn't seen that thread..... just had a quick skim through it and the links, thanks!

That would be cool if Alan were willing to let people make drivers. Reverse engineering one probably wouldn't be difficult but I wouldn't make them without permission. I'm purely interested in making drivers for a given system, plug and play so to speak, not getting into the electronics side of it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dan, if you make seven string pickups as well as 8+, I'll grab a set on principle even if that means buying a new RG to put them in. Add me to the camp who would be interested in some more "vintage' style seven string pickups, some proper singlecoils or lower output PAF-sounding 7+ pickups. Most of the botique 7+ makers are (not surprisingly I guess) going for the metal scene, focusing on output and edge. There's kind of an opening I think for more traditional voiced pickups for those of us who play sevens because we like the feel/range, but not necessarily for downtuned chunk and djent.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Likewise, if you could make a 7 string sustainer driver... i got this totally empty credit card, right?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
ok, sustainers for 7's, 8's, 9's etc, would be amazing.
second of all, i would love more options for 8's. I cant figure where to start with a first 8, so i think i might make my own, and for that, well, you gotta love having options.
id definately be interested

')