Gear setup

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brett89

Reaction score
jer said:
:eek:

Build one?

Hey if you have guitar building skills you go right ahead. I'd leave that to the luthiers though.

Do you intend on starting a band? Will you be playing with anyone else or just alone?

I was jokeying :) I dont have got the skills but It most be fun (and hard work).

Well I would only play with biggeners as myself becouse I think I'm not on a high level of playing nad songwriteing. And there is no much player out there who likes the music that I listen (Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal)... Soo I think I will stay as a badroom player, and if I get on the right level, I would write songs and play them on something, like a computer...

I'm not that type of kid that sais "I will be the best guitarist on the world!" you know... I much more like "Ohh man, I'm the worst player"...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jer

Banned
Reaction score
I would look at getting something like the Digitech GNX3000

Its got the ability to produce all the sounds you can ask for. It works with bass and guitar. You can even plug a mic into it and use effects for singing. (or screaming :)

You can plug headphones into it.

You can plug it into anything with an audio input. You amp, stereo, computer.

It has a usb out for recording to your PC. It comes with Cakewalk's Pro Tracks Plus software for recording.

A real all in one.

This will take you very far.

Brett89

Reaction score
jer said:
I would look at getting something like the Digitech GNX3000

Its got the ability to produce all the sounds you can ask for. It works with bass and guitar. You can even plug a mic into it and use effects for singing. (or screaming :)

You can plug headphones into it.

You can plug it into anything with an audio input. You amp, stereo, computer.

It has a usb out for recording to your PC. It comes with Cakewalk's Pro Tracks Plus software for recording.

A real all in one.

This will take you very far.

Well yeah... I'm not a big fan of digital stuffs but for that money it most be good... its 470$ in Hungary.

Can you tell me something about your gear? Your guitars, amps, effects, strings, picks etc... ?

jer

Banned
Reaction score
Teh GNX3000 is the closest to a "real" amp that I have heard.

The reason I recommend this is your budget.

You could get a nice sounding amp, and a good multi fx processor but you'd spend $1000+ (american)

This will be less than half and you can plug it into damn near anything and get good sound. Even PC speakers do well.

Check out MEMBER JUKEBOX here.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/jukebox.php?do=view&type=media&mid=1

Play the tune MIDWINTER. This was recorded on a GNX3, and recorded into similar software. AND IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!!!

The GNX3000 is a generation newer. And comes with similar software.

I had a GNX4 for the longest time. Very similar to the 3 and 3000.

Now I use a VOX AD100VT amplifier (2 12" combo with hybrid tube/solid state design)

I have a Jackson SL1 USA Soloist, a ESP LTD MH-400, a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, A Jackson RR3, A ESP LTD H-207, A ESP LTD B-104 (BASS) and an Alvarez acoustic.

I use D'Addario strings. (9's) and Dunlop tortex picks. .73 mm

I play for my own enjoyment. Not with a band.

I've been playing a while but I'm not a super talented player.

Guitar has always been a hoby, but nothing I spend tons of time on.

I have too many hobbies.

Brett89

Reaction score
Well, music is my only hobby... but its a bit expensive :)

I dont think soo that I can work together with other players, as I said, there aren't to many players in this type of music.

What kind of music do you like?

jer

Banned
Reaction score
Anything guitar driven.

My current faves are Trivium & In Flames.

I like a lot of old school metal stuff.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest.

Brett89

Reaction score
No, Trey only plays in Morbid Angel, his the "boss" at there in music

In Hate Eternal Erik Rutan plays guitar, ex-Morbid Angel secound guitarist... its a bit more brutal and chaotic music, but its good when I'm angry :)

What did you heard from Morbid Angel? My favorite is Gateways of Annhiliation album... the leads are wonderfull!

Brett89

Reaction score
jer said:
Is that the sound you are looking for?

Well yee... it could be... I love that albums sound, its soo deep, and dark soundig... I dont want to copy them so I wont buy the same guitars and amps that Morbid Angel uses... saddle but many guitarist do this... No, I want my sound, soo I still searching, but I dont think that there is THE sound for me... I think there is good, and bad tones... and any good amp and guitar can produce a "good" sound! The only thing I don"t like is a trebly, razory tone... I hate the guitar tone that hurt my ears!

jer

Banned
Reaction score
I hear ya.

If you want to set up something to do a variety of sounds you'll want to try a modeler. Unless you have a budget for multiple amplifiers. And few of us do!

I would seriously try a GNX3000 if you can afford it.

Or a GNX3 if that fits better.

Did you listen to that tune I linked from the Jukebox?

Listen tot his.

MIDWINTER

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/juk...pe=media&mid=1

Brett89

Reaction score
Oh I'm a dumbass I forgot that a listend that :wallbash:

Man, nica playing, really! Its good a good tone! How easly can you edit the drums on that thing?

And how easily can I get the right sound? If I say, I want a solid state amps overdrive sound + EQ it? Doesit color the guitars or the amps sound? The best choice for me would be a mulltieffect that I would only use for effects for solos, so it most be easy to use and call up many effects any time.

jer

Banned
Reaction score
I didnt play it. Someone named CHRIS did.
I wanted to show you that since it was played on a digitech gnx3.
I doubt the drums were played on the gnx3. I had a 4 and its drums didnt sound like that at all.

It was likely a drum synth of some type. Or a drum machine.

You can get great drum tracks using a variety of software options.

Stormdrums, BFD, Drumkit From Hell are 3 that I have used.

As for dialing in the right sounds: With modelers you will have your work cut out for you. The more options you have to adjust the easier it is to mess things up.

Luckily there are many who have already been thru that. You can download other peoples patches from message boards like this. Its not as much fun as making your own, but its a quick way to get started.

Modelers do more than just effects. They model popular amp sounds.

They will simulate different amps and cabinets.

These things sound best thru an amp with a really flat clean sound. Actually the best I have heard is a gnx4 thru a set of powered studio monitors.

You'll be surprised how good a modeler sounds thru your pc speakers. (if they are decent) And the best part is they sound great at ANY volume.

Brett89

Reaction score
Thanks for the usefull info!

And... if I buy a multtieffect... it doesnt color the amps overdrive and the guitar's sound if I ONLY use the effect like delay, chorus, phaser etc etc? NO amp, cab simulation, noisegate and such... just the effect for solo. Is it noise without noise gate?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
jer said:
I didnt play it. Someone named CHRIS did.
Yeah, the guy who runs the site ;p

you could point your questions about the sound of it towards him.

jer

Banned
Reaction score
And... if I buy a multtieffect... it doesnt color the amps overdrive and the guitar's sound if I ONLY use the effect like delay, chorus, phaser etc etc? NO amp, cab simulation, noisegate and such... just the effect for solo. Is it noise without noise gate?

Yeah, A multi effect unit is just that. Multiple effects.

A modeler mimics amp and cabinet sounds as well as offereing effects.

If you already have a great sounding clean amplifier then all you need is the effects to round it out. If you only have a mediocre sounding amp and a low budget, you can get a modeler like a PODxt or GT-6, GNX3 or 3000 and have it all. For 1 low price.

My buddy Phil just picked up a Used BOSS GT-6 for $159 at Guitar Center in Minneapolis. What a steal!

Brett89

Reaction score
Well as I said I would only use the effects, no amp and cabinat simulation...
But you know for the money I would be a usefull mullti effect, I could buy the effect I want in analogpedals :scratch:

I don't know... but this is not a problem in the moment... first I must buy a usefullguitar, but I don't have any money so I must wait a year for that :(

jer

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. THe guitar needs to come first.

It would be pretty expensive to get all the effects offered by a multi fx unit in separate pedals.

If you only need a few you may savea few bucks.

But after getting a good distortion pedal, delay, and a chorus or reverb pedal you'd be up to about $300. Add a wah and you are at or beyond a GNX3000.

Brett89

Reaction score
jer said:
Yep. THe guitar needs to come first.

It would be pretty expensive to get all the effects offered by a multi fx unit in separate pedals.

If you only need a few you may savea few bucks.

But after getting a good distortion pedal, delay, and a chorus or reverb pedal you'd be up to about $300. Add a wah and you are at or beyond a GNX3000.

Well yes, but I only need I think a Delay, a Phaser, and maybe a Chorus effect, and I use my amp's distorsion...

I just speaked with my parent about a new guitar... I told them that its only actual in the next year but they said--->:rant:

Becouse "I'm not on that level on guitar to buy a 600$ guitar and its too expensiv and its deluxe for me and blablabla... I told them that I would work for it and that this guitar is not the best for me but blablabla... :ugh:

Soo its cool :nuts:

')