Gear for practising?

• Thread starter Mshx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mshx

Reaction score
Hello

I'm currently in a situation where I'm going to get rid off my Blackheart HT5R.. Reason being I live in an apartment and I haven't been using it as much as I would like to..

Right now I'm thinking of buying maybe a USB soundcard, then get myself some software like Amplitube or Guitar Rig and then use that in combination with for example Reaper..

What I would like to do is being able to plug my guitar in and maybe also play along to some backing tracks and do like minor recording stuff for fun.

I've been looking at a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB soundcard which I can get used at a really good price. Then I'll need a pair of good headphones some software and I should be good to go?

Also I should note that I've got a PC running Windows 8 and I also got a 2010 Macbook Pro upgraded with 8 GB ram and SSD.. I think that I might want to use the Macbook for this?

So what should I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
You pretty much answered your own questions! Every thing you said is right.

The computer you use doesn't really matter, I'm a PC guy but I prefer Windows 7 so I'm not sure how 8 works with any DAWs. So I would think that the MacBook would be a safer option.

What is your budget?

All you really need is an interface( You called it a soundcard) and monitors or headphones.

Mshx

Reaction score
Hehe well I'm glad it was this easy :p

Well basically my questions could be summed up to:

What soundcard should I get? Would the Focusrite Saffire 6 be alright?
Which headphones/monitors are good?
Which DAW? (depends on operating systems) Mac/Windows 8. Suggestions would be great for both

And finally - Which effect simulators or plugins should I get? I've got a little experience with older versions of Guitar Rig and Amplitube but how do they compare today? And are there any better alternatives?

I guess my budget would be around $250 I can get the saffire 6 for $50 which leaves $200 for a pair of headphones and software.

Reaction score
If you're just starting out you don't need anything crazy, I'd recommend some tracking headphones. The HD280s are a good investment in my opinion. With your budget I would not recommend Monitors if your room isn't treated. Other people might have better input on this though. Personally I'd put money into headphones unless you have $400+ to spend on Monitors.

The Focusrite for 50 bucks is a great price assuming nothing is wrong with it.

As far as software goes, either Guitar Rig OR Amplitube are great for practicing. There are other alternatives (BIAS etc) but GuitarRig and Amplitube are both heavily used.

A lot of people are a fan of Reaper here and it's available for 60 bucks. I personally use Cubase.

Also, not to be nit picky but the term soundcard is generally used for on devices (connected to your motherboard). If you are researching products similar to the Focusrite, use the term interface, it will help you find what you're looking for.

Desolate

Erik Pike
Reaction score
For the money, I would get a halfway decent pair of headphones, even KG44's would work and then I would get Bias, only reason I say bias is because it is super easy to get a really desirable sound, and its very very versatile, I have very little expirience with amplitube and with guitar rig, but sort of from what I've heard I personally prefer Bias. Also if you are looking for metal sounds, you can never go wrong with TSE stuff as well as lepou. I hope everything goes well dude!

')