Gear that you didn't expect to sound as good as it did...

• Thread starter vontetzianos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
Has there ever been an instance where you've tried a guitar, amp, pedal or a combination with the preconceived idea that it would sound terrible, only to find, to your surprise that it actually sounded rather good?

My example would have to be the Cube 60, running into a line 6 distortion pedal (which sounds horrible on the clean channel) through an old ibanez tuned to C with some pretty bad pups in it. It actually sounded extremely heavy and aggresive without any nasty top end fizz and a fat, REALLY tight low end:nuts:. I was kinda shocked.

Anyone else have experiences like this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
DigiTech RP250.

Costs <$100 for a USA-made modeling thingie with expression pedal which sounds IMO better than my Mesas at low volume and maybe 90&#37; as good at band volume.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
The Line6 Spider Valve amps. I think pretty much everyone expected them to be near the same quality as the previous solid state ones, but they turned to be damn good.

Oh, and my bandmates MG halfstack with a TS9 in front of it. You'd think it'd sound shit- not the case at all.

Bobby

Reaction score
Crate Shockwave GT3500h

Never thought it was a contender for a decent head. In the last couple days I have gotten some killer tones.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
I think you can also say the opposite happens with obscenely expensive stuff. When I try out boutique amps that cost a fortune, I find myself not understanding the justification for the price tag 90&#37; of the time. It just goes to show a bigger price tag doesn't always increase the quality of the tone.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
The Line6 Spider Valve amps. I think pretty much everyone expected them to be near the same quality as the previous solid state ones, but they turned to be damn good.

Oh, and my bandmates MG halfstack with a TS9 in front of it. You'd think it'd sound shit- not the case at all.

maybe you had a special one :lol:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score

The SpiderVulva would have to be on my "surprised" list too, for what it is, it performs well and records nicely too. Granted, it can't keep up with some amps and there is a fizziness that's hard to dial out, but it's not a bad amp either.

grogarage

stay metal
Reaction score
the roland cube 30x or something, i had my doubts but that thing is, for me,the best bedroom amp; beat box, tuner, a couple of effects and amp modeling....:yesway:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
the Cube 60 was the only shock for me,

how a little practice amp can sound so fuckin good, it has amazing death metal tones

and there it sits right now to my left with my Apex

scuse me gents, my skinny necked wife is calling

Tukaar

Bringer of DOOOOOOOM
Reaction score
My half stack. (Fender FM100) Believe it or not, I can get some rather usable tones out of it, especially for doom metal. :D I actually think that I'm going to get another of the cabinets and a cheap tube power amp to drive it. Any suggestions?

I_infect

Reaction score
Crate Shockwave GT3500h

Never thought it was a contender for a decent head. In the last couple days I have gotten some killer tones.

Have 2 of them. pretty versatile and powerful IMO for Solid States.

I have to agree with with Fender FM100 as mentioned above, I dug it when I played the combo version.

I really enjoyed The Peavey Valve King, which I heard very mixed reviews on. Thought it was pretty dynamic.

Tukaar

Bringer of DOOOOOOOM
Reaction score
Have 2 of them. pretty versatile and powerful IMO for Solid States.

I have to agree with with Fender FM100 as mentioned above, I dug it when I played the combo version.

I really enjoyed The Peavey Valve King, which I heard very mixed reviews on. Thought it was pretty dynamic.

The only thing it's really not good for, even if you boost it, is for most death metal. The only time I got a death metal tone out of the OD channel was when I was boosting it with a Boss HM-2 knockoff, so I could get the "Dismember" tone on "Like an Everflowing Stream". Got close, but ended up using the pedal with an MP-1. T00bz definitely work better for that sound, lol. :D

I_infect

Reaction score
The only thing it's really not good for, even if you boost it, is for most death metal. The only time I got a death metal tone out of the OD channel was when I was boosting it with a Boss HM-2 knockoff, so I could get the "Dismember" tone on "Like an Everflowing Stream". Got close, but ended up using the pedal with an MP-1. T00bz definitely work better for that sound, lol. :D

Yeah, not a ton of gain, but definitely enough to do alot of things. One of the more underrated solid states imo. Great prices lately on em too.

Fler

Òran Mór
Reaction score
Although I still dont think theyre overtly brilliant, I have a friend who runs his custom RRV with a blackout and gain boost preamp straight into the front of an Orange Tiny Terror with absolutely everything maxed out. By god...so much gain... Works for him, little bastard really tears it up with that.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
my girlfriends little no name 8" practice amp. With the "OD" button pushed, it sounds like it needs sideburns and a joint.

PRS SE guitars. I was expecting them to be utter crap.

Cordoba Gitano D-5. I knew they know how to make a decent budget classical, but I was expecting this guitar to just want to sound good, and not make me want to buy one as soon as I have funds.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Crate Powerblock

+1

I used a Powerblock with an SD-1 in front of it for a couple rehearsals in between selling my old amp and buying my current one. Not the greatest tone in the world, especially on the low B, but for $100 including the pedal it was usable.

')