Generic Guitar Refurb Questions

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a used RGA7 and just basically modding the shit out of it. Before i start i have a few noob-level starting questions, mostly about the 2 most major modifications.
The biggest one is for the body; I'm planning on doing a re-finish and adding a flame (flamed?) maple veneer. Since it's a carved top as opposed to a flat top, am I going to be able to properly clamp a veneer on to it?
My second concern is for the finish. I'd like it to look pretty much exactly like this, or at least as close as possible:

DC72703.jpg

I already know that I'll be able to get the burst, but will the grain/pattern on the veneer show up that dark? I've seen veneers that are barely defined, to the point where they're almost subtle. How can i get it to look like that?

The only other question is where i'd find a reverse-headstock 7 string Ibanez neck that will fit an RGA7 body. If anyone can help me out, that would be great!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OfArtAndArsenal

Reaction score
You should be able to get that finish. My only concern would be how thick is the veneer? You will have to do a fair amount of dye/sand/dye/sand work to get the flames to pop like that, so as long as your veneer isn't too thin, you should be fine. As for the neck, I don't know that Ibanez made a reverse 7-string neck at all, regardless of the neck pocket compatibility. Probably need to go custom. Talk to djohns74. Dude does really nice work.

EDIT: Just though about something. Are neck pockets symmetrical? I never thought to measure. Could you use a lefty neck on a righty guitar (or vise versa)? Anyone know?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
EDIT: Just though about something. Are neck pockets symmetrical? I never thought to measure. Could you use a lefty neck on a righty guitar (or vise versa)? Anyone know?

Depends on the neck pocket, in the case of the Ibanez AANJ: no.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Since it's a carved top as opposed to a flat top, am I going to be able to properly clamp a veneer on to it?

I think this is going to be the hardest part of your project. It will be tricky getting the veneer to conform to the arched top. Especially if you are inexperienced with the process.

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
thanks for the answers everyone! i'll have to figure this all out somehow haha

ChAoZ

Build Addict
Reaction score
It is possible to put a lefty neck on a body made for righty ,I refined the heel shape and painted the back of the neck too

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
Max up there was referring specifically to Ibanez's AANJ (All-Access Neck Joint) with is not symmetrically designed.

sdrg_aanj_290.jpg

If you're saying you put a lefty neck on a guitar with that neck joint I'd love to know how (take that in the most non-condescending manner)

Latest posts